Mt St Helens 21-Apr-2013

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

Mt St Helens 21-Apr-2013

Post by VanMarmot » April 22nd, 2013, 6:14 am

A friend of a friend was visiting and wanted to climb a NW peak, so we decided on a dayhike of Mt. St Helens via Swift Creek. The weather forecast had been fluctuating wildly in the days leading up to the climb but we ended-up leaving the TH under gray but dry skies.

But, by the time we'd reached treeline, the clouds seemed to be parting.

As we climbed, it just got better and better - sun, with a light wind (lower down at least), and not really very cold.

However, we could see, from the artful cloud trails streaming off the summit rim, that winds aloft were going pretty good.

As we climbed higher, it became apparent that the clouds weren't parting so much as we were getting above them. It's always pretty cool to look down on the clouds without benefit of a plane.

Hood was hidden by clouds, but Adams was visible, wearing an impressive lenticular.

We kept on to the rim,

and reached it at a point which was pretty wind-free. From there, we had an excellent view of the crater walls and Rainier (with an impressive snow plume trailing from its summit),

and of the Lava Dome, giving off wisps of steam.

After photos and a snack, we headed down.

The weather, which had been optimal on the way up, finally decided to take a turn for the worse when we got to 3000', at which point it started snowing and, further down, raining lightly. The trudge down Swift Creek was a slightly soggy one - but better to have happened on the way out than on the climb up. Excellent day (10 mi RT, 5500' EG).

fettster

Re: Mt St Helens 21-Apr-2013

Post by fettster » April 22nd, 2013, 6:49 am

Nice work!! Great to get some views when it started that way. Did you already have permits or did you pick them up the day of?

Peder

Post by Peder » April 22nd, 2013, 6:54 am

I am glad that you were lucky with the weather! There is not much purpose in summiting MSH without views.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

techboy

Post by techboy » April 22nd, 2013, 8:11 am

Peder wrote:I am glad that you were lucky with the weather! There is not much purpose in summiting MSH without views.
I agree, I think maybe half the climbs I've done on this mountain were view-less (7 or 8). Still, it is a good workout and prepares you for other climbs out here, so that's how I approach it.

techboy

Post by techboy » April 22nd, 2013, 8:15 am

VanMarmot wrote:A friend of a friend was visiting and wanted to climb a NW peak, so we decided on a dayhike of Mt. St Helens via Swift Creek. The weather forecast had been fluctuating wildly in the days leading up to the climb but we ended-up leaving the TH under gray but dry skies.
Thanks for the TR and great photos, nice to see what the conditions are like up there right now. What time did you start? Looks like there was a lot of light?

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » April 22nd, 2013, 4:48 pm

fettster wrote:Nice work!! Great to get some views when it started that way. Did you already have permits or did you pick them up the day of?
Got them that morning just as the store opened.

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » April 22nd, 2013, 4:50 pm

techboy wrote:
VanMarmot wrote:A friend of a friend was visiting and wanted to climb a NW peak, so we decided on a dayhike of Mt. St Helens via Swift Creek. The weather forecast had been fluctuating wildly in the days leading up to the climb but we ended-up leaving the TH under gray but dry skies.
Thanks for the TR and great photos, nice to see what the conditions are like up there right now. What time did you start? Looks like there was a lot of light?
Left the TH about 6:30am. We were under a cloud layer until we got out of the trees, then we climbed up above the clouds. Snow was firm in the morning but mush on the way back. I used snow shoes for the return - the other waded.

Crusak

Post by Crusak » April 22nd, 2013, 5:27 pm

Nice pictures VanMarmot! I didn't realize you were into mountaineering. ;)

I nearly asked about traction devices but then I went back and re-read the narrative. I've heard that the last two miles are the most difficult because the elevation gain is much greater - is that correct?
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » April 22nd, 2013, 7:16 pm

That is so nice, that it opened up for you on the way up! Excellent photos. I'd sure like to do that again, without the need for snowshoes the whole way up. Thanks for the report! :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » April 22nd, 2013, 7:41 pm

Thanks, Van - great photos! Truly fantastic clouds -- those twisting, wispy alpine clouds are second only to a lenticular on my list of favorites!

Tom :)