1/5/13 Silver Falls Perimeter Trail - Now Completely Open!

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Vander White

Re: 1/5/13 Silver Falls Perimeter Trail - Now Completely Ope

Post by Vander White » January 9th, 2013, 12:43 am

Another great TR, Mike. Nice pics, too. How/Where do you & your wife find the time to hike so often? :)
How did your knees cope this time around?
Hope your next Dr. visit goes well.

mileagemike25000

Post by mileagemike25000 » January 9th, 2013, 6:21 pm

My pleasure Carl! If by "up there" you mean the north end of the park, I'm not sure it would impact the high traffic around the waterfalls. It seems to me that the waterfall area keeps the entire south backcountry area somewhat pristine. :) If you read some of the signs leading to the backcountry, they indicate there are not waterfalls there, which probably limits the hiking traffic significantly!
_06C6778_(2).JPG

Vander White - Thanks, and I'm glad you like the photos! :) We only find the time to go hiking so often by somewhat neglecting most other things in our life. :lol: But seriously, we put hiking at a very high priority as we absolutely love to hike. We do tend to spend a minimal amount of time on housekeeping and don't go shopping often. We're also empty nester's and our kids aren't demanding of our time on days off.

Thanks for asking about the progress on my knee healing. :) The torn meniscus in my right knee is apparently healing? :shock: I still get some minimal pain in the meniscus area when it's twisted, or after several hiking days in a row, but nothing significant. At this point, I'd have to say that I get general pain in both knees, like a swelling feeling under the knee cap, but it goes away after a couple days of rest. I'm actually in shock that it has gotten this much better as I haven't slowed down significantly. And as you know, I'll be seeing another surgeon, for a second opinion, in two days. We'll see what he has to say and then decide how to address any longer term care? Thanks for the well wishes!

CampinCarl

Post by CampinCarl » January 10th, 2013, 7:35 am

mileagemike25000 wrote:My pleasure Carl! If by "up there" you mean the north end of the park, I'm not sure it would impact the high traffic around the waterfalls. It seems to me that the waterfall area keeps the entire south backcountry area somewhat pristine. :) If you read some of the signs leading to the backcountry, they indicate there are not waterfalls there, which probably limits the hiking traffic significantly!
Thanks for the response Mike, what I meant to say is that I've been up on the perimeter trail and a few others in the south end and noticed that there is a lot less traffic... that and the fact that the park is at a relatively low elevation just makes me wishing for a backpacker site in the east or south end of the park (edit: See pg 73 here: Silver Falls Master Plan Part 1 and page labeled 107 here (map of potential sites) . I believe that State Parks operates differently than say, the Forest Service, in that you can't just go 200 ft off trail and camp anywhere. I suppose if I wanted to be really ambitious I could hike out the south end to Shellburg Falls campground in the offseason :D !