Balsamroot adoration - 5/5/2013

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
justpeachy

Balsamroot adoration - 5/5/2013

Post by justpeachy » May 7th, 2013, 6:46 am

The peak of the balsamroot bloom this year happened while I was on vacation in Utah. I adore balsamroot, so on Sunday Greg and I drove out to the eastern Gorge to check out the beautiful yellow flowers before they were all gone.

Dalles Mountain Ranch

Except for one other couple, who left about 10 minutes after we got there, we had the place pretty much to ourselves. We spent half an hour delighting in the flowers near the gate and for that first quarter mile of road beyond the gate. The balsamroot were definitely past peak and starting to look a little ragged. The lupine looked great, though. Also, it was such a clear day that we could see Mt. Jefferson in the distance. :D

I noticed a sign at the TH that I hadn't seen before. Not surprising, since this is owned by Washington State Parks, but the sign indicates you can buy a pass in the park, even though there is no pay station there.

Tom McCall Nature Preserve (aka Rowena Plateau)

Here too the balsamroot was past its peak, but still looking fine enough for photos.

When we first arrived here we were surprised to see that most of the parking at the viewpoint was closed off with orange cones.

As we were wrapping up we saw a convoy of vehicles, one of which had a camera on it, pull up from the direction of Mosier. Probably filming a commercial or something, I imagine.

They were taking a lunch break and all that coned area filled up with support vehicles, including an RV with a noisy generator.

Surely these guys had to get permits to do their filming. I was pretty surprised that they would be allowed to do their filming on a) a weekend, and b) during the height of the busy wildflower season here. Hundreds of cars, people, and cyclists descend on this area in spring. The film crew took up more than half the parking and their noisy generator was a nuisance. I was glad that we left soon after they arrived.

raftingdog

Re: Balsamroot adoration - 5/5/2013

Post by raftingdog » May 7th, 2013, 7:45 am

months ago.....crew was forbidding people from crossing pedestrian bridge going to top of Multnomah falls....filming a couple on bridge...they had 3 large trailers full of equipment....law enforcement was present...some dotcom commercial....

airoff

Post by airoff » May 7th, 2013, 8:15 am

There was a comment on the Friends of the Gorge facebook page that indicated they were filming a scene for the tv show "Leverage" there this weekend. Mystery solved! ;-)

Astounding photos by the way!

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » May 7th, 2013, 8:20 am

airoff

Post by airoff » May 7th, 2013, 8:26 am

I've never seen the show myself; they made mention of it on their page and asked if anyone saw the actual filming of the 'stunt scene' . I I forgot all about it until I saw your tr. Beats me! :P

Chase

Post by Chase » May 7th, 2013, 9:41 am

I believe you can film most any time if you fill out the proper paperwork and pay the fees. Some info for filming in the city of Portland is here. The fees go up as you need additional security/ law enforcement/ rangers, use of parks or sidewalks, blowing stuff up, etc. My understanding is that they will likely give you the permit for any day, any time, as long as there is not another event scheduled there for the day or it will not cause some catastrophic traffic issue. This is just an example for the city of Portland, but it is similar in most other places.

BigBear

Post by BigBear » May 7th, 2013, 11:58 am

Wasn't it Harry Truman who once said "the business of America IS business?" I have been prevented from hiking a handful of routes myself due to the shooting of movies or commercials over the years. Surprisingly, they seem to shoot on the weekends instead of the weekdays. Doesn't make any sense.

That second photo of yours at Rowena Point looks awfully familiar. Did you notice my footprints from Saturday?

Also of interest, we saw two people with dogs on Tom McCall Point. Inspite of the posted prohibition (agian, too bad that dogs can't read), they chose to exercise their I'm-more-important-than-you attitudes. One woman, who was part of a wildflower group said, "it's the only way to get to the Forest Service land so I did it." Now there's a "the end justifies the means" defensive posture for you. Anyone know who the leader wa son that Saturday wildflower hike? Seems like someone needs a refresher on how to read the rules.

And, yes the flowers were grand. Thank goodness for the breeze blowing all day or it would have been a terribly uncomfortable day.

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » May 7th, 2013, 12:26 pm

They were filming a car commercial. We were there on Sunday too!

It's a shame we missed you - that would have been twice in 2 weeks! Great minds think alike. :D
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

Chase

Post by Chase » May 7th, 2013, 12:33 pm

justpeachy wrote:b) during the height of the busy wildflower season here. Hundreds of cars, people, and cyclists descend on this area in spring. The film crew took up more than half the parking and their noisy generator was a nuisance. I was glad that we left soon after they arrived.

If I had to film a car commercial, I'd sure want to do it during the height of the wildflower season. And I doubt the big shots in the corporate offices that make these decisions care about inconveniencing anyone's hike.

hlee

Post by hlee » May 7th, 2013, 12:50 pm

Gorgeous photos! I was there almost two weeks ago, but my pictures did not come out as skillfully as yours.

Hannah

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.
-- T.S. Eliot