A Little Beacon, an old Cabin & Hamilton Mt.- 04/28/2013

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Guy

A Little Beacon, an old Cabin & Hamilton Mt.- 04/28/2013

Post by Guy » April 29th, 2013, 4:50 pm

So a Discover Pass Free weekend meant a trip to Beacon Rock State Park for Chiyoko & I. Our plan was to tick a few things off the list that we hadn't seen in the area before. The first, of all things was Little Beacon Rock! Part of the shortest loop in the park yet we had never bothered taking the side trip to go & see it!

So this time from the trail head we walked up the road to the campground then took the trail from there over to Little Beacon Rock.

Image Image

Its a neat little area if you haven't seen it before!

Image Image

From here we continued on to the trail junction with the Hardy Mountain trail. Next on our list for the day was to find the old cabin / falling down shed that is just to the West of the Hardy Mt. Trail & North of the power lines. We left the trail right after walking under the power lines & headed up hill. When we were still within sight of the trail we heard a call of "Hello" from below, Looking down it was Spitfire beginning what would be a marathon day & it wouldn't be the last time we would see her!

The Bushwhack up to the Cabin was pretty easy going as bushwhacks go & we soon found what was left of it!

Image Image

The curious thing is it seems at one time it had electricity! maybe the owner had a few hundred feet of cable & a couple of alligator clips connected to the closest Pylon ;) ..

Image Image

Rather than return the way we came we decided to continue our bushwhack westward over to the equestrian trail system. This started out very well, in fact I'm pretty sure we were on more than a game trail for much of the way, more like an old time use trail that had been forgotten about, there was still the remains of some old brittle flagging tape along the way.

I'm not sure if we just lost the trail or it faded away (I'm pretty sure we lost it) but about a quarter of a mile before the main trail up from the equestrian trail head we found ourselves in lots of scrubby Vine Maple & I made the mistake of heading NW when I should have stayed on a more Westerly line.

We spent about 15 minutes more than we should have thrashing around in the brush before emerging on the equestrian side lower loop trail just past the Hardy Ridge East / West trail junction. From here we hiked along the old road up to the Hardy Creek crossing & then on up to the Dons Trail Junction.

It was raining a bit by now so the shelter of the trees on Dons trail was welcome.

Image Image

When we got up to the Saddle it was still too early for lunch & we needed a couple of extra miles & so decided to hike the short loop North of the Saddle on the old logging roads. Where the East & West Ridge roads come back together there is a short spur road up to a clearing that is at almost the same elevation as Hamilton Mt (2400'). There used to be something up here but now it's just a flat open space!

We returned to the Saddle on the East side road which I thought was a bit more interesting than the West. we went through a grove of old Hemlocks including this one which has completely rotted out inside but is still alive!

Once back at the Saddle we headed for the Summit of Hamilton, the rain had stopped & there was even the occasional sun break!

Until this point we hadn't seen too many other people but that soon changed, there was a steady stream of people doing the Hamilton Loop & there must have been 15 to 20 people on the Summit when we got there. We didn't hang around!

as we began heading down from the Summit we saw Spitfire coming up the trail towards us, she was on her third Hamilton Summit for the day & it was only 1:15 :o

On the way down we decided to take the alternative cliff top trail, there are some cool extra views this way but if you don't like steep drop offs you shouldn't go this way!

Image Image

Looking back up at Hamilton we could see Spitfire again powering down on her 3rd. decent.

Once back on the regular trail it was a just a quick hike down & past the Falls & on to the trailhead.

Image Image

The parking area at the trailhead was like it used to be before there was a Discover Pass - Full! They even had to dust the cobwebs off the Car Park Full sign and set it up ;) ..

With the side trips we had just shy of 11 miles & just over 3000' logged for the day.

We finished off our outing at the Cascade Locks Eastwind Dinner with our first Ice Cream of 2013 :) ..

A few more pics of the day here & a map below.

Image Image
Click to enlarge map.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Don Nelsen

Re: A Little Beacon, an old Cabin & Hamilton Mt.- 04/28/2013

Post by Don Nelsen » April 29th, 2013, 6:23 pm

Guy and Chiyoko,

Nice job and great pics as usual! That old hemlock is interesting - amazing that some trees can hold on for so long. I was over on Table with Ardith sunday and wondered about why so many cars at Hamilton as we drove by on the way back forgetting about the free day.

Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » April 30th, 2013, 12:30 pm

Thanks, Guy - that is a neat little area around Little Beacon! Love that shot peeking out at "Big" Beacon Rock -- nice!

The upper bunk in that cabin looks a bit cramped... weird... possibly a secret hideout for Dr. Evil and Mini Me...? "Oh, beHAAVE!" :D

-Tom :)

Guy

Post by Guy » April 30th, 2013, 6:50 pm

Hey Don I didn't realize it until today but that tree has something else going on that makes it interesting, I posted it in the Believe it or not thread to see if anyone can see what it is!

Tom, yeah we wondered about that top bunk too :^)..
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Crusak

Post by Crusak » April 30th, 2013, 7:03 pm

Nice TR, Guy. It looks like you and Chiyoko got the most out of your free pass day. Even ice cream! :)
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » April 30th, 2013, 7:08 pm

Cool view down to the big Beacon from Little Beacon.

Regarding the top bunk, I've got an possible explanation that I've seen myself in a similar structure... Rodents. While spending two weeks in a cabin on the Chinchaga River in northern Alberta, the cabins had upper 'berths' near the ceiling with expanded metal to place things on. Most rodents cannot access shelves, and the expanded metal helps keep the rare smart ones at bay.
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

beag

Post by beag » April 30th, 2013, 7:44 pm

Guy,
I probably know who put the flagging up there. There is a route which used to be good but it may be a bit overgrown now. I used that route often to get from the Equestrian Trailhead to the Hamilton Trailhead. I saw my first wild bear in there. He took off like a rocket early one morning when I was in there. Not sure who was scared the most, me or the bear. The Cabin also has or had piped running water which was spring fed. There was also an outhouse uphill from the abode. Funny thing is that piece of property is still private.I don't know who owns it but it is surrounded by the Beacon Rock Park. A few years back Dick Thomas and I tried to get a trail from Hamilton Trailhead to first intersection on Hardy trail but the Ranger said they could not do it because of the private parcel.

Guy

Post by Guy » April 30th, 2013, 8:36 pm

Brian, yeah that would make sense re the top bunk!

Beag, thanks for the additional info, actually most of the route is still very easy going, we only got brushed in on the final bit before hitting the road junction on the equestrian side. There were a couple of falling trees & I lost the trail so if I hadn't lost it there might still be an easy way all the way through.

Crusak, yes we got our monies worth :) ..
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

J_W_Speed

Post by J_W_Speed » May 2nd, 2013, 8:47 pm

Funny, I ran into that old cabin thing years ago while hiking with a girlfriend of mine, beag-it still had a piped spring! It was really creepy as it looked as it was still being used.

Always Dreaming of the Trail
http://www.johnathanwhite.com