Anish (PCT Speed Attempt) Approaches

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
4DMTNS

Anish (PCT Speed Attempt) Approaches

Post by 4DMTNS » July 21st, 2013, 4:29 pm

For all you potential or actual PCT trail angel types ... 31yr old Anish (Heather Anderson) is attempting to set the 2013 Pacific Crest Trail Fastest Known Time by a female thru-hiker.

She started the trail on June 10th, knocked out the 1700 miles thru California in 40 days, and entered Oregon late in the evening of July 18.

She is doing this attempt as an 'unassisted' or 'self-supported' hiker, which means she will NOT have anyone following, or otherwise meeting her in a prearranged manner to give her support.

She usually puts in more than 40 miles per day, sometimes she'll pull a 50 mile day. When in the high-Sierras, she did Forester Pass 13,200ft, Glen Pass 11,947ft, Pinchot Pass 13,200ft, Mather Pass 12,096ft and Muir Pass 11,973 ft in a two day, 79-mile trek!

In Oregon the terrain often allows the thru-hikers to put in more miles per day, so she could easily average 45-49 miles per day ... or even more.

A friend of mine has family in town for a few weeks and they wanted to do some trail magic, so I did some calculations for when Anish could be hiking through the Ollalie Lake area:

The Oregon border is at mile 1698; the Ollalie Lake trailhead is at mile 2053. It's only 358 miles.

• If 40 mpd, Ollalie TH in 9days (Fri 26July)
• If 45 mpd, Ollalie TH in 8days (Thurs 25July)
• If 48 mpd, Ollalie TH in 7days (early/mid-day Weds 24July)
• If 52 mpd, Ollalie TH in 6days (late Tues 23July)

Trail Magic is acceptable as long as it is NOT planned and coordinated. Several hikers on the PCT list serve have reported she could benefit from some high-calorie items such as candy bars, cookies, GU packets, cold non-diet sodas, cold gatorade, etc. She appears to be semi-vegetarian based on posts I've read so I would avoid meat products. She is eating cheese products.

She keeps a very limited FaceBook blog that is accessible without having an account. https://m.facebook.com/AnishHikes?refid=17

In my humble opinion she is one serious bad-ass woman!

Oh yeah, the current speed record holders are Scott Williamson AKA 'Bink' and Adam Bradley AKA 'Krudmeister' who co-hold the current record of 65d, 9h, 58m which was set in 2009.

There are a few other fast hikers approaching our area, the herd appears to be spread between Sierra City (mile 1197) and Burney Falls State Park (mile 1423) with the tail-end of the hikers still making their way north of Yosemite (mile 960).
I'm almost always the sweep on my hikes ... it gives me an opportunity to taste test all the edible berries I seem to find.

Where's Chris?
Instagram WhereIsChrisNow

raven

Re: Anish (PCT Speed Attempt) Approaches

Post by raven » July 21st, 2013, 6:25 pm

It would be appreciated by all would-be trail angels, I am certain, if this topic were updated with sightings and better projections of her arrivals.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 21st, 2013, 6:36 pm

When will she be at Barlow Pass, Timberline Lodge, Cascade Locks? Or maybe she doesn't need trail magic there because there are stores and things?

Great story. I always like seeing thru-hikers. Post updates when other people are coming through.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » July 21st, 2013, 6:42 pm

Hmm, I'll be heading south from McKenzie pass on Tuesday. When will she be between there and the Sisters?

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

4DMTNS

Post by 4DMTNS » July 21st, 2013, 7:14 pm

@Don: I cannot be certain but it you might run into her. If she is doing 45-50 mpd in that area, she should br heading past McKenzie pass (mile 2005) late Monday/early Tuesday.

@Raven/Jerry: I'll do my best to update with miles as she posts them. I wish I could provide better estimates, my only contact with her is as a follower of her blog.

When the herd approaches, I'll start another trip report thread and keep it updated with sightings/miles for the 8-10 hikers I'm watching who are scattered throughout the herd.
I'm almost always the sweep on my hikes ... it gives me an opportunity to taste test all the edible berries I seem to find.

Where's Chris?
Instagram WhereIsChrisNow

potato

Post by potato » July 21st, 2013, 7:24 pm

Impressive... Unless things get a lot harder in WA it seems she has a chance at beating 65 days?
self observing universe (main blog)
Joe hikes (PCT blog)
Laws of Nature (bandcamp)

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » July 21st, 2013, 7:42 pm

4DMTNS wrote:@Don: I cannot be certain but it you might run into her. If she is doing 45-50 mpd in that area, she should br heading past McKenzie pass (mile 2005) late Monday/early Tuesday.

Ok, I'll throw a few extras in the pack and share if I run into her. I'll be going CCW from Mackenzie Pass early Tuesday and crossing the pass between the Middle and South Sisters and returning via the East side trail system. Amazing young woman!!

Thanks for posting this.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

kedbro

Post by kedbro » July 21st, 2013, 11:33 pm

Actually met her randomly in the Siskiyous right before she made it into Oregon last week. Gave her some extra chocolate and water. All smiles!

joerunner

Post by joerunner » July 22nd, 2013, 11:47 am

I remember Heather from Plain last year. She is one heck of an athlete.

Water

Post by Water » July 22nd, 2013, 11:33 pm

incredible speed!

4DMTNS thought it was kind of crazy to see Krudmeister's name here on PH.org!! He thru'd the AT in 07 as El Monstro Ort (I believe). My wife and I (Bucket and Water) were on the AT in 07 though we never met Adam that year, somehow I became linked through facebook and two winters ago we went down to Reno and did a snowshoe/snowcampcabin thing with him. Lately he has been focusing his efforts north..way north--last summer riding his bike to SE Alaska and then carrying a collapsible canoe a number of miles to the yukon river and floating it to the ocean.
Feel Free to Feel Free