Family Hike - Wolf Creek Trestle, almost - 3-9-13

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Eric Peterson

Family Hike - Wolf Creek Trestle, almost - 3-9-13

Post by Eric Peterson » March 9th, 2013, 6:31 pm

Inspired by ST's recent Wolf Creek Trestle hike, we packed up the kids and dog and headed out there.

Drove from HWY 6 to the Timber Road junction to meet up with Cochran RD. at Timber rather
than doing the HWY 26 route as described in the FG. Had a bit of fun driving out the other way
using the extended route directions and the GPS to finally make it out back to 26 :lol:

Anyway, early start for a family affair, about 10:20 -

Meet a couple of sweet girls at Cochran Pond that gave us a nice little FYI about needing headlamps
for the Zombie cave/tunnel that was ahead. Assured them we had a few and then FYI'd me about
the first trestle where they turned around since it was too scary.

Old mill site across Cochran Pond -

A little over 8 miles and 450' of EG since we had to turn around before Wolf Creek Trestle.

The kids loved it and so did we! Dog took a nice swim in Cochran Pond just in time for the ride home too...

Crusak

Re: Family Hike - Wolf Creek Trestle, almost - 3-9-13

Post by Crusak » March 9th, 2013, 7:07 pm

Nice! Great way to spend a super sunny late winter day with the family. I'd trade the views on Saddle Mtn for a hike with my family any day. :)

Is that section of old tracks the one that is part of a proposed rails-to-trails conversion?
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » March 9th, 2013, 7:15 pm

Nice idea for a family hike Eric. Showing the kids all the historic stuff, and walking out onto the trestle! I bet their reactions were priceless, but each in their own way. Very inspiring. I like the photo of you and your son climbing around on the tank. Picture's worth a thousand words.
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » March 9th, 2013, 9:20 pm

What a great way to spend the day! That's probably one they'll always remember. For sure, you and the missus will. The rail thing just raises this hike to a completely different level for them, I'm sure. Nice! :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » March 10th, 2013, 6:39 am

Cool trip report. It is neat when your whole family can enjoy/experience one of your passions.

Question - Where did you take that photo of the water coming out of the concrete wall? That must have been some sort of culvert, but I don't remember seeing anything like that. Maybe I just wasn't looking in the right places.

Also, why weren't you able to make it to Wolf Creek? Just too far for the family? Looks like you had about a mile or so to go to the other big Trestle.

You couldn't have picked a better day for it.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » March 10th, 2013, 7:04 am

Hey Rob, the water spout thing was coming out of a cemented trestle and the waypoint
is 45.71031 n , 123.44648 w. It was a good thing we turned around when we did even
though we were only 300' or so from the next tunnel and then the Wolf Creek trestle
after that. Son had a fun time hiking back with lots of stops and poking around hence
that water spout picture, and we managed a tiny bit of OT around Cochran Pond and
a earth dam which helped too alleviate some of the non stop train track hiking that
was bothering him I think, heh.

Thanks for the comments guys :)

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » March 10th, 2013, 8:13 am

I love the shot of you taking a picture of someone else who is taking a picture of you :D

It took me a minute to figure out who ST was also. Glad you got out with the fam and dog, it was a great weather day for exploring the tracks I bet :)

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » March 10th, 2013, 10:00 am

Sean Thomas wrote:I love the shot of you taking a picture of someone else who is taking a picture of you :D

It took me a minute to figure out who ST was also. Glad you got out with the fam and dog, it was a great weather day for exploring the tracks I bet :)
:)

ST is some ultra hiker that can drop 60 miles and be back in time for dinner!

8-)

JulieB

Post by JulieB » March 10th, 2013, 11:21 am

Hey! 1st time posting; we had a great time hiking yesterday with the kids! We only had 300ft 'till the next trestle, but had to turn back because of a tired child. That's ok tho because we still had a great time! In fact, Annika wants to do it again sometime. Glad we brought the dog too! He got to take a swim in the lake. However, made for a stinky ride home. Awesome day overall! :D

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » March 10th, 2013, 2:56 pm

Welcome, Julie! What a great day y'all had...

Always fun when the dog takes a dive right at the end, eh? :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...