Rudolph Spur - Ruckel Ridge Loop 03-Apr-2013

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Eric Peterson

Re: Rudolph Spur - Ruckel Ridge Loop 03-Apr-2013

Post by Eric Peterson » April 5th, 2013, 8:56 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:Bruce, nice photos - I'll have to do your variation next time and hike up that bald. I've always just used the old trail and looks like I'm missing the best views. thanks,

Don
Don, so the old trail must have been the spur I took a few months ago not knowing to go up
to the bald spot on the ridge? It was flagged both ways. Gorge Mapset now shows both
routes and there are some other spur routes off the non bald way that seem to go towards
Ruckel Creek too . . .

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » April 8th, 2013, 8:49 pm

Eric Peterson wrote:
Don Nelsen wrote:Bruce, nice photos - I'll have to do your variation next time and hike up that bald. I've always just used the old trail and looks like I'm missing the best views. thanks,

Don
Don, so the old trail must have been the spur I took a few months ago not knowing to go up
to the bald spot on the ridge? It was flagged both ways. Gorge Mapset now shows both
routes and there are some other spur routes off the non bald way that seem to go towards
Ruckel Creek too . . .
Eric, not sure but let's get together and compare info. I have every hike I've done for the past 12 years logged on GPS and it's fun to look at the tracks merged together. Time to have a party at my place and look at what we have and share!

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » April 9th, 2013, 5:39 am

awildman wrote:Wonderful! How much longer until the flowers start on Ruckel? Another 3 weeks or so?
I'd say sooner than that. The grass widows were already out on upper Munra last weekend - about the same elevation as the meadows on Ruckel Ck. So maybe within the next 2 weeks.

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » April 9th, 2013, 5:42 am

Don Nelsen wrote:
Eric Peterson wrote:

Don
Ruckel Creek too . . .
Eric, not sure but let's get together and compare info. I have every hike I've done for the past 12 years logged on GPS and it's fun to look at the tracks merged together. Time to have a party at my place and look at what we have and share!

dn
Don - 12 years of tracks! When are you going to write your guide to the Gorge? I doubt there'd be a more authoritative guide to hiking in the Gorge if you did so.

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » April 9th, 2013, 6:16 am

Eric Peterson wrote:
Ruckel Creek too . . .
Oops, I misread VM's post when he said after the bald to stay on the ridge, Bos and I stayed
ridge as well a few weeks ago and there is a nice user path. The original RS goes climbers left
around the ridge and is even marked with painted dots.