Black Hole Falls, North Siouxon Creek

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bobcat

Black Hole Falls, North Siouxon Creek

Post by bobcat » November 26th, 2012, 7:37 pm

For many years, the approach to western trailhead of the Mount Mitchell Trail was through Amboy from the south. Then the footbridge over North Siouxon Creek got washed out and the road to the trailhead slid down the slope. The new, but unsigned trailhead can be reached from FR 90 as for the former (now closed) approach to the short route to Mt. Mitchell. From FR 90, it’s about 10 miles south on a decent gravel road, the caveat being there is much logging activity here during the week, so weekends are the best time to go.

A fairly new section of trail drops into an alder/big-leaf maple bottomland, passes below a clearcut and undulates in and out of creek gullies. Now that the rains have begun, there is water everywhere. Springs gush along the trail and numerous small creeks require some agility to cross. Large snags attest to the devastation of the 1902 Yacolt Burn: it’s difficult to imagine the intensity of a conflagration that consumed giant Douglas-firs and cedars six to eight feet across over many square miles.
Moss-covered maple, North Siouxon Creek.jpg
Big snags, North Siouxon Creek.jpg
Eventually one sights North Siouxon Creek and the old trail coming up from the former bridge crossing. Near here, there’s the first of several interesting tributary crossings: this one a salal-encrusted trunk over the rushing spate. After this, the trail hangs high above the North Siouxon Gorge, with occasional views down into the narrow defile. You reach the second big tributary crossing, where you can balance across a rotting, mossy log.
First big creek, North Siouxon Creek.jpg
Footbridge, first big creek, North Siouxon Creek.jpg
Rays on the trail, North Siouxon Creek.jpg
Spider web, North Siouxon Creek.jpg
The tread, which has seen comprehensive maintenance recently, now runs through a lush, wet bottomland, the track sometimes becoming a series of ponds. Fungi were fruiting in more abundance than I have seen all fall. I reached the first remaining footbridge from the original trail construction and arrived at another interesting creek crossing: here, a couple of 2 x 4s are tacked to a log with a very loose length of twine between them.
Trail reflections, North Siouxon Creek.jpg
Lobster mushroom (Hypomyces lactifluorum), North Siouxon Creek.jpg
Dark melanoleuca (Melanoleuca melaleuca), North Siouxon Creek.jpg
Old footbridge, North Siouxon Creek.jpg
2 x 4 string bridge, North Siouxon Creek.jpg
Finally, you arrive at the first sign on the trail where the path for the Black Hole leads steeply down to the cold, brooding amphitheater on North Siouxon Creek which holds this thundering 50-foot waterfall. The sun doesn’t reach down here this time of year and temperatures were many degrees cooler than above on the main trail. The conditions create their own turbulence and soon my extremities were numb.
Late fall oysters (Panellus serotinus), North Siouxon Creek.jpg
Below Black Hole Falls, North Siouxon Creek.jpg
Black Hole Falls, North Siouxon Creek.jpg
Having enough hours in the day, any demi-loony could continue from here to Mt. Mitchell itself: it’s only another 5 ½ miles one way from the Black Hole.

Note: While this is Washington DNR land, there was no sign at the trailhead about the Discovery Pass. The hike to the Black Hole is about 9 ½ miles round-trip.

kepPNW

Re: Black Hole Falls, North Siouxon Creek

Post by kepPNW » November 26th, 2012, 7:47 pm

Very intriguing TR! I'd love to see a track of where, exactly, that is. That certainly looks worth checking out.

And some of those photos were just outstanding! The rays were intense. The web was just a classic. And the one after that, with the reflections, was a jewel. Thanks for posting this!
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark » November 26th, 2012, 7:51 pm

That is some stunning photography.
Joy in the universe, and keen curiosity about it all - that has been my religion.
- John Burroughs

roadtripmom

Post by roadtripmom » November 26th, 2012, 10:55 pm

Your photos are fantastic! I think I may try and find this one soon. The moss is so beautiful on the old foot bridge.
Filling my bucket, one hike at a time.
Amanda

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » November 27th, 2012, 6:45 am

Great photos. That waterfall is especially nice
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » November 27th, 2012, 9:58 am

Here's Washington DNR's map of the trail system in its Siouxon Block. It shows both the new and former trail routes.

The northern trailhead for Mt. Mitchell can no longer be reached because the landowner of the small parcel of land at the old log sorting yard put up a locked gate there on the access road (Road 10). Here's the discussion about that situation and an update.

GoretexDisco

Post by GoretexDisco » May 28th, 2013, 6:44 pm

I tried to make it up to the North Siouxon trailhead for the first time today. I headed from Healy Road, and relied on inspecific directions and the Washington DNR map.

Well, shoot. I took too many wrong turns sniffing out the route in a network of forest service roads and threw in the towel.

Canyon Creek sure is pretty as a small consolation.

Now I'm assembling some more detailed service road maps for another try later. :lol:

bobcat

Post by bobcat » May 29th, 2013, 6:49 am

I'll plug this into the Field Guide soon enough, but here are my specific directions. I preferred to take it from the north as the southern approach looked iffy:

Drive I-5 north and take Exit 21 for Highway 503E, Woodland, and Cougar. After exiting, turn right onto Highway 503E. Drive 23.3 miles to the junction with Highway 503S and keep straight on the 503 Spur for Mt. St. Helens, Ape Cave, and Lava Canyon. Keep driving for 8.4 miles, passing through Cougar and then past a power substation at the east end of Yale Lake. Where the 503 Spur becomes FR 90, turn right onto a rough paved track and then turn right again. Drive 0.3 miles over a bridge on the Lewis River and go left at a junction. After 0.4 miles on gravel, go right onto Road S1000. Keep on the main track as you wind up, driving 3.8 miles to the junction with Road S5000. Keep left here and go another 1.0 miles to a four-way junction at a crest. Keep straight and head downhill for 3.5 miles. Where the road bends sharply to the right, there is an unsigned graveled, log-lined pullout on the left. This is the trailhead parking area.

I know it's also in Matt Reeder's book Off the Beaten Trail, but I don't have my copy with me right now (I'm at work), so I'm not sure what approach he advises.

GoretexDisco

Post by GoretexDisco » May 29th, 2013, 2:22 pm

It's probably just a bit further coming from the North, but it looks like there are fewer junctions to navigate once you're in the woods.

Coming from Healy Road, Douglas Lorain advises passing "several minor intersections" on the gravel, but they have probably mutated into "major" and "lesser" since last publication.

Matt's book (coming from Healy Road, too) is great because he helpfully identifies a problem: that S 1000 is prone to washing out, which it currently is. The workaround he suggests is just a bit down the road, and leads up to S 1000 easily enough.

There were too many unmarked branches after that for me, unless you had a detailed map; is this S 1000 or that? :lol: If anybody's heading up there, in addition to directions, I'd advise detailed map, compass and good odometer for the drive if you're coming from the South.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » May 30th, 2013, 6:41 am

I love that shot of the old mossy footbridge!