Hardy Ridge to-day

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
cluain

Hardy Ridge to-day

Post by cluain » June 24th, 2008, 4:09 pm

Was up on Hardy Ridge to day and I have never seen such a spectacular display of PHLOX. Paintbrush was nice too along with other flowers. You have to go to the hi point on the ridge to see the Phlox. I would reccomend the hike to anybody who wants great views and nice flowers.You will have to hike from the Hamilton trailhead which is about 12 miles round trip. I went up from Keufler to Phlox Point. That was the way Russ Jolley used to lead the hike. It is only about 5 miles that way, but requires a bit of bushwhacking and trail finding. I would urge anyone to do the hike this week as the Phlox will have peaked next week.

Don Nelsen

Re: Hardy Ridge to-day

Post by Don Nelsen » June 24th, 2008, 4:20 pm

Good work, Jim, and thanks for the info. Did you go via the ATV trail on the old logging road from about MP 3 on Kueffler? If so, how is the stream crossing?

Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

cluain

Post by cluain » June 24th, 2008, 6:45 pm

Don, The stream crossing is good. You will need sandals. I used them going up but I just walked across the creek coming back. Got my feet and socks wet but late in the hike I did'nt care. Phlox display is the best I've ever seen up there and the paint brush is good near the south end of the ridge. We had no camera so I'm looking forward to seeing your report.

There's alot of good trailbuilding at the south end of the ridge. Looks like there will be nice switch backs on the steep trail up from the East logging road

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » June 25th, 2008, 3:45 pm

Hey Cluain, thanks for the report. Glad to see you are out and about the Gorge again