Newton Creek--Gold Stars!

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
jdemott

Newton Creek--Gold Stars!

Post by jdemott » September 27th, 2012, 4:50 pm

Today I did a nice loop hike up past Elk Meadows to Gnarl Ridge, returning by way of the Timberline Trail crossing of Newton Creek and then descending on the Newton Creek trail to connect with the Elk Meadows trail. This is a hike I've done four or five times in the past and I've always found the upper crossing of Newton Creek to be a little difficult--finding the way through the wash to the crossing point is sometimes a bit unclear, the makeshift bridges across the creek are usually kind of sketchy (made more worrisome by the loud sounds of rolling rocks under the rushing water), and the scramble up the south embankment has sometimes been a bit hard to navigate. (Perhaps my past experiences have been affected by the fact that I've usually done the hike earlier in the year.)

Today, thanks to some wonderful trail genies, the crossing was an absolute breeze! :D There was such an abundance of rock cairns and cleared trail through the wash that it would have been impossible to have gotten off track. The bridge across the creek was a thing of beauty--several sturdy logs lashed together and wedged in with stones so they were completely stable, with a nice handrail (!) for balance. Climbing up the south bank of the creek, there were two sturdy ropes available so the scramble up was a piece of cake.

Five gold stars to the thoughtful and hardworking folks who made it possible! Many thanks, whoever you are!
IMG_0364.jpg
IMG_0365.jpg

Peder

Re: Newton Creek--Gold Stars!

Post by Peder » September 28th, 2012, 7:06 am

I agree! Chip and I did the same loop a few weeks ago and enjoyed the easy Newton Creek crossing. Five gold stars indeed.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » September 28th, 2012, 4:40 pm

Very nice! I may do that loop this fall in light of the luxurious crossing - I normally avoid that one when I can, but very much enjoy that loop!

Tom :)

Alpenglow

Post by Alpenglow » September 30th, 2012, 6:16 am

Thanks for the nice report. What are the miles and elevation for that loop?
Dream as if you'll live forever...Live as if today's your last

jdemott

Post by jdemott » September 30th, 2012, 8:49 am

Depending on how much exploring you do (like wandering around Elk Meadows), it is about 9 or 10 miles and about 2500 feet of elevation gain. Here is the link for the Field Guide. http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org ... adows_Hike You can also find descriptions in some of the printed guides like Sullivan.

Here is the view of Hood from Gnarl Ridge:
IMG_0361.jpg
And here is a view of the ridge looking up from Newton Creek:
IMG_0370.jpg
It's a nice hike because there is a lot of variety in the scenery. While there is some elevation gain, I don't think of it as a difficult hike because the climb isn't especially steep and the trail is in good shape.

Alpenglow

Post by Alpenglow » September 30th, 2012, 7:00 pm

Thanks for the pictures, link and stats. I have done Elk Meadows and Gnarl ridge many times, but never linked it together with the Newton Creek trail. A great idea. I always love a good loop!
Dream as if you'll live forever...Live as if today's your last

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » October 1st, 2012, 8:48 pm

Thanks for the report, John - I followed your footsteps on Sunday, though simply did an up and back to Newton Creek via the Newton Creek Trail, due to limited hiking time. Very nice day, lots of hikers (!) at the trailhead, but not many on the Newton Creek Trail. Some photos from yesterday:

Ridge top view from just off the Newton Creek Trail:

Interesting old sign -- here since the Hood River Meadows campground was open, which pre-dates the development of the HRM ski lift and lower parking area, circa late 1970s:

Some views on Newton Creek... a bit late in the day for photos, but I might do a repeat trip with an earlier start if this unseasonable weather holds out!

Thanks for the inspiration, John... the bridge was wonderful, and the rope quite convenient on the descent (didn't need them on the ascent).

BTW, this version of the circuit doesn't save much time or distance, as it turns out -- or elevation. I just didn't remember how much mileage the full loop entailed, so played it safe with an up-and-back.

jdemott

Post by jdemott » October 2nd, 2012, 2:33 pm

Great photos, Tom! Looks like you had a nice hike.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » October 2nd, 2012, 9:15 pm

Very nice! Thanks for the inspiration, John!