Nesmith Point on a beautiful day 5-4-13

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
mjirving

Nesmith Point on a beautiful day 5-4-13

Post by mjirving » May 5th, 2013, 5:47 am

For a full and more detailed report with more pictures, please click-through to my blog:
http://goaltechhikes.blogspot.com

For a 5-min video on the hike, click-through to my hike video:
https://vimeo.com/65485984

It was a beautiful and early morning for my 1st-time hike to the top of Nesmith Point. With my 5:30am start it was a hike in solitude to the top. The switchbacks were brutal, but with perspective, much easier than Munra the week before! I was curious about a mile in by the creek where the steep switchbacks begin is supposedly a continuation of Trail 400. It didn't seem very obvious to me...does it keep going through there?

It was about 2 1/2 hours to the top and I was glad to be aware of both viewpoints as the 2nd one just over and down from the summit a 100 yards or so is the better viewpoint. There was a little snow on the backside of the crest with about 100 feet of it in sections on the trail that I had to get through. It was pretty easy going though with no issues of losing the trail at all.

On the way down I ran into about 10 parties including a couple guys from Vancouver who had read my Munra Point post from the week before so that was kind of a fun connection. They were looking to hike Munra after Nesmith...now there's some punishment for the legs!

All in all it was a great morning on the trails! Here are a few of my favorite pictures from the hike.

-GoalTech

Mt Adams at sunrise:
IMG_9052.jpg
Portland from the top:
IMG_9084.jpg
The view north from the top...Beacon Rock and St Helens:
IMG_9087.jpg
Flowers:
IMG_9092.jpg
What are these called?:
IMG_9098.jpg
Trillium:
IMG_9062.jpg
The hike:
IMG_9102.jpg

Chase

Re: Nesmith Point on a beautiful day 5-4-13

Post by Chase » May 5th, 2013, 6:02 am

Snow is all gone?

Great to see you are making the most of your weekends.

(Autocorrect wanted me to say "great to see you are a king..." That might be more correct!)

mjirving

Post by mjirving » May 5th, 2013, 6:11 am

Just a touch left Chase, but nothing of significance. I felt like a king after knocking off that climb! ;-)

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » May 5th, 2013, 7:20 am

mjirving wrote:I was curious about a mile in by the creek where the steep switchbacks begin is supposedly a continuation of Trail 400. It didn't seem very obvious to me...does it keep going through there?
When the trail switchbacks sharply left at the creek, there's a little path off right that crosses the creek... and promptly disappears in the alder sapling debris field from the landslide 15 or so years ago. I went through there with Don Nelsen back in December and there are bits of trail here and there, but for practical purposes, the trail is gone.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

mjirving

Post by mjirving » May 5th, 2013, 8:02 am

OK that makes sense as it looked like some trail remnants that went to a dead end. I even saw a 4x4 post tipped over which maybe was the old intersection marker.

peanut170

Post by peanut170 » May 5th, 2013, 1:32 pm

Yes mjirving, i was one of the guys from Vancouver, had a nice chat, and was nice to meet someone from the forum. We did end up doing the Munra point hike also, and glad we did. Was much more impressed with their, than up nesmith. But keep the reports coming, its nice to get some insight, before i head up. So thank you.

mjirving

Post by mjirving » May 5th, 2013, 2:03 pm

Peanut, did you do the loop you talked about or did you come back? Make it out to the end of the point? Maybe next time for me.

peanut170

Post by peanut170 » May 5th, 2013, 6:04 pm

No we came back down and walked along trail 400 weaving through the construction, till we got to the trail. Then on the way back we just walked along the freeway cause id had enough elevation gain for 1 day. But at the top of Munra i could see there was a continued trail for a ways up the ridge, so it looks like it is a possibility. But since ive never tried anything like that, we decided if we got a little confused its a long trip to backtrack.

rick6003

Post by rick6003 » May 5th, 2013, 9:15 pm

Probably best that you didn't. Most all the hike variations that start from the point are 12 miles or more. There are numerous reports of routes.
We sometimes just go up Munra South to the last nice climb. Climb up and down then head back.
i think most do the Tanner creek loop.
Munra is the best low level veiw in the Gorge.