Bumping into Trail Running Legend BCJ - Elk MT 5.11.13

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Eric Peterson

Re: Bumping into Trail Running Legend BCJ - Elk MT 5.11.13

Post by Eric Peterson » May 12th, 2013, 2:34 pm

Cool, so my saggy new shoes pictured are the Cascadia 8's from Brooks and I'm getting ready
to return them in just a short while for something that actually has some forefoot cushion!!

Oh and some of the cleats on the sole are already tearing, from 1 hike/shuffle!!

Heel cushion is perfect but the balls of my feet under the big toes on both shoes were
just killing me after this little 17 mile hike. Maybe actually trail running in them works better
but I would think just trail hiking/speed hiking with occasional down hill shuffling, one wouldn't
feel anything after wearing these! Oh well.

Not sure who writes all those positive reviews I see on REI but I think some must be
industry 'plants' ie: fictitious.

Back to Return Every Item shortly...

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 12th, 2013, 2:47 pm

Same ones you wore on Silver Star?

That same spot on my feet are killing today, after 22 miles in a pair of New Balance 889s yesterday. Not good.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » May 12th, 2013, 3:00 pm

kepPNW wrote:Same ones you wore on Silver Star?

That same spot on my feet are killing today, after 22 miles in a pair of New Balance 889s yesterday. Not good.
No, I returned those Brooks Ghost's as I learned after the fact that they are not trail runners even though
the REI guy confirmed that they were. They are still located in the trail running section which could have
lead to the initial confusion. REI had no problem taking them back since this was the case, but they
really have no problems taking anything back anyway since they need gently used items for their
used gear sales?

Have to mention this isn't a slam on REI, I'm not sure what other retailer would even allow this
apparent silliness and they keep apologizing every time I return a pair of shoes :shock:

I had been using Ahnu's for almost a year now and generally they feel great after super long hikes, like
circling Hood's TT etc., but I wanted to get into some kicks that were even lighter however after the last
3 pairs of shoes failing I might just go back to the heavier more rugged Ahnu's.

The cross training style Ahnu's just aren't that great for the occasional jog/shuffle on the trail...

mayhem

Post by mayhem » May 12th, 2013, 3:34 pm

kepPNW wrote:Same ones you wore on Silver Star?

No TR! it did not happen! :)
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 12th, 2013, 3:53 pm

mayhem wrote:
kepPNW wrote:That same spot on my feet are killing today, after 22 miles in a pair of New Balance 889s yesterday. Not good.
No TR! it did not happen! :)
:lol:

Still recovering from the bushwhack!

Halfway through...
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

BCJ

Post by BCJ » May 12th, 2013, 4:51 pm

Ha! Trail running legend may be a touch generous :)

It was great finally meeting you guys! I enjoyed getting to hang out on top of Elk with you for a bit. It was a good day for some heat training; about as muggy as I ever remember it being up there. I'll have to head up the Idiot Mtn trail next time.

Roy, wish I knew it was you on the way down...would have stopped and said hello.

The steep parts of the Kings-Elk Loop were all pretty loose and gravelly with how dry it's been lately...definitely made for slower going on the downhills.

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » May 12th, 2013, 7:13 pm

BCJ, the pleasure was all OURS! :)

It's always fun meeting the avatar against the real persona! I figured you for a little older too
but I think I was confusing you with Bruce who also uses the Kings/Elk trails as a conditioning hike.

I'm still not sure how anyone runs uphill for extended periods of time like you were! 8-)

MarsIsCobra

Post by MarsIsCobra » May 12th, 2013, 7:36 pm

Should I post the picture of my legs and shoes after the 30 mile Friday? :lol: Oh no. You don't want to see that. But I do have one...

Poor EP. what happened to his TR thread??? :)

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » May 12th, 2013, 8:32 pm

MarsIsCobra wrote:Should I post the picture of my legs and shoes after the 30 mile Friday? :lol: Oh no. You don't want to see that. But I do have one...

Poor EP. what happened to his TR thread??? :)
I don't care what happened to it!

er0ck

Post by er0ck » May 12th, 2013, 8:47 pm

does EP have a TR thread?

i recently got some montrail mountain masochist II

incredibly light weight. keep most of the dew on grass out, and when they do get wet they dry quickly while hiking.

my 10s are a bit small for my 10 feet, so my toes hit when going downhill if i don't tie them tight enough.
i'd get 10.5s next time, and i'd probably buy them again.

good luck, EP!

oh, and WTF is WRT? Wilson River Thru? Wilson River Trans?
bad knees rules everything around me.