Nester Peak

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
drm

Nester Peak

Post by drm » April 24th, 2013, 6:50 am

Last year this trail was inaccessible because of the ice storm. When I tried to go about this time of year, you couldn't even get to the trailhead, and I know others reported similar later. So I just wanted to report that it is open now. One or two new logs are down on the trail, but they are not a big deal. Discover Pass is required up there, though I doubt the authorities are roaming with the frequency that they do at Hamilton Mtn.

bobcat

Re: Nester Peak

Post by bobcat » April 24th, 2013, 11:49 am

Thanks, Dean. Good to know the trail is clear. I'd recommend late May/early June for flower gazing up there.

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » April 24th, 2013, 12:31 pm

The view from the summit of Nestor is pretty great:
Nestor Peak.JPG
The rest of the hike...not so much. On the other hand, I saw a bear there once so that has to count for something!
Author of Off the Beaten Trail, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region and PDX Hiking 365. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » February 22nd, 2020, 6:37 pm

Those trees have grown a bit! Easy access right now (2/21), too. :)

20200221_7895_sm.jpg

Got to wondering what the history may be between the two spelling variations -- anyone know more?

Found this recollection that offers a brief history of the lookout, while using both spellings, in the opening paragraph:
http://www.willhiteweb.com/washington_fire_lookouts/nestor_peak_lookout/pictures_238.htm wrote:In July, 1957, George Hendryx with a State cat started work on Nestor's Peak, opening logging roads and building a road to the top of the peak for a proposed lookout site. The following year in 1958, the Nester Peak Lookout was a 40 foot wooden tower with a DNR cab on top. In 1977, the tower was replaced by two-story lookout building with a concrete base. It was removed or destroyed in 1995.
Saw both the USFS and the county use the "NestER" variation, while the USGS and almost everyone else uses "NestOR".

20200221_7911_sm.jpg

Curious...
Karl
Back on the trail, again...