Dog Mountain Jan. 10, 2009

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Idler

Dog Mountain Jan. 10, 2009

Post by Idler » January 16th, 2009, 6:41 am

Finally, my first trip report, a record of a run up Dog Mountain last Saturday, Jan. 10, with my friend Chris from Hood River. I'm based in Vancouver and interested in meeting others who like a steep hike with a good view.

We started from the parking lot at 8:00 a.m. with the intention of going to the first view point, which is at about 1500 feet of elevation gain. I wasn't sure if I was in shape to climb. A week or so of cardio on an eliptical ensured I had plenty of wind, but a couple of days of walking with a pack up and down a steep hill in Vancouver left me with doubts.

The doubts turned out to be unfounded, as I felt great at the first lookout.
P1010014.JPG
Chris's conditioning wasn't in doubt: in the first place, he's got a few years before he hits 30; secondly, he was in training for a half-marathon (which he ran very sucessfully the following day).
P1010019.JPG
There was very little snow on the trail. In the recesses of the woods above the first lookout there were areas where snow coated the trail, causing a minor nuisance. We felt pretty good at the second lookout. I was feeling the climb a little in the thighs but didn't feel tired in the least. [attachment=7]P1010018.JPG
P1010012.JPG
P1010023.JPG
It was windy here, so I put on my shell jacket for the exposed meadow traverse trail.
P1010024.JPG
P1010028.JPG
The meadow traverse.
Thus we headed up the meadow, only to stop at a spot where some vestigial snow blocked the trail.
P1010037.JPG
We decided to stop here.
We'd negotiated a little hard snow right at the point where you break into the meadow. Since a fall would have meant a pretty good slide into the trees below, caution was called for. At this second spot, even though the snow was only a couple of yards across, it looked a little harder and the steps already carved in it looked less secure. Perhaps true mountaineers would shake their heads in amused pity, but it was clear that if one fell, it meant an unstoppable shot down a 60-foot snow slide, followed by a quick arc into some crags. My feeling was "why risk it?"

We tried the alternative of scrambling up the crags here. The spot where Chris is pictured ascending was perfect. We went up a little ways and then turned around. To be honest, having gone hard over the past couple of days, I didn't want to over do it.
P1010041.JPG
We began scrambled up a little then turned back, just because I feared a cramp or something in my sore thighs. Felt good, just being cautious.
The walk down was uneventful. We passed three other parties on their way up. As usual, our knees reminded us how punishing the descent of Dog can be. Now, with another week of training under my belt, I'm ready for more.
P1010057.JPG
P1010054.JPG
P1010052.JPG
P1010059.JPG
P1010065.JPG
Attachments
P1010048.JPG
P1010018.JPG
Chris below the summit.

retired jerry

Re: Dog Mountain Jan. 10, 2009

Post by retired jerry » January 16th, 2009, 6:46 am

Nice report, thanks.

Surprisingly little snow up there.

Maybe we're done with our main snow for the winter???

skimanjohn

Post by skimanjohn » January 16th, 2009, 7:41 am

retired jerry wrote:Nice report, thanks.

Surprisingly little snow up there.

Maybe we're done with our main snow for the winter???
I shure hope not!March can also be one of our biggest snow months.Besides it is only mid january and we all know how the nw can be about winter.There is still lots of skiing that needs to be done before this guy is ready for spring.

fettster

Post by fettster » January 16th, 2009, 8:36 am

Interesting, yeah. I was thinking there would be more snow out that way too. Nice day out!

anna in boots

Post by anna in boots » January 16th, 2009, 10:23 am

Idler, thank you so much. I have always wondered what hiking Dog Mountain would be like and those are the most detailed, comprehensive photographs I've seen yet on the entire internet. Now that I have a better idea of it, I can psyche myself up for it this fall.

If you want more steep stuff, Munra Point makes Jell-O out of legs with the right amount of enthusiasm. I'd wait until the wildflowers explode, though. Then, it's a double whammy delight. Meanwhile, Catherine Creek's climbable rock arch and Coyote Wall (aptly named) are two reasonably snow-less options for quadriceps building on the Washington side. They are my go-to spots for open space when all the close packed Doug firs start inducing claustrophobia.

Anna
Current trip reports at All Thoughts Work™ Outdoors
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

Idler

Post by Idler » January 16th, 2009, 10:48 am

anna in boots wrote: Now that I have a better idea of it, I can psyche myself up for it this fall.Anna
Thanks for the kind words, Anna. But why wait until fall? This weekend should be beautiful.
anna in boots wrote: If you want more steep stuff, Munra Point makes Jell-O out of legs with the right amount of enthusiasm. I'd wait until the wildflowers explode, though. Then, it's a double whammy delight. Meanwhile, Catherine Creek's climbable rock arch and Coyote Wall (aptly named) are two reasonably snow-less options for quadriceps building on the Washington side. They are my go-to spots for open space when all the close packed Doug firs start inducing claustrophobia.
I went up the Munra Point trail one May, so I know what you mean. The flowers were among the best I've ever seen.

I see that Catherine Creek and Coyote Wall are on adjacent pages in William Sullivan's book. Coincidentally, my buddy Chris (pictured in the report) had suggested Coyote Wall as an alternative. We might go there tomorrow. He told me it was a 1900-foot elevation gain (Sullivan says 1950), but I hadn't realized it was steep.

In December I went out to Tom McCall Preserve for the first time. It's not what I'd call very challenging (1100 feet if you go up to the point) but it's very beautiful, even in winter. Fascinating landscape, very different than just a few miles west.

anna in boots

Post by anna in boots » January 16th, 2009, 11:22 am

If you're lookin' at the red one by Sullivan, that's the one I use. I haven't actually done Coyote Wall yet and was thinking about it for this weekend. I've been there a couple times with the intention of doing it and one thing or the other changed my plans. I adore Weldon Wagon Road, which is best in spring or fall, and Klickitat Rail Trail--lots of roly-poly, persnickety marmots! Looking to do Tom McCall on a clear day, maybe a summer sunset hike.

Join Mark and I on our snowshoe adventure on the 24th; we're still fleshing out the plan but it will either be Mirror Lake or some place nearby. Have fun tomorrow!

Anna
Current trip reports at All Thoughts Work™ Outdoors
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

Idler

Post by Idler » January 16th, 2009, 2:32 pm

I'm interested in the planned snowshoe trip. I guess we'll have to watch the weather.

A couple of years ago I went up to the top of Tom Dick Harry Mountain on snowshoes. Fun day. Maybe I'll post photos.

Stevefromdodge

Post by Stevefromdodge » January 16th, 2009, 5:14 pm

There are two Coyote Wall hikes and four Catherine Creek hikes in the Field Guide.

We had a flower pic from Catherine Creek a week or so ago. I'm curious if they're still blooming or if the nightly freezes have forced them back into dormancy.