1/20/13 Jones Creek Loop C Attempt - Partial Bale Out!

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
mileagemike25000

1/20/13 Jones Creek Loop C Attempt - Partial Bale Out!

Post by mileagemike25000 » January 25th, 2013, 9:24 pm

What a fine day for a hike with blue skies and a nice temperature inversion. :lol: We decided to try completing the C-Loop portion of the Jones Creek Trail. It was interesting trying to find the trail cut-in point and we had to take out the Garmin 60Csx to see where the trail intersected the L-1500 Rd. :?

So we reached the intersection of the road with the Loop C trail and felt like we were parking on a portion of the road. Next to the car was a deer carcass that my wife really didn't appreciate as it still had some blood remnants on it. :shock:
14 Deer Skeleton next to parking area_DxO_(1).jpg
And we decided to start in a counter-clockwise direction at this poorly marked, but obvious, TH.
1 Not Obvious TH_DxO_(1).jpg
We were glad to see that the trail was clear of snow (and frozen) but didn't know what to expect. We learned very quickly that there was plenty of snow to be found in the shade and northern exposure!
2 Trail is snow covered and frozen!_DxO_(1).jpg
As the trail wound around we came to a nice secluded area with a bridge over a small stream. :)
3 Nice bridge over stream_DxO_(1).jpg
Continuing on the eastern leg of this loop we broke out into a clearcut area that was mostly in the shade. The snow was covered with a thin layer of ice that easily collapsed under our weight. It didn't take long for the snow depth to reach about 1ft+, and it was very very slow going without snow shoes! :x
4 Breaking out into clearcut_DxO_(1).jpg
The view, looking east/NE was very impressive with the snow capped Mts.. I believe that the left-most peak is Bluff Mt., but I can't be sure?
5 I think Bluff Mt. is on the far left_DxO_(1).jpg
And as we continued the deep, ice-covered snow was draining our energy. :(
6 Deep ice covered snow is brutal with no snowshoes!_DxO_(1).jpg
Despite this huge effort, we enjoyed the warm air and stopped often to admire the fantastic view! :D
7 It's really warm up here_DxO_(1).jpg
We were also rewarded with a fine view of Mt. Hood in the distance!
8 Nice view of Mt. Hood_DxO_(1).jpg
After 1-1.5 miles of this we decided to bale out on the road that paralleled the trail. We also heard a vehicle spinning its wheels just above us on the road. Then we saw the driver and his son(?) looking for a place to secure their winch cable on one of the stumps. The road was like an ice rink and the snow had been compressed and polished into an ice skating rink. We put on our kahtoola's and moved down the road quickly.
9 Baled out onto road!_DxO_(1).jpg
And we found the location where the jeep had gotten stuck in high snow!
10 4-Wheelers almost got stuck on road_DxO_(1).jpg
I have to say that once we got on the road the quality of our hike deteriorated significantly, for this leg of the hike. There were so many vehicles and people that it felt more like a crowded forest road. In addition, the amount of gunfire was frequent and from all directions. We had heard the gunfire before, but now we saw many of them actually shooting their rifles:x The driver from the vehicle that had been stuck in the snow was now shooting his pellet rifle into the direction of some target in the clearcut below. This was the direction of the trail we had just hiked on. :evil: We saw several instances of reckless target shooting that disturbed us greatly, and we feared getting shot despite having bright orange material making us stand out!

We wound down around the road and soon found the section of the trail that would allow us to complete the loop. :)
11 Founded trail again!_DxO_(1).jpg
And this northern portion of the trail also contained replanted clearcut that had a view towards Larch Mt.. Silver Star was hidden as we were at too low an altitude to see beyond the hills in front of us.
12 View from norther side of trail towards Larch Mt. & Silver Star_DxO_(1).jpg
Continuing on we completed the west side of the loop and turned east to head back toward the TH. There was a large clearcut (not replanted) but the trail was easy to follow, and still marked.
13 C-Loop Marker_DxO_(1).jpg
Since this portion of the trail was facing south, it was relatively snow free, and the trail got a bit muddy. We soon completed the loop and vowed not to come back here without snowshoes (which we won't purchase until next year).

The hike was 6.4 miles with an elevation gain of about 1650ft.
Jones Creek Loop C.JPG

Crusak

Re: 1/20/13 Jones Creek Loop C Attempt - Partial Bale Out!

Post by Crusak » January 26th, 2013, 11:26 am

Reckless target shooters really get me riled up. When my buddies and I go out plinking we always make sure that our target area is secure and safe, with plenty of 'backstop area' to prevent accidents. Shooting over/across roads, trails, or in the direction of roads or trails is just stupid.

So, is it time to get snowshoes? :D Sounds like a lot of work, busting through the icy crust into deep snow with every step. Been there, done that, and cursed myself for not taking the snowshoes. :lol:

What a super fantastic day to be out hiking! You got blue skies and some great views, along with a couple of adrenaline rush moments (between the deer skeleton and the target shooters).
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

mileagemike25000

Post by mileagemike25000 » January 26th, 2013, 8:47 pm

Jim - It's nice to hear about and see the responsible shooters, and for the most part this is the case. This hike just seemed to be the exception, and it both scared and angered us to see them shooting into the forest and down the slope, not knowing what was behind the target!

Yeah, we've finally decided to break down and get snowshoes, but not until next year. It was almost comical the way we were walking in the ice crusted snow, if not for the energy spent taking each step. You obviously know what we're talking about. ;)

The day was quite beautiful! :) Plenty of adrenaline rushes for sure!

Crusak

Post by Crusak » January 26th, 2013, 10:10 pm

mileagemike25000 wrote:Jim - It's nice to hear about and see the responsible shooters, and for the most part this is the case. This hike just seemed to be the exception, and it both scared and angered us to see them shooting into the forest and down the slope, not knowing what was behind the target!
I had a similar experience while hiking the Wilson River Trail between the Diamond Mill Bridge and the Tillamook Forest Center. I was up on a ridge, on the trail, and they were shooting in my general direction (but near a road, down below my location). I blew my whistle a few times, to alert them to the presence of humans up above. Didn't stop them. So I quickly got out of harm's way.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando