3/2/13 Rooster Rock State Park Rehab Hike

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
mileagemike25000

3/2/13 Rooster Rock State Park Rehab Hike

Post by mileagemike25000 » March 4th, 2013, 6:57 pm

It's been about 1-1/2 weeks since the knee surgery and I'm quite thankful that crutches were never needed. Although there were some painful times in the first few days, it was easily handled by pain killers. I went to the Dr. on Friday to have the two stitches (yes, only 1 per hole in my knee) removed after the knee surgery. It was suggested that I take things slowly (keep to about 2 miles total) or the healing time would be extended if more inflammation occurred. :x

So this is my first real post surgery hike, and I was trying to keep it simple and easy, but didn't succeed. :shock: All the info I found about the Rooster Rock State Park hiking trails indicated it would be easy, and it really did go well except it was quite a bit longer, and with more elevation gain than I would have liked. After paying the $5 park fee, we drove to the east end of the parking lot where signage and a restroom resided.
1 Rooster Rock TH_(1).JPG
Yes, we knew there was a clothing optional beach where we were headed, but didn't expect anyone in the cool and cloudy weather. 8-) It turns out we only saw two hikers during the entire trip. :)
There were a couple of guys playing a round of frisbee golf.
12 Near the east side of the parking area is frisbee golf course!_(1).JPG
And as we walked down the trail we were surrounded by a somewhat desolate and sandy environment in these lowlands.
2 Following trail towards beach_(1).JPG
We made a left hand turn and continued on until a right hand turn was made. The trail was very wide and there were some flooded areas along the way to the beach.
3 Passed some flooded areas_(1).JPG
Finally, reaching the beach afforded us a beautiful view east into the Gorge. :)
4 Finally reached Columbia River shoreline_(1).JPG
And the view into the Columbia River Gorge was spectacular! :D
5 Fantastic views east into Gorge_(1).JPG
As we continued hiking east along the sometimes vague trail, we got great views of Sand Island! :D
6 Walking towards Sand Island_(1).JPG
7 Very peaceful and serene view of Columbia River & Sand Island_(1).JPG
Looking inland along this section of the trail yielded a desolate view of the grasses and leafless deciduous trees.
8 Looking inland at grasses & trees in lowlands_(1).JPG
We eventually reached the eastern end of the trail system and looked to the right (west) to see the hill that needed to be ascended. :o I really wasn't expecting this climb, but didn't want to turn around as we were already 2 miles out! :oops: We were going so slowly and I hadn't been looking at the GPS. :roll: So we very, very slowly ascended the grassy slope.
9 Turning west and heading up ridge_(1).JPG
As you can see from the photo below, this grassy area is visible from I84. I had always wanted to climb that slope, after seeing it, and finally did! :)
10 Looking back towards Gorge you see I84_(1).JPG
The trail along the ridge was like a wide rollercoaster, and we took it very slowly. It was actually a very nice area and some of the deciduous trees were quite gnarly and large. I84 was always a stones throw away and far below and off to our left. There are also two trails that parallel each other for a significant length of the ridge, which is a future hiking opportunity. :P
11 Ridge has plenty of deciduous trees!_(1).JPG
And we finally got back to the car, three hours later. :o So although the hike was 3.2 miles with just over 400ft of elevation gain, we really took our time and stopped often for breaks. Oh, and we have proof below that we can walk on water. :lol: It felt great to get back out on the trail, and the hike didn't seem to bother my knee.
Rooster Rock State Park Rehab Hike.PNG

romann

Re: 3/2/13 Rooster Rock State Park Rehab Hike

Post by romann » March 4th, 2013, 8:18 pm

That looks like a nice area to see; the only time I stopped at Rooster Park is when my car battery died at night, coming from the other hike. I never thought there's several miles of trails there.

Great to hear that your recovery going well :)

Crusak

Post by Crusak » March 4th, 2013, 10:06 pm

Post surgery first hike, check. Knocked off another trail you've never been to, check. Sounds like a good day! :)
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Roy

Post by Roy » March 4th, 2013, 10:48 pm

After three knee surgeries I really liked walking the Columbia river dike at Washougal on the WA side flat easy and lots of wildlife. pick your own distance.Last time I had micro fracture surgery that was a long of rehab compared to the couple weeks minicus repair the dike always my first go to. Its been a while it was close and no fees then any way.

Good luck Mike.

field guide info.
http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org ... _Dike_Hike
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Vander White

Post by Vander White » March 5th, 2013, 1:26 am

Hey there Mike. Glad to see you're able to accomplish a little light hiking as part of your recovery. Hope you, your wife, and the Dr. are happy with the results of your surgery thus far.

Take care.

- Vander White (Ex-forum member)
Last edited by Vander White on March 5th, 2013, 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » March 5th, 2013, 10:02 am

Great to see the recovery is going well. Happy trails ahead!
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

mileagemike25000

Post by mileagemike25000 » March 5th, 2013, 6:37 pm

romann - We've never been to Rooster Rock State Park before. I was surprised at how many trails there are to explore, but I won't go during the good weather when the beach is populated with nude sunbathers! :?

Thanks! The recovery seems to be going fairly well. I'm still need to be very cautious but am planning on going hiking (some reasonable distance) every weekend from here on out. :)

Thanks Jim! It was a great day, and I hope to continue to increase the mileage every weekend. And yes, we actually went on a new hike! :D

Roy - It sounds like you found a great hike for recovering from knee surgeries! :) I'm sure glad we're talking about your knee surgeries after the fact and that you're alright now. :) I really appreciate the recommendation for the Columbia River Dike Hike and think we're going to visit it in the next weekend or so! The field guide info put this at the top of my list for a rehab hike. :D

Vander White - Thanks for your support through this tough period with the knee and shoulder! So far, the Dr. thinks the swelling has gone down considerably and is all for the hiking as long as it isn't overdone. He thinks I'll be at about 60% recovery by this weekend, but I'll play it by ear. It's difficult to say how pleased I am with the results until I'm back to distances (or simultaneous days of hiking) that aggravated it before. Both my wife and I are quite amazed at the speed of recovery, and hope it continues.

Brian - Thanks for your support!

Rustygoat

Post by Rustygoat » March 6th, 2013, 4:34 pm

Nice to see that you didn't have to use crutches and that you were able to get out on a trail so soon. :D Remember to listen to your knee and your wife and you'll have a great recovery. Happy hiking. :)
Tim

Chasing waterfalls can be addictive.
NW Off-trail Waterfalls -Facebook Group

Roy

Post by Roy » March 6th, 2013, 6:39 pm

mileagemike25000 wrote:romann -

Vander White - Thanks for your support through this tough period with the knee and shoulder! So far, the Dr. thinks the swelling has gone down considerably and is all for the hiking as long as it isn't overdone. He thinks I'll be at about 60% recovery by this weekend, but I'll play it by ear. It's difficult to say how pleased I am with the results until I'm back to distances (or simultaneous days of hiking) that aggravated it before. Both my wife and I are quite amazed at the speed of recovery, and hope it continues.

Brian - Thanks for your support!
What the heck did you do to shoulder mike? I went thru 2 surgeries my mothers passing in a year and half plus I was the executer of the will. I really thought I would be numb and in pain for ever or what time I had left.I was going to be depressed for ever but this spring and that aflac duck which I paid into for 13 years really helped as stupid as the duck is that company is awesome. Still hurts but the downhill of the mind is worse than the uphill of the body.

I have some clue of what you are going thru its one step up two steps back. Not to tell you how to handle your rehab but after three knee surgeries spanning 20 years., I found the salmon creek green way, then the dike,wind mt or Mt Mitchell no deal now tho,then Hamilton or Saddle then the Dog Mt loop and I was pretty fit that worked for me anyway sometimes took almost a year the miniscus goes pretty quick.You sound like a never say never guy and my wife along with me made BIG difference.

And Roman was one the most positive people I had conversations with I don't think people realize how much it cheers you up.Sure family and friends say that stuff but a semi stranger meant more to me.

Good luck Mike
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

mileagemike25000

Post by mileagemike25000 » March 6th, 2013, 8:38 pm

Rustygoat - Thanks for the support and great advice! My wife has been wonderful during the recovery and been very supportive. :) Even though the knee is heeling nicely, I'm still quite anxious to pick up the pace and distance, but know that this will only prolong the recovery. :(

Roy - I feel for you! It sounds like you had to endure some really tough times with multiple issues, and had more stress than anyone should have to go through. :( I'm glad you were able to weather these bad times and came out on top again. :D It sure helps to have good insurance to keep from hemorrhaging money! I'm also very pleased with my insurance, and may not have gone through with the surgery so soon if it wasn't covered.

The shoulder issue started about a month or so after I tore the meniscus. It turns out I have bursitis, arthritis and slight tearing of the supraspinatus muscle in my left shoulder. Unfortunately, physical therapy helped but hasn't completely alleviated the problem, and the surgeon said it doesn't require surgery. Since then, my right shoulder has similar pain, but not quite to the same extent. I stretch and do strengthening exercises every day in hopes of preventing the shoulders from getting worse. I now know that the heavy pack I have always carried was beating up the shoulder muscles. I'm now carrying a lighter pack and have figured out a very novel way of carrying my heavy camera without putting any weight on the shoulders. We'll see how it pans out over the long haul, but it seems to work very, very well (It just looks ridiculous :lol: ). I'll be sharing this idea in another PH thread, in the future, as it might help many people carry their cameras without feeling it on the shoulders (however, it does put the load on the waist - the weight has to go somewhere).

You're right about the one step forward and two steps back! Your 20 years of experience sure makes you an expert, with a lot of experience, on the ways to heal over extended recovery periods. :) I think your idea of progressing from easy (Salmon Creek Greenway) to more difficult ((Dog Mt. loop) hikes is the right way to go. Hopefully, I'll be able to build up a bit more quickly, assuming nothing else breaks down? :?

I'm glad to hear that Roman was so supportive to your recovery ( I think my wife and I met him (and his dog) a few years back at the parking lot to the Mazama trail on Mt. Hood?). I don't have any family I keep in touch with, so my immediate family and PH'ers have been my only support network, and you all have been very helpful during this difficult time and recovery! :D