Trip Report: Panther Creek Falls and Falls Creek Falls

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Ums

Trip Report: Panther Creek Falls and Falls Creek Falls

Post by Ums » April 14th, 2013, 12:20 am

I went to check out Panther Creek falls today and continued out to Falls Creek for a short hike up to the falls.

I had read up a bit on Panther creek and it did not disappoint. There was no marked trail, and no path to the bottom of the falls but found the trail walking back from the gravel pit parking lot - its in between the parking lot and a forest road that goes uphill and there really is no sign other than an obscure wooden plank nailed to a tree. That said, there was a nice viewing platform (once you find the trail) and the falls were flowing nicely.

Falls Creek on the other hand was clearly marked and was a nice short hike up. Trail was in good condition but have to watch out for some slippery rocks here and there. My first time on this trail and it was beautiful as it runs along side the creek pretty much the whole way and there are couple of bridges with really nice views before you get to the falls.

It was cold today and snowing in both places - probably what kept people away as there was hardly anyone on the trails.

Here are some photos.

Panther creek trail head - marked for anyone else looking for it.

Panther creek sign.

The viewing platform

Falls

Road to Falls Creek Falls

Parking lot

Trail

First suspension bridge

View from the 2nd bridge - yes, its snowing.

The falls

Last edited by Ums on April 14th, 2013, 1:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

BrianEdwards

Re: Trip Report: Panther Creek Falls and Falls Creek Falls

Post by BrianEdwards » April 14th, 2013, 12:31 am

Nice! Panther Creek never gets old. It looks like they've done some improvements to the Falls Creek trailhead (usually means it'll become a fee sight..) The second photo of Falls Creek Falls is a slightly different take on it. Its good to see a different perspective on familiar places from time to time. Great day of waterfall hiking
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

AlexanderSupertramp

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » April 14th, 2013, 6:58 am

Very nice, Ums. There is a scramble path that leads to the base of Panther Creek Falls. It is a little dicey in some spots, however.

drm

Post by drm » April 14th, 2013, 7:43 am

The Forest Service repeatedly put up road signs indicating Panther Creek Falls, each one successively more sturdy than the last, and none lasted more than a month or two. They all got destroyed and the FS seems to have given up replacing it.

Ums

Post by Ums » April 14th, 2013, 3:22 pm

BrianEdwards wrote:Nice! Panther Creek never gets old. It looks like they've done some improvements to the Falls Creek trailhead (usually means it'll become a fee sight..) The second photo of Falls Creek Falls is a slightly different take on it. Its good to see a different perspective on familiar places from time to time. Great day of waterfall hiking
Thanks. Yep, the Falls Creek trail seemed was well maintained and the parking lot seemed to have been freshly graveled. They could do something more with the road that leads to it though - think winter chewed it up a bit.
AlexanderSupertramp wrote:There is a scramble path that leads to the base of Panther Creek Falls. It is a little dicey in some spots, however.
Yeah - you could see some sort of a path, but yes, it would literally be a "scramble" to get to it.

Rustygoat

Post by Rustygoat » April 14th, 2013, 5:15 pm

Nice pictures Ums! Both of those waterfalls are beautiful. A couple of years ago I scrambled down to the bottom of Panther Creek Falls and stumbled across a wasp nest. :o :shock: I started running as soon as I saw them but when I slowed down I had six on my shirt. I shooed them off and kept on running but still I got stung twice. :oops: It could have been worse. Anyway...here is a picture of my last trip to Falls Creek Falls. I cant wait to get there this year on two feet..it should be a lot easier. :lol: Thanks for your TR. :)
IMG_8122.JPG
Tim

Chasing waterfalls can be addictive.
NW Off-trail Waterfalls -Facebook Group

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » April 14th, 2013, 9:27 pm

Nice report and pictures. That's too bad about the sign being continuously destroyed.

fettster

Post by fettster » April 15th, 2013, 7:03 am

Yay, love Falls Creek Falls!

Alpenglow

Post by Alpenglow » April 15th, 2013, 1:37 pm

Wow, fun to see it with so much water and the extra bonus falls off to the left.
Here is what it looks like all summer.
Attachments
IMG_1287.JPG
Dream as if you'll live forever...Live as if today's your last

TJ_T

Post by TJ_T » April 15th, 2013, 4:01 pm

Nice! We were there the day before and also got snowed on. It created a nice scene for this shot of Lower Panther Creek Falls:

I take pictures sometimes. And sometimes I post them here:
http://www.tjthornephotography.com
and
http://500px.com/TjThorne
and
https://www.facebook.com/tjthornephotography