Clackamas River Trail #715 12/22

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
BrianEdwards

Clackamas River Trail #715 12/22

Post by BrianEdwards » December 22nd, 2012, 6:06 pm

Inspired by Peder's report, I headed out with my son to the Clackamas River trail today, starting from Fish Creek though. Great day out, barely sprinkled and even had sun breaks. The goal was to check out the seasonal falls on the Fish Creek end of the trail.

On our way to the trailhead, we stopped at a falls that is along the highway a little bit before you get to Carter Bridge. I first seen these falls when I was 12 years old. My family rode their bikes from Estacada to Indian Henry and back. Theres a small paved pullover where you can park and head up to the falls.

Somewhere on the internet I found a photo of this falls, and the person dubbed it 'Angel Falls.' Its about 65' tall. Theres a tier above that's atleast 20', but you can just glimpse it from way down on the highway.

Video, 720p option

Arriving at the trailhead, we drove up Fish Creek Road a little ways past it to see the two seasonal falls across the raging Fish Creek. Here's one of 'em

It was after 1 when we headed out. The very first part of the trail has a neat mossy forest.

Shortly after the old roadbed turns to trail, the burn starts. You walk through a burn almost all the way to the Roaring River.

The river was a nice color today

One of the first stream crossings has a big downed log laying on the trail and part of the stream. It makes it a little bit difficult to get around.

A little ways further we made it to the first seasonal falls. My son got excited and ran down to it.

Further..

As we neared the Roaring River, we came to the flat area that has two falls falling into it. Here's the first one. It has a second tier above that's roughly the same height. It appears from the trail to fall from the treetops

Just ahead is a nicer falls thats up the hill a ways. You can see some of it from the trail.

I headed up the hill to get a better angle

Looking back down towards the trail as I descended back to it

After this it was almost 3pm, so we headed back.

Nice camp site

On the way back, I spied some white up on the hill across the river. It was down below the snow line... Waterfall? Some on site investigation may be needed.

Thanks for looking
Last edited by BrianEdwards on December 23rd, 2012, 12:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

shawjr

Re: Clackamas River Trail #715 12/22

Post by shawjr » December 22nd, 2012, 8:40 pm

Nice trip Brian. Funny we almost crossed paths, I had a late start as well.

RexSe7en

Post by RexSe7en » December 22nd, 2012, 9:30 pm

I was also out there this afternoon and got a late start myself. I ran into two groups on the trail but I must have missed you guys somehow. I suppose it was one of my many side trips into the thicket to explore something that caught my eye.

I left the Fish Creek Trailhead just before 1pm and decided to turn around at the Narrow's at 3:30. I got back to the car right at 5pm. Another great day on the trail!

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » December 22nd, 2012, 11:18 pm

Love that section across from RR, too, Brian - some really nice old growth tucked in there. I did a report years ago in the early days of PH.org and logged these as "First Creek, Second Creek... etc." only to discover in an epic DOH! that there were ALREADY a bunch of creeks named in this sequence, just around the corner..! :lol: Though the topos show this set as seasonal (or not at all, actually), I've seen several flowing in the driest seasons, so I think they probably are perennial.

BTW, just beyond where you turned back there's a distinctive stream crossing with rather nice stepping stones:

...and if you look upstream from the bend as you first approach this stream, there's a sizable falls up there -- something in the 60-80' range, I think:

I've followed the obvious deer trails that take off from the bend just west of the stream but you quickly have to dive into really dense rainforest jungle/jumble, so really a job for SUPER BRIAN..!

Nice work on your Clackamas waterfall inventory, too -- really needed to be done, so thanks for doing that!

Tom :)

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » December 22nd, 2012, 11:24 pm

RexSe7en wrote:I left the Fish Creek Trailhead just before 1pm and decided to turn around at the Narrow's at 3:30. I got back to the car right at 5pm. Another great day on the trail!
I think we were on your tail, as we departed the trailhead just a shade past one. We passed two groups as well.

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » December 22nd, 2012, 11:31 pm

Thanks Tom. Hiking today was a spur the moment / opportunist thing, and I had my new-to-hiking son in tow. So nothing crazy today.

In a thread of mine from a couple years ago, you made up a great documentary of the waterfalls in this section. It's in This Thread. Stay tuned :) The 5th creek needs some on site investigation

Glad you seen the website. I needed somewhere to focus on, and the Clackamas is only 25 minutes away, Bammm

RexSe7en

Post by RexSe7en » December 23rd, 2012, 12:11 am

Bummer I missed you on the trail today!

Keep me posted when you plan to head out there again if you don't mind me tagging along. I'm nearby in Milwaukie.

Peder

Post by Peder » December 23rd, 2012, 8:38 am

Great TR Brian - amazing how much there is to explore around there. With my Mother, we turned back at "your" Cat Creek, so now I know where that is!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » December 23rd, 2012, 10:33 am

Very nice TR Brian!!! Besides this being my favorite trail, I've short of "adopted" it last year. I haven't been up there in a couple of months due to the holidays (Fred Meyer's peak months), so what's the trail condition? This last summer, I concentrated on brushouts 1 to 2 miles from both sides, Fish Creek and Indian Henry. The regular FS brushout crew was suppose to clear the trail under the powerlines near Ape Rock, but I haven't been able to verify. I've also been waiting for Fish Creek's water level to rise to see if it takes some of the grafitti off of the river boulders at the group campsites just up from the TH. Thanks again.

Will

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » December 23rd, 2012, 2:04 pm

Thanks Will. Honestly the trail was in pretty good condition. I'm not much of a trail hiker, so... Ya there were a few little 3" dismeter trees laying over the tread, but easy to step over or not even notice.

The only issue I seem was the large tree laying on the trail at the first big creek crossing. The terrain is steep enough that you have to climb up around that log to keep going. Think with some good leverage points a couple guys could roll it off the edge down into the abyss out of the way

This is the one I'm talking about