Owl Point and beyond - 10/7/12

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
justpeachy

Owl Point and beyond - 10/7/12

Post by justpeachy » October 9th, 2012, 8:00 am

Greg and I headed out on the Old Vista Ridge Trail on Sunday. The last time we were here in early October of 2009 it was miserably cold and we had to hike through snow because there had been a big dump the previous week. This time we had MUCH more pleasant conditions!

Fall is going strong up there. We saw lots of red leaves alongside the trail.

When we got to the meadow near Red Hill we inspected a pile of wood not far from the trail. Greg thinks this may have been a hunter's blind at one point. I can't believe someone hauled in all this plywood (there's more than you can see in this photo), especially since it was presumably done before the trail was cleared in 2007. Yikes!

We stopped at Alki Point, but the view to the north isn't so great with all the wildfire smoke.

Once past Alki Point the trail loses elevation. This section is also somewhat overgrown, although the trail is still easy to follow.

We hiked all the way out to the old trailhead, where the Red Hill Guard Station used to be. (I have no idea why the G.S. was named after a hill that is over a mile away.) I found a picture of the place from 1954 and it had a very unusual fire lookout platform up on the roof. I've never seen anything like it.

All that's left now is the foundation of the station.

And the foundation of some kind of garage or shed.

After that we hiked back up the way we came. We had skipped Owl Point before but visited it on our way out. The view, of course, was awesome.

Looking east.

Then we hiked back out to the car. We ran into seven other people on the trail during the afternoon, in addition to fellow Portland Hiker Jeff Stat and his family. Nice to see people hiking this great trail!

Of course on the way home we stopped at the informal roadside viewpoint for an evening view of our lovely mountain.

A few notes

I didn't notice this when I was at this trailhead on Labor Day, but there is a Northwest Forest Pass sign there. I didn't think this one required a pass, but I guess it does.

Since the trail is now the border of the wilderness thanks to the expansion in 2009, the Forest Service has put up about a dozen wilderness signs along the route. (I've seen signs like this before and the inclusion of hang gliders in the list of prohibited "vehicles" always makes me laugh.)

As has been discussed elsewhere, the Forest Service has gone through and taken down every single sign they could find on this trail (an official trail which appears on their own map!), which means that the junctions for the spur trails to the Rockpile and Owl Point are now umarked again. At the Rockpile junction we had to point some people in the right direction to get to Owl Point, and on our way out, about a third of a mile before reaching the wilderness permit stand, we ran into a couple who were hiking down from the Timberline Trail and had missed the turn back to the car. If the signs were in place neither of these groups would not have needed our assistance to find their way.

retired jerry

Re: Owl Point and beyond - 10/7/12

Post by retired jerry » October 9th, 2012, 8:25 am

Take a felt pen and write on the Wilderness sign, "Owl Point" and an arrow pointing the way :)

Guy

Post by Guy » October 9th, 2012, 9:03 am

Hey Cheryl, I think we crossed paths! When you were on the Rockpile did you see a large group of 8 wondering past & back towards the trail? We were on our way back from Katsuk Point & on our way to Red Hill. We also passed who I now know was Jeff Stat & another older couple on our way out.

Yes that Forest Pass Required sign is new & I think the FS are not following the rules (big surprise there) I'm almost certain they have to provide a porta poty at least if they want to require the Forest Pass. I intend to call them & see what they have to say about that.

Small World!
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » October 9th, 2012, 10:59 am

When you were on the Rockpile did you see a large group of 8 wondering past & back towards the trail?
We bypassed the trail to the Rockpile since we figured the view was going to be pretty similar to what we had just seen at Owl Point. We were in the area around 4:00 or so, so maybe you guys had already moved on?

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » October 9th, 2012, 4:41 pm

Nice photos and report, Cheryl! Greg was with me on my very first trip into that area six years ago -- the trail was completely overgrown in the ridge top section with mountain ash and huckleberries, and a real chore to even find the tread, and we got to The Rockpile, thinking it was Owl Point. Only after studying the maps a bit more did I realize that we were off by a short distance, and on a return trip found the way to Owl Point. I'm a big fan of rocky viewpoints that poke out of the trees like little balconies, from which to survey the terrain. I can spend hours just watching the clouds float over the mountain from either one of those viewpoints!

Cool that you got to see so many hikers up there yesterday! I've been amazed at how worn the trail tread has become over the past 5+ years... great to see!

Tom :)

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » October 9th, 2012, 5:33 pm

Is the Forest Pass signage at the new Vista Ridge TH?

If it is, it wasn't there just 3 weeks ago when a bunch of us from PH hiked from there ;)
retired jerry wrote:Take a felt pen and write on the Wilderness sign, "Owl Point" and an arrow pointing the way :)
:lol:

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » October 9th, 2012, 6:18 pm

They are supposed to provide a potty, a picnic table and a garbage can if they are going to require a NW Forest Pass! That area really needs a potty, too!

Guy

Post by Guy » October 9th, 2012, 7:01 pm

So trouble maker that I am I called up the Mt. Hood National Forest offices in Sandy today. After navigating the very annoying auto-operator I was forwarded to someone who was supposed to be able to answer my questions. This is a synopsis of our conversation:

Guy: Hello I'm calling to ask about the Northwest Forest Pass Required sign that has gone up recently at the Vista Ridge Trailhead.

FS: Don't worry sir the Pass isn't required after October 1st.

Guy: But that isn't my question, I'm wondering why the sign is there at all, it's my understanding that the FS has to improve the site with at least a porta potty before they can require a pass.

FS: I don't know sir but let me find out let me put you on Hold

Guy: OK

FS: You are correct sir there has be be a porta potty there if a Forest Service pass is required.

Guy: But there isn't, if I didn't have a pass could I still be given a ticket even though the site didn't meet the requirments of the Forest Pass?

FS: That is something you would have to take up with law enforcement sir.

Guy: Well thanks for your help (thinking NOT in my head!)

I took this to mean we are going to ticket you knowing most people will just pay the fine anyway.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » October 9th, 2012, 8:08 pm

Grannyhiker wrote:That area really needs a potty, too!
Yes, and it could really use some new gravel too! It looks to me like they re-graveled the road this year or last year, but they didn't re-gravel the lot, which has large boulders sticking up and also large dips. You have to be careful in a low-clearance car, which is ironic since the web of roads to get here are easily traveled by regular sedans.

Guy wrote:Don't worry sir the Pass isn't required after October 1st.
If it's not required after October 1 then why did they just put the sign up within the last few weeks? Also, nowhere on the sign does it say that the pass is only required through September 30. Not to mention that the Vista Ridge TH is not on the NW Forest Pass list online.

Martell

Post by Martell » October 10th, 2012, 7:20 am

It would appear that the Forest Service is removing valid, helpful, signage, and adding their own erroneous, possibly unlawful, signage.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper