Falls Creek Falls 6/25/08

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
meana39

Falls Creek Falls 6/25/08

Post by meana39 » June 26th, 2008, 9:58 pm

After seeing all the great photos of Falls Creek Falls I had to see for myself. My middle daughter and I hiked up there Wednesday afternoon...started around 1:15 pm and finished about 2:30. I planned on trying to find Panther Creek Falls, but started not feeling well so headed home. We did see a whole herd of elk however on the way down Panther Creek Road, about 20 of them, a Bull and two babies along with all his Cows....it was amazing and worth the whole day. Here's a few photos....overexposed of course since it was bright, bright, bright, but all that water was amazing, there was spray everywhere!
Attachments
flowystream.jpg
fallscreekfalls.jpg
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. ~John Muir

Cattrapper

Re: Falls Creek Falls 6/25/08

Post by Cattrapper » June 27th, 2008, 12:43 am

Which Falls Creek is this?
"Come visit us again and again. This is a state of excitement. But for heaven's sake, don't move here to live." Tom McCall

HeavyWeightHiker

Post by HeavyWeightHiker » June 27th, 2008, 5:04 am

This is Falls Creek Falls just north of Carson,WA

fettster

Post by fettster » June 27th, 2008, 9:08 am

This is one of my favorite short hikes. What a great falls. Any pictures of those babies? That had to been cool!

Cattrapper

Post by Cattrapper » June 27th, 2008, 1:36 pm

HeavyWeightHiker wrote:This is Falls Creek Falls just north of Carson,WA
Thanks HeavyWeight, I'll have to check these out next time I'm up that way.
"Come visit us again and again. This is a state of excitement. But for heaven's sake, don't move here to live." Tom McCall

Jane

Post by Jane » June 27th, 2008, 1:42 pm

Great shots of the falls Meana! The directions are in many guidbooks, and I added some in this trip report. http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... p=386#p386
I bet the spray from the falls would feel wonderful on a hot summer day...

meana39

Post by meana39 » June 27th, 2008, 6:02 pm

fettster wrote:This is one of my favorite short hikes. What a great falls. Any pictures of those babies? That had to been cool!
No...sadly when I got back from the hike I put my camera on the back seat next to my backpack....so of course couldn't get to it in time to capture the elk. One of those special moments to keep in my memory! It was pretty awesome, the first Bull Elk I'd ever seen in the wild, and only about 15 feet from me.
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. ~John Muir

meana39

Post by meana39 » June 27th, 2008, 6:06 pm

Jane wrote:Great shots of the falls Meana! The directions are in many guidbooks, and I added some in this trip report. http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... p=386#p386
I bet the spray from the falls would feel wonderful on a hot summer day...
It was your directions I was trying to follow when going towards the Panther Creek Falls. But I got confused with the intersection with the right and left roads as to which way to go. It seems after re-reading your directions I took the right way (road 65) but I just didn't go far enough. Next time when I'm feeling better. I've lived in Carson most of my life and have never seen Panther Creek Falls. So soon!

Thanks for the great directions though! I think I'll find them now.

Jane

Post by Jane » June 28th, 2008, 7:18 am

Hey Meana, it can be tricky as there is no sign, but the gravel lot is pretty big and you would notice, and yes, there are other roads that connect on the way and it seems confusing. Hopefully you are feeling better, abd can try that another time!

AlexanderSupertramp

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » June 28th, 2008, 8:47 am

There is also a scramble trail a short ways away from the viewing platform. There are really good views of the falls from the base of it. A whole lotta spray though. This was the best (driest) pic I could get from down there.