Tillamook Head 3/9/13

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
IslandCougGirl

Tillamook Head 3/9/13

Post by IslandCougGirl » March 14th, 2013, 9:44 pm

So my friends and I did part of Tillamook Head last Saturday which turned out to be a gorgeous sunny day. I knew it was muddy but I was not prepared for the amount of mud plus there was tons of blowdown that made it tough. We started on the Seaside side and only made it about 3.5 miles in before we said screw it and headed back. On the hike back I didn't even try to avoid the mud so had it splattered almost up to my knees. That being said, it was a great day to hike and we so lucked out with sun. I have pics but it takes me forever to load them into photobucket so it will be a while before I post them. Next time I try this hike, I think I will start at the Ecola side.

-Q-

Re: Tillamook Head 3/9/13

Post by -Q- » March 14th, 2013, 10:40 pm

i hiked the same trail, on the same day as you (3/9), but started at ecola point. it was pretty much a mudfest from start to finish.
mud up the knees... sounds familiar ;)
great hike, great day

Crusak

Post by Crusak » March 15th, 2013, 5:31 am

It was muddy on my last hike there - in June 2011. I think it's probably a mudbowl most of the year, except for maybe late August when the rain isn't a daily occurrence. There are some great views of the ocean to be enjoyed though, and the Tillamook Lighthouse can be seen from the trail also.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

mcds

Post by mcds » March 19th, 2013, 1:17 pm

We added the 5mi roundtrip to the tip of Cape Lookout, just south of Tillamook. The trail was muddy for the last half mile or so, but the rest had quite a layer of recently laid large gravel. Seemingly 6-8 inches in places. Most of the mud had a very solid tread only 2-4 inches down, but other patches seemed bottomless. All the recent blowndowns had been cleared. Off the point, we saw 8-12 whales heading north over the course of an hour or so, including two flukes and one eye-hop. Diner at Alices on Hwy 6.