A Day at Catherine Ck 09-Mar-2013

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

A Day at Catherine Ck 09-Mar-2013

Post by VanMarmot » March 9th, 2013, 4:39 pm

The loved one and I headed out to Catherine Ck on this most bluebird of days to enjoy a moderate hike in the sunshine. I promised sunshine, views of Hood, frogs croaking, and an arch but somehow forgot to mention the whole tick thing. We got to the TH at 8am (late start) to find ourselves the only car there (this would change). We headed W and up toward Point Rowland, for that great view of Hood (loved one in orange, Hood in white).

I never tire of looking at this mountain.

Following along the cliff above Point Rowland took us to a trail that connected with Atwood Rd. We went a little W on the road for another view of Hood,

before turning E toward Catherine Ck.

We crossed the creek and climbed up Tracy Hill,

admiring the small flowers and equally small bugs along the way.

Shortly hereafter, the loved one discovered a tick in an inappropriate location (i.e., on her! :o :shock: ), a brief period of frenzied flicking ensued, the tick was dispatched to a better place :twisted: , and we moved on to the frog pond – where one frog was willing to croak for us.

So now sunshine, Hood, and frogs (or a frog) had come to pass,

and it was time to head on down,

and see the Arch.

Putting aside that whole tick debacle, it was a great day on the trail with the loved one in one of the Gorge’s most beautiful places. 7 mi, 1600’ EG.

drm

Re: A Day at Catherine Ck 09-Mar-2013

Post by drm » March 10th, 2013, 7:33 am

So 8am is a later start for you, huh?

I was in the Labyrinth area yesterday. Got to the trailhead at 10:15, a nice start on a sunny day, giving time for things to warm up a bit. Starting at the Old Hwy 8 trailhead, I've never seen so many cars. I've never seen HALF that many cars before. The general area is now in guidebooks and it shows. It also shows because with many trail junctions and zero trail signs, people are constantly asking for directions.

A few days ago a woman asked for directions and I asked here where she started. She said "at the bottom." I told her she could get back there from here.

The FS is building official trailhead facilities at Courtney Road this year. I wonder how long it will take to do so at the Lab TH.