Someone tried to steal my car at Shellrock Mtn today:( 1/26

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Splintercat

Re: Someone tried to steal my car at Shellrock Mtn today:(

Post by Splintercat » January 27th, 2013, 7:18 pm

Sean, sorry to hear about that. Ugh. Seems to becoming expected (and accepted) in the Gorge, and that's good for criminals and bad for us. :x

Be sure to report that to the Hood River County sheriff. It's worth the effort. Good luck, Sean!

Tom

Crusak

Post by Crusak » January 27th, 2013, 7:34 pm

nwtrailape wrote:I wish I was there, a few careful shots from my .38 Special would of taught them a thing or two.

Will
I understand where you're coming from there. Thoughts of vengeance! But using a firearm to prevent a property crime might get you in trouble, depending on the circumstances (at least in Oregon - not sure about in Washington). During a burglary ("occupied dwelling") you could certainly use a firearm. Gets a little fuzzy if you decide to just 'point the gun at the suspects' who are breaking into cars,and you might get in some trouble still. But maybe it would scare them away? Actually, Will, if you just showed up they'd be highly inclined to get out of there quickly. ;)

However, if I suddenly descended on a trailhead and surprised some people in the act of breaking into cars, my first impulse would definitely be to look after my own safety, which might involve presenting a firearm (for my own protection, and to let them know that I'm not an easy mark). But it would be best to get a good description of the purps and their vehicle(s) and come away unscathed.

Now, shooting their tires out to prevent them from getting away! That's totally okay in my book. :lol: nah, not really. just kidding. but they deserve it.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Dustin DuBois

Post by Dustin DuBois » January 27th, 2013, 8:47 pm

Man that sucks! Sorry to hear Sean.

I think we need to chip in and get one of these for him!

The "Clouter Cooker"
Hi!

er0ck

Post by er0ck » January 27th, 2013, 9:14 pm

my car's been broken into once (summer 2011) IN the Ainsworth Campground. smash and grab. doors were still locked. got nothing of value

my car's been broken into twice outside my house in north portland. smash and grab. doors were still locked. got nothing of value.

on thursday night my GF's truck was stolen right outside our house. it was recovered right down the road when the moron freaked and ran when a cop happened to drive by on an unrelated call.

i'm sorry this happens to people. sometimes people just want or feel they need what isn't theirs. it happens all over. :cry:
bad knees rules everything around me.

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » January 27th, 2013, 11:35 pm

OK. I'd get them with my BB gun then....well, it's the thought that counts....maybe do a Mayhem sasquatch call. Hopefully your insurance covered it.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 28th, 2013, 7:25 am

I parked next to Powells downtown maybe 20 years ago

Someone broke in and stole a carton of cigarettes

Stupid to have that visible

One more reason to quit :)

bobcat

Post by bobcat » January 28th, 2013, 7:38 am

My condolences to add to the rest, but you have a good attitude. We all play the odds parking at some of these trailheads. One more to add to the "avoid" list: the Wildwood crossing on Germantown Road (had it done twice to me there and I haven't been back!).

The tow truck guy's anecdotes are most instructive: that they are going after the cars themselves sometimes and not what's in them. One hiking companion of mine used to leave his car unlocked, glove compartment open (and empty), and a sign on the dashboard saying "There is nothing to steal here!" Your story says that probably isn't the most clairvoyant tactic.

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » January 28th, 2013, 9:20 am

That's a bummer about Red Ronda the Honda, Sean. I keep wondering when my turn will come. I do everything I can to minimize my chances by leaving nothing in my vehicle. I liked the idea of disabling a vehicle too.

Another thought is, if we see anyone at a TH that looks suspicious, take a picture of them and their vehicle without them knowing. Then post it here. Maybe even create a thread for suspicious TH people and vehicles.

Regarding shooting the perpetrators, while I wouldn't testify against anyone for doing so, I wouldn't recommend it unless defending yourself.

Keep on hiking,
Brad
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

cascadehiker

Post by cascadehiker » January 28th, 2013, 11:14 am

Sean Thomas wrote:The truth is they could take my car, my cloths and all of my possessions but they cant take away my love for the trail. If I have to hike TO the trail just to hike on the trail i will take that over no trail anyday:)
quote of the year at the next Meet & Deet?? ;)
"Man who catch fly with chopstick accomplish anything" - Mr Miyagi

Koda

Post by Koda » January 28th, 2013, 4:35 pm

Crusak wrote:Gets a little fuzzy if you decide to just 'point the gun at the suspects' who are breaking into cars,and you might get in some trouble still.
Actually you will probably get arrested. Unless you are in jeopardy of life or limb you cannot use deadly force to detain someone or protect property outside of your home.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2