Burnt Lake May 31 - just some cell phone photos

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
puma111

Burnt Lake May 31 - just some cell phone photos

Post by puma111 » June 4th, 2013, 9:01 pm

This is my first real trip report. I figure I should stop lurking and share a little? Burnt Lake was great - no real snow to speak of (none that hinders getting up there anyway)...and still one of my very favorite Mt. Hood hikes.

I was on my way to the Gorge but decided to go to Burnt Lake instead to see what was going on up there on May 31st. Turned out to be a great hike.

Got to the trailhead - happily no large tree blocking road as I had read in someone else's report lately. And I was the only one there - looked like it would be just me and the dog.
TrailHead.jpg
Started out, remembering why I love this hike - not crowded on weekdays, and nice, easy walk through beautiful forest to start. After breaking my ankle skiing last December, I'm still getting back into it. The easy grade, solitude, scenery, and greenery of this trail were all great motivators.
flowers.jpg
At the first stream crossing, I guess karma thought my left foot was way too warm and dry, because I slipped off a rock into the refreshing water. Hmm. Made me reconsider those poles I've been thinking about buying. Or, at least next time I will bring an extra pair of socks. Hiking in squishy cold wet socks wasn't as bad as I thought it would be though...so on I went!
mthood.jpg
Love these views. Sorry I missed out on lots of skiing this year because of my leg...but thankful I am healing and can still enjoy this mountain...

There was just a little snow on the trail close to the lake (oh, snow, how I missed you this year!!). I freed this tree from its burden when I passed it - and it was so springy and happy without the snow weighing it down!
snowontree.jpg
When I got to the lake I was surprised to see another hiker, since I hadn't seen any other cars at the trailhead. I think it might have been retired jerry? I'm curious - what were you carrying? Looked like a red dog collar....bear bells?

Sat for a bit and tried to dry out my sock, had a snack, and headed back down. It is so amazing up there. I didn't get any great mountain reflection shots - only had my phone for pictures...and the clouds kept obstructing the view when I was in the right spot. But, I did get a cool reflection shot :
reflection.jpg
Awesome day for me - not a huge hike for some, but 5 months post-op with my new metal ankle I felt great making it up and back. Thanks Mt. Hood :-)

retired jerry

Re: Burnt Lake May 31 - just some cell phone photos

Post by retired jerry » June 4th, 2013, 9:24 pm

I agree - Burnt Lake is a nice hike - although it can be pretty busy sometimes.

The night of the 30th I camped near the trailhead and I hiked over to Ramona Falls on the 31st. You likely passed my campsite, about a mile from the trailhead. About 6 groups of people walked by.

coder

Post by coder » June 4th, 2013, 11:08 pm

Nice, I was up at Burnt the next day. I tried to go to Zig Zag, but there was a lot of snow and my boots weren't holding up. The lake was pretty, but the water is still high and the loop trail is under about 8 inches of water.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 5th, 2013, 5:44 am

Yeah, that loop trail around the lake goes over to some nicer campsites but I didn't feel like getting my shoes wet

puma111

Post by puma111 » June 5th, 2013, 8:02 am

True - it was pretty wet around the lake - I didn't go too far around because of that. Re: crowds, I guess I lucked out the day I went, then! I usually get a later start and hike on weekdays when I'm off work. Me and my dog actually passed you at the lake itself - but I think I saw your campsite on my way back out. Was such a nice day! I'll have to try going up Zigzag next time....