Buck Point Trail 2/7 (trailwork)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
mcds

Buck Point Trail 2/7 (trailwork)

Post by mcds » February 8th, 2013, 7:57 pm

1Image

2Image

Bosterson was kind enough to create a thread reporting a large tree down in the Gorge on the Buck Point Trail just a bit East of Eagle Creek. I tracked it down, and brushed it out over the course of three hours on the afternoon of 2/7. One can now crawl to get under the low spot, and stoop to get under the high spot. At the low spot the diameter is about 44 inches. I believe it is in chainsaw territory. If anyone wants to clear it in the next month or so, let me know, other wise I'll keep it on my todo list. (out of time to write any more).

A) broke off its trunk at a height of about 15', then fell uphill knocking B down. B hit the ground first
B,C) sister trees. B fell perpendicular to A.
A') the crown end of A. When A landed on B, it snapped completely in half.
x1) hole in the ground from B's rootball
x2) flute in C due to B
D) adjacent tree, possible engaged with A

3Image

4Image

5Image

6Image

7Image

8Image

9Image

10Image

11Image

a couple more post-brushing pics:

12Image

13Image

On the way I cleared this one ....

14Image

.... and half cleared this one:

15Image

Peder

Re: Buck Point Trail 2/7 (trailwork)

Post by Peder » February 8th, 2013, 9:10 pm

mcds - Your reports are a lot more fun than reading Sherlock Holmes (though similar) and your actions are lot more beneficial to all of us! Thank you.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » February 8th, 2013, 11:35 pm

That's a biggin'. Hand sawing through that would take forever! And I bet doing so would cause the log to become unstable. Not for the faint of heart
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

gorgerat.1

Post by gorgerat.1 » February 9th, 2013, 9:12 am

This seems very dangerous to me. Do you have training from the forest service or you don,t have to have it? Do you cut these logs by yourself? Doesn,t seem very safe to me. I just think it seems were taking work from someone when we do this.I like doing this , but have been told the senic area has it,s own trail crew for this work. Do they? If so , how come nobody says anything about it. I would hate to get a ticket for working. But from what i see it,s o.k. ,, If there is a problem with doing these log outs ,, please let me know. Hope i,m not stepping on anyones toes, Other wise see you out there.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » February 9th, 2013, 10:04 am

gorgerat.1 wrote:This seems very dangerous to me. Do you have training from the forest service or you don,t have to have it? Do you cut these logs by yourself? Doesn,t seem very safe to me. I just think it seems were taking work from someone when we do this.I like doing this , but have been told the senic area has it,s own trail crew for this work. Do they? If so , how come nobody says anything about it. I would hate to get a ticket for working. But from what i see it,s o.k. ,, If there is a problem with doing these log outs ,, please let me know. Hope i,m not stepping on anyones toes, Other wise see you out there.
This website is a service of Trailkeepers of Oregon and many people here are members. If you are interested in trail maintenance, check out their website. http://www.trailkeepersoforegon.org/
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » February 10th, 2013, 6:57 am

Great work - makes the start of Ruckel Ridge a little more pleasant and easier since it only gets harder the further up you go.
As to trail work in the Gorge by the USFS - I hike the Gorge all the time and have yet to see anyone from the USFS doing work there in the past couple of years. All the blow-downs last January -and there were a ton - all that work on Multnomah Creek, On Wakeena and on the trail above Oneanta -- all of this was done 100% by non-profit groups (way to go PCTA) - so, what exactly are the tax dollars being spent on if they can't afford some trail crews on a full-time basis - heck, they can't even figure out how to move the wilderness boundaries down to where they go (now almost three years after passage of the bill) and can't figure out how to get descent and reliable signage up in the Gorge - AND don't tell me it is all budget issues - be reasonable - how much does a trail sign cost.
So if the Forest Service wants to step up and do the job they are supposed to be doing in the Gorge then great, in the meantime, the public has to do their job and continue to pay taxes.

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » February 10th, 2013, 1:30 pm

And . . . every time I go to Herman Creek to park at the TH and hike up the trail, I've noticed all
those USFS trucks just sitting there. Kind of wondering what it is exactly those folks are
doing down there at the 'work' center besides waiting for spring to open up that camp ground :?:

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » February 10th, 2013, 4:27 pm

Once again, thanks for all your hard work mcds.

Every time I don't climb over or walk around down trees I am thankful. Most hiker probably never give it a second thought.

Brad
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports