Hardy Double-Ham Loop, 11-May-2013

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Peder

Re: Hardy Double-Ham Loop, 11-May-2013

Post by Peder » May 14th, 2013, 6:03 pm

Karl - I had to look up FWIW... I am still way behind the times! We already have an appointment with Spirit Lake this summer, and hopefully I can also entice you to other trips in the Coldwater - Margaret - Whittier region. Furthermore, I have my eyes on something called Deadman's Lake and Vanson Lake, so as long as your wife pass does not expire!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 14th, 2013, 6:12 pm

Heh, sorry, very close relative of "FYI". I may be a newbie here, but I've been online most of those last 30 years of sitting on my tush! :)

You know MSH is, to me, about as special as a place gets. Always open to ideas in that area! I haven't heard of either of those lakes, "and with a name like that....", why wouldn't I be interested!? :lol:
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » May 14th, 2013, 6:16 pm

kepPNW wrote:
mayhem wrote:Ok, ok, it happened :) I really like the interactive pano's...Bammmola to double Hamola!!
Heh... Thanks, man!
Crusak wrote:I've often wondered about how I could make a more interesting loop than the standard clockwise lolly pop Hamilton hike. By the looks of it you hiked... everything!

Nice report and great detail. I'm grabbing your track. ;)
Yeah, some of the final loony-loops could easily be eliminated to get that Hammy-Hardy main loop down to (pretty sure?) the 15 mile range, or so. That lower-lollypop loop added 2.5 miles alone.

Just watch that darned bushwhack back up to Phlox Point. I thought I had EP's mapset on my GPS, but now I'm puzzled. In Basecamp, there's a little trail that appears between the road and the point:
capture.jpg
From my track, you'll see that I actually stopped and looked at that trail. Then rejected it as far too unlikely to be what I was looking for. If I did this again, I'd definitely try turning at that first (circled in blue) gidgy-goo, there! I probably should've futzed with the GPS more, but that schwak-trail was not on my display when I needed it. :| I did have a printout with me, though, so I was just hazarding a route based on that and where the GPS was saying I was.

(Suppose the Gorge Mapset folk has a tech support hotline? :lol:)
:lol:

I'm pretty sure that bogus dashed line up to Phlox was already in some of the data I borrowed and I didn't
add the known real route that is mentioned with the cairn off the road that heads up.

I will write this down and correct this for the next update, thanks! :)

mayhem

Post by mayhem » May 14th, 2013, 6:18 pm

Eric Peterson wrote:
kepPNW wrote:
mayhem wrote:Ok, ok, it happened :) I really like the interactive pano's...Bammmola to double Hamola!!
Heh... Thanks, man!
Crusak wrote:I've often wondered about how I could make a more interesting loop than the standard clockwise lolly pop Hamilton hike. By the looks of it you hiked... everything!

Nice report and great detail. I'm grabbing your track. ;)
Yeah, some of the final loony-loops could easily be eliminated to get that Hammy-Hardy main loop down to (pretty sure?) the 15 mile range, or so. That lower-lollypop loop added 2.5 miles alone.

Just watch that darned bushwhack back up to Phlox Point. I thought I had EP's mapset on my GPS, but now I'm puzzled. In Basecamp, there's a little trail that appears between the road and the point:
capture.jpg
From my track, you'll see that I actually stopped and looked at that trail. Then rejected it as far too unlikely to be what I was looking for. If I did this again, I'd definitely try turning at that first (circled in blue) gidgy-goo, there! I probably should've futzed with the GPS more, but that schwak-trail was not on my display when I needed it. :| I did have a printout with me, though, so I was just hazarding a route based on that and where the GPS was saying I was.

(Suppose the Gorge Mapset folk has a tech support hotline? :lol:)
:lol:

I'm pretty sure that bogus dashed line up to Phlox was already in some of the data I borrowed and I didn't
add the known real route that is mentioned with the cairn off the road that heads up.

I will write this down and correct this for the next update, thanks! :)
Or just go hike it with GPS & get the real fake data :)
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » May 14th, 2013, 6:22 pm

I already have the real fake data, that's how I will fix it. Hiked up to Phlox PT. back on Labor
Day with Peder, JoJo, Sean and Brad2BeBrad...

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 14th, 2013, 6:27 pm

Eric Peterson wrote:I already have the real fake data, that's how I will fix it. Hiked up to Phlox PT. back on Labor
Day with Peder, JoJo, Sean and Brad2BeBrad...
Is that on gpsfly? I'd be real interested in laying your track on mine, to see how far off I was. (No one should be following my route! Imposssible to pick a brushier one! :lol:) From beag's and Guy's descriptions, it sounds like that dashed line isn't all that far off. At least the junction for it, anyway.
Karl

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » May 14th, 2013, 6:45 pm

I'll check dude...

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » May 14th, 2013, 6:46 pm

Here you are sir -

http://gpsfly.org/g/1835

Guy

Post by Guy » May 14th, 2013, 7:01 pm

Is that on gpsfly? I'd be real interested in laying your track on mine, to see how far off I was. (No one should be following my route! Imposssible to pick a brushier one! ) From beag's and Guy's descriptions, it sounds like that dashed line isn't all that far off. At least the junction for it, anyway.
Hey Eric I think that dotted line up to Phlox is one of the tracks I sent you. It comes from this trip with beag, Don & Brad last June:
http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... 10&t=11919
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 14th, 2013, 7:10 pm

Heh... Crap! Lookit this!
capture.jpg
Yours in blue, mine in red.
Dunno what to say... Did you feel you had a trail, of any sort, underfoot that whole way? I might have felt that in portions, but it sure disappeared more than made itself known. In fact, I'm almost sure that the area of overlap there may have been the part I felt was the worst of all. Weird, huh?

Thanks!
Karl