Dogged by the Weather 26-Oct-2012

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

Dogged by the Weather 26-Oct-2012

Post by VanMarmot » October 27th, 2012, 7:32 am

Was in Bend on business Thursday - beautiful weather - but no time for hiking. Another TDY trip this weekend, but then the weather wasn't going to be too good anyway. Couldn't face more flight time without a hike first. What to do? Obviously set my laptop on "telecommute autopilot" and sneak out for a quick hike of Dog on Friday morning. I left Portland under cloudy skies,

went through a rain squall in the Gorge but found the Dog Mtn TH almost dry and curiously wind-free. Mine was also the only car in the lot. Climbing up, I gazed longingly at Defiance, with its promise of a snowshoe hike real soon.

There was no rain of any consequence on the ascent and the summit, while laboring under overcast, was not socked-in,

so as to allow an OK, if only lackluster, view of the Gorge,

and a luminous close-up view of Defiance.

On the way down, it occurred to me that "Augspurger" (the official USGS name) must be one of the most mis-spelled names in the Gorge.

The weather remained gloomy but dry on the way down, where I passed two folks ascending. Two folks on the trail and two extra cars at the TH - late Fall "crowds" on Dog. Good, totally non-Looney, leg stretch on an old favorite (6 mi RT, 2800' EG).

Roy

Re: Dogged by the Weather 26-Oct-2012

Post by Roy » October 30th, 2012, 7:52 pm

Looks like your blue biird streak finallly changed. Nice tr and a favorite winter hike of mlne.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » October 31st, 2012, 6:07 am

Yes, I think you finally had a Gray Jay day, Van..! Very moody, indeed... but kinda nice, actually. I'm ready for the new season.
On the way down, it occurred to me that "Augspurger" (the official USGS name) must be one of the most mis-spelled names in the Gorge.
Yes, I think you're right... though probably second to poor Wahtum Lake...

-Tom :)

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » November 2nd, 2012, 11:05 am

Roy wrote:Looks like your blue biird streak finallly changed. Nice tr and a favorite winter hike of mlne.
Bluebird in summer, white ptarmigan in winter. Looking forward to doing Dog again after it snows...