11/25/12 Silver Falls State Park Non-Typical Loop Hike

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
mileagemike25000

11/25/12 Silver Falls State Park Non-Typical Loop Hike

Post by mileagemike25000 » November 27th, 2012, 8:17 pm

As everyone knows, Sunday was a gorgeous, cool (high 30's) and sunny day. :D We were looking for a nice simple hike that we knew would be enjoyable. We decided on Silver Falls State Park. I should have known there would be a big crowd on such a beautiful day, but we decided to bite the bullet anyway. :? When we arrived at the South Falls parking lot there must have been at least 30+ cars/trucks. Instead of going on the typical falls hike (and confronting the crowds), we took off on an unusual loop we hadn't done before. I'm not sure I can describe all the trails and turns we made, so hopefully the pictures will make up for it?

We started off hiking on the bike trail, from the South Falls parking lot.
1 Start of hike on bike trail_(1).JPG
Almost immediately we noticed the blue rings around many of the trees. :x Was this another Molalla Recreation area like logging effort? :shock: We did read some tags contained on a few trees that made this sound like a thinning project. We were grateful that NONE of the larger trees had the blue rings around them. We also noted that the logging appeared to be confined to the South Falls area, and wasn't, currently, within the backcountry! :)
2 South Falls area trees being thinned!_(1).JPG
We continued on the bike trail until we reached Hwy 214. We then crossed the road and continued counterclockwise around another bike loop. A short distance around the loop we intersected a trail that led to the horse ranches. The ranch is located in a large open meadow, and the area is quite picturesque.
3 Hiking toward old ranch_(1).JPG
We soon reached the ranch, and scouted the area for a bit.
4 Old Ranch Site_(1).JPG
5 Old Ranch_(1).JPG
After visiting the Old Ranch, we walked down the road until we could merge back with the trail. We crossed the road and soon intersected the bridge over the South Fork of Silver Creek.
6 Crossing South Fork Silver Creek_(1).JPG
And I stopped to take a few pictures of the creek. I used the guard rail as the tripod for the time exposure.
7 South Fork Silver Creek Time Exposure.jpg
We then continued on the trail until reaching the Buck Mountain loop trail. We only went down this trail for a short distance until we turned around due to it getting late. While walking through the forest I noticed the beautiful display of G-d rays! :o
8 Plenty of G-d Rays #1_(1).JPG
9 Plenty of G-d Rays #2_(1).JPG
We ended up completing the loop by taking a portion of the Howard Creek Loop Trail back through the Howard Creek Horse Camp. From the horse camp we turned onto the #214 trail and continued onto the Campground Trail. Continuing past the Camprground we completed the loop along another bike trail toward the South Falls. I know, what a convoluted hike. :lol: We actually didn't know how we would get back to our car. I just started following the trails around and stopped to look at maps along the many trail intersections.

When we got close to the South Fork of Silver Creek we stopped to look at the huge flow! The last time we were here the creek looked more like a wide stream.
10 High water in North Fork Silver Creek_(1).JPG
11 North Fork Silver Creek just before reaching South Falls!_(1).JPG
And we spent a small amount of time near the South Falls, and admired the torrent of water flowing over the cliff! :o
12 Water going over South Falls_(1).JPG
13 South Falls in the mist!_(1).JPG
The hike was 8.2 miles with an elevation gain of just over 700ft.
Silver Falls State Park Loop Hike.JPG

BrianEdwards

Re: 11/25/12 Silver Falls State Park Non-Typical Loop Hike

Post by BrianEdwards » November 27th, 2012, 9:31 pm

Holy crap Mike, every time I log on you've gone on another hike :shock: And they're always something unique and off the beaten path. Your car must be rackin' up the miles too!

Sweet shots of the g-d rays! They ain't the easiest thing to get a picture of.
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

Peabody

Post by Peabody » November 28th, 2012, 6:50 am

BrianEdwards wrote:Your car must be rackin' up the miles too!
What are you talking about Brian? Mike doesn't drive to the trailhead he hikes to them.

I've also been enjoying all the TR's. Thanks MM
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White

CampinCarl

Post by CampinCarl » November 28th, 2012, 7:10 am

Awesome Mike! I spent the summer of 2006 in the Ranches meadow working on a vegetation study. Here is a kind of funny pic of Meadow Research Ranger Carl in action :D
Ranger_Researcher_Carl.jpg
Notice the branch impaling me :shock: That's because I was by myself and using the only well-situated log in the vicinity as a tripod.

You sure are creative in connecting some of the trails, I have to hand it to you. Thanks for your report!

weathercrazy

Post by weathercrazy » November 28th, 2012, 6:54 pm

I love the photo with the sun rays! Gorgeous!

mileagemike25000

Post by mileagemike25000 » November 28th, 2012, 7:51 pm

Brian - We do tend to get out quite a bit, and try to make it interesting by finding new and unusual hikes! :) I'm happy to be able to share them on the PH'ers site. :D And yes, the car is accumulating miles at an alarming rate as we drive about 18k-22k miles per year. :cry: I guess this is the price we pay to find out of the way hiking opportunities?

Thanks for the compliment on the photo's! The G-d rays pictures are special to my wife and I as our son has always been drawn to them. :)

Peabody -
What are you talking about Brian? Mike doesn't drive to the trailhead he hikes to them.
I like that! :lol:

I'm glad you enjoy the TR's, and greatly appreciate your feedback. :)

Carl - Thanks!

Your summer internship at the Ranches sounds like a lot of fun. :) I hope you have that great picture framed? I do like the stick that looks like it's in your shirt pocket! It adds character to the picture. :)

The connections made for this hike were just luck, as we made it up as we went along. :?

Tyler - Thanks! I'm always pleased if I get at least one good picture during a hike. This time I feel pretty good about the G-d rays pictures. :)