Adventures in Arches and Canyonlands National Parks - 4/2013

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Born2BBrad

Re: Adventures in Arches and Canyonlands National Parks - 4/

Post by Born2BBrad » May 16th, 2013, 12:37 pm

I love it!

I would like to get back to Utah again someday, maybe Bryce Canyon.

That's a long way to drive.

Great TR and pics, as ususal.

Brad
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

arieshiker

Post by arieshiker » May 16th, 2013, 12:46 pm

Next to Monument Valley, those areas are among the most gorgeous in the US - IMHO.... if/when you go to Bryce, give yourself an extra day (or two) for acclimatizing....the campgrounds are close to 8000 ft, and if you've been at our elevations long enough, it's a lung buster. Most of the trails lose 500-800 feet, then regain it (obviously) so expect headaches now and then. By comparison Arches & Canyonlands stay at or well below 6000. Bryce will usually get some cold snow until really late May, but it's less crowded when it's cold, and the trails are often yours alone. I did one hike in Bryce where I started out in sun, went through cold winds and hard rain, then some hail and when I got back to the campground it was sunny again - about four hours time. My last night there (this was very late April a few years back), a snow storm passed through and left snow everywhere but the roads. Just outside of Zion, the li'l ghost town of Grafton sits, which hosts the buildings used in the Butch Cassidy movie - neat place, just a gnarly road. True gems and great images.

roadtripmom

Post by roadtripmom » May 16th, 2013, 5:30 pm

I haven't been to that area since I was a kid. Thank you for the memories ! Your photos are really wonderful and it is obvious what an incredible time you had. Those stars !!!
Filling my bucket, one hike at a time.
Amanda

Chase

Post by Chase » May 16th, 2013, 5:40 pm

Love it!

weathercrazy

Post by weathercrazy » May 16th, 2013, 6:02 pm

I went to Utah a few years ago, and I made the mistake of not leaving myself anywhere close to enough time.

I think Utah is one of America's best kept secrets. My parents went there later that year, and it too was their favorite of their entire trip through the SW.

Even flying over Utah, it's amazing with the rock formations, and the rock color!

My recommendation for Utah is about a month. Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Zion and Bryce Canyon are just a few places to visit! Zion was one of my favorites!

kelkev

Post by kelkev » May 16th, 2013, 7:22 pm

Wow. Awesome. Amazing photos and great report. Never been there before, but this pushes the need to visit sooner than later. Now, I just need to make the time!
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir

raftingdog

Post by raftingdog » May 16th, 2013, 7:47 pm

great report....I stay at Lazy Lizard Hostel where you were...interesting mix of people there...guided 4 day canoe trip in Green River Labyrinth section easy paddling and interesting canyons to explore...many young people enjoy rim rock bike trails above Moab....outside Twin Falls my place to sleep on trip home may find early morning base jumpers parachuting off bridge into Snake River canyon....worth stopping to watch

Karl Helser

Post by Karl Helser » May 17th, 2013, 7:50 am

Excellent TR with beautiful pics. Tell your sister Hi for me...
Karl

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » May 17th, 2013, 1:55 pm

Thanks, Cheryl - what a great adventure! Gorgeous photos, just like being there. Brings back lots of fond memories, as we used to go down there quite often. Did you do any Edward Abbey reading while you were in Arches?

Tom :)

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » May 17th, 2013, 3:34 pm

Splintercat wrote:Did you do any Edward Abbey reading while you were in Arches?
As a matter of fact, I did! I started Desert Solitaire before we left but only got about a quarter of the way through it since I was so busy planning and packing. So I brought it along with me and it was my bedtime reading every night except when we were backpacking. He has some....uh, colorful things to say about the Park Service. And he was clearly not a fan of vehicles being allowed into national parks, suggesting that everyone should have to leave their cars at the entrance and either walk in on foot or ride in on mule or horse. I think he would be pretty horrified at the enormous number of RVs that crowd the parks now.

It wasn't until after we visited Arches that I found out where Abbey's trailer was that summer he worked there back when it was still just a national monument. It used to be near Balanced Rock, a place where we didn't stop because of lack of time. Oh well, next time!