Nester Peak

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
drm

Nester Peak

Post by drm » April 24th, 2013, 6:50 am

Last year this trail was inaccessible because of the ice storm. When I tried to go about this time of year, you couldn't even get to the trailhead, and I know others reported similar later. So I just wanted to report that it is open now. One or two new logs are down on the trail, but they are not a big deal. Discover Pass is required up there, though I doubt the authorities are roaming with the frequency that they do at Hamilton Mtn.

bobcat

Re: Nester Peak

Post by bobcat » April 24th, 2013, 11:49 am

Thanks, Dean. Good to know the trail is clear. I'd recommend late May/early June for flower gazing up there.

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » April 24th, 2013, 12:31 pm

The view from the summit of Nestor is pretty great:
Nestor Peak.JPG
The rest of the hike...not so much. On the other hand, I saw a bear there once so that has to count for something!
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » February 22nd, 2020, 6:37 pm

Those trees have grown a bit! Easy access right now (2/21), too. :)

20200221_7895_sm.jpg

Got to wondering what the history may be between the two spelling variations -- anyone know more?

Found this recollection that offers a brief history of the lookout, while using both spellings, in the opening paragraph:
http://www.willhiteweb.com/washington_fire_lookouts/nestor_peak_lookout/pictures_238.htm wrote:In July, 1957, George Hendryx with a State cat started work on Nestor's Peak, opening logging roads and building a road to the top of the peak for a proposed lookout site. The following year in 1958, the Nester Peak Lookout was a 40 foot wooden tower with a DNR cab on top. In 1977, the tower was replaced by two-story lookout building with a concrete base. It was removed or destroyed in 1995.
Saw both the USFS and the county use the "NestER" variation, while the USGS and almost everyone else uses "NestOR".

20200221_7911_sm.jpg

Curious...
Karl
Back on the trail, again...