Starvation Ridge - Mt Defiance - Toes

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
payslee

Re: Starvation Ridge - Mt Defiance - Toes

Post by payslee » November 5th, 2012, 4:53 pm

It took me a while to figure this out, but the cover photo is always the first one that you upload, if you're doing uploads rather than links.

You can then use the "place photo inline" option to put your photos in any order you like within the trip report. The first one uploaded will still be the cover, even if you put it last within the TR.

My preferred direction for this loop is up Starvation and down Defiance. In fact, the last time I came down starvation I swore never again! When we came down to the powerline cliff my first thought was - where is the trail? Then. Wow, we're totally going to die. Then I took a photo of that beautiful tree in case it was the very last thing I ever saw :o

But I'm not crazy about exposure, when tread is made up of loose gravel.

I think both trails are equally steep, and both usually knock me down a few times, but when you slip on the loose gravel heading down the Starvation trail, you see nothing but the river, 1500 feet below you. When you slip on the loose gravel coming down the Defiance trail, you at least have hundreds of trees that you can bounce off of. For a large part of the Starvation Cutoff trail coming down, I just scooted on my butt to save myself the trouble of falling (this part of the trail is almost entirely loose gravel barely achieving the angle of repose).

Your mileage may vary, and I haven't been there since all the blowdowns and subsequent trail repairs this year. Have fun. Bring poles!

-payslee

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » November 5th, 2012, 5:39 pm

payslee wrote:It took me a while to figure this out, but the cover photo is always the first one that you upload, if you're doing uploads rather than links.

You can then use the "place photo inline" option to put your photos in any order you like within the trip report. The first one uploaded will still be the cover, even if you put it last within the TR.
Ah-ha! That makes total sense. I usually link to offsite photos, so that hadn't occurred to me.
payslee wrote:I think both trails are equally steep, and both usually knock me down a few times, but when you slip on the loose gravel heading down the Starvation trail, you see nothing but the river, 1500 feet below you. When you slip on the loose gravel coming down the Defiance trail, you at least have hundreds of trees that you can bounce off of.
:lol: Seems like an entirely rational basis for the decision, sure! :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

payslee

Post by payslee » November 6th, 2012, 10:07 am

payslee wrote: My preferred direction for this loop is up Starvation and down Defiance. In fact, the last time I came down starvation I swore never again! When we came down to the powerline cliff my first thought was - where is the trail? Then. Wow, we're totally going to die. Then I took a photo of that beautiful tree in case it was the very last thing I ever saw :o
This is the awesome but intimidating view that confronts you, rather suddenly, when you head *down* the Starvation trail.

The trail follows the powerlines down. Don't worry, there are switchbacks. Sort of.

The last tree:

I have an irrational fondness for Defiance even though it remains the only mountain ever to give me a black eye. Did I mention, don't forget your poles?

-payslee

edit: fixed photo sizing, I think

HBOC

Post by HBOC » November 6th, 2012, 4:22 pm

That sucks about your feet. I work at REI, and can't tell you how many people come in and have the same experience...

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » November 6th, 2012, 4:59 pm

I did Defiance today and payslee knows exactly what she's talking about. The Starvation trail has sooo much loose gravel plus half of the mountain is eroding so it's best to ascend that way and descend down the Defiance trail. For me, this was a very hard trail, but I got an excellent workout plus some good photos. Make double sure you have trekking poles or where a butt slide pad, it's a long way down.:)

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » November 6th, 2012, 5:49 pm

Okay! Those photos and the gravel stories paint a good picture. Thanks, Payslee!

Any snow up there today, FK? I have a feeling there will be, by this weekend.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » November 6th, 2012, 6:16 pm

Sorry about those toes! Been there, done that and agree with those who say up Starvation is better than down. My experience has been that well clipped nails before a hike like that is very important and shoes/boots with room is at least as important as clipped nails. I am size 11 for street shoes but wear 12 for hiking and that has served me well for many a year. I always wear wool socks, too, and ones that don't cause your feet to slide around. I very rarely blister - just lucky that way - but it pays to take precautions.

See you on the trail!

Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » November 6th, 2012, 10:13 pm

kepPNW wrote:Okay! Those photos and the gravel stories paint a good picture. Thanks, Payslee!

Any snow up there today, FK? I have a feeling there will be, by this weekend.
Hey Carl. No snow but it was pretty warm. I heard that the snow level is suppose to drop to 2,000 feet in the next couple of days because of the cold front that is passing. Have fun and be safe.

Will

Jim57

Post by Jim57 » November 8th, 2012, 10:53 pm

Another pic of the downhill and Tree
Attachments
044.jpg

R11

Post by R11 » November 12th, 2012, 2:10 pm

Personally that particular section of the Starvation trail isn't too bad for me, as the switchbacks are actually pretty well graded through there. It's the section right at the bottom where you're descending the last few switches down to the highway that's a killer. When the trail has dried out completely so your feet don't get any "bite" on it there, extended poles are pretty much a necessity.

As far as toes go, I finally figured out that the answer for me was a little counter-intuitive, and lacing tighter and tighter in an effort to keep my narrow/flat feet from sliding to the front of my boots wasn't it. For sure having boots extra long helps a lot. But what I ultimately realized is that tying my laces tighter and tighter over my forefoot not only didn't help on the really steep trails, but actually made things worse. What was happening for me was that with the laces cranked tight my skinny feet would still jam to the toe going down the steeper declines anyway, but being so tight they would then stay wedged against the front of the boot instead of rebounding back away between steps. It was that continuous pressure that was the biggest problem. Once my toes started getting a little more relief between steps they fared much better. I lost a bunch of toenails over the years figuring that out, and now keep my laces just snug. Not only do my toes feel much better but my feet as a whole are much happier with the extra freedom 8-)

ron