Sierra High Route Thru-Hike 8/9-9/5

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Rabid Swan

Sierra High Route Thru-Hike 8/9-9/5

Post by Rabid Swan » September 27th, 2012, 1:13 pm

It took me 2 full weeks to sort through/stitch my 4000 photos and I'm just starting to transcribe my journals, so I figure I'd do a brief summary here while it's all still semi-fresh in my mind. This hike is far from Portland, but this forum is full of strong hikers who seem crazy enough to do something like this. I just hope you have knees left to destroy. ;) If anyone wants do it all or sections shoot me a PM and I'd be happy to answer questions.

Steve Roper scouted out this route in the 70's and published a book Sierra High Route:Traversing Timberline Country. At about 195 miles this is a wild version of the John Muir Trail with about half of the route off trail and the whole route staying mostly between 9,500-11,500ft. Having now done both the JMT and the SHR I can say the latter is on a whole other level of difficulty, beauty and solitude. For example after the first 3 days mostly off trail I saw 5 people. On the fourth day the route joined the JMT for 6 miles over Mather Pass(considered one of the more difficult JMT passes) where I counted 33 people in 2.5 hours and felt like we were traveling on a city sidewalk. I'm terrible at capturing the scenery in words and won't even attempt it, but this site did a good job of it if you want to check it out. http://www.backpacker.com/may_2008_feat ... ions/12396

After months of planning I was a bit apprehensive of navigation(no GPS just map and compass), my gear selection, overall safety and the responsibility of leading my moderately experienced best friend. This was all trumped on the drive down to the sierras as an abscessed cyst rapidly grew in my armpit. Perfect timing. All focus went towards finding an urgent care center in Sacramento where I was sliced open, cleaned and packed full of gauze 12 hours before starting the trek. We arrived at our first camp the next night off trail with thunder and lightning overhead after climbing from 5000ft to 10,500ft. I lost my sunglasses, was experiencing Acute Mountain Sickness and all of my gauze had fallen out of my cyst when I was instructed to leave it in for 3 days. Fuming curse words, anger and bitterness I force fed myself and passed out unable to appreciate the beauty around us. As usual the food and sleep magically returned us back to normal and we set off on what would become a constant state of awe for the rest of the trip.

This trip certainly pushed my comfort level and had its downfalls like almost breaking my leg, losing my tyvek groundsheet to the wind gods, dropping my camera 250ft off a summit, and experiencing an "unusual stretch" of rain for the first 12 days straight. It even took 3 hitchhikes, 2 buses, and a 19 mile hike just to get back to our car, but despite all the difficulties I'm thrilled that we finished and can live to tell the tale.

-Jake

Stevefromdodge

Re: Sierra High Route Thru-Hike 8/9-9/5

Post by Stevefromdodge » September 27th, 2012, 1:52 pm

Thanks for the tantalizing preview. I hope we'll more details later!

What is the church-like stone building?

Rabid Swan

Post by Rabid Swan » September 27th, 2012, 2:07 pm

That's the Muir Hut on top of Muir Pass. The sierra club built it as an emergency shelter. I spent the night in it in 2010 when i had some wicked thunderheads moving overhead. It's based off of an old Italian design according to the SHR guidebook.

potato

Post by potato » September 27th, 2012, 3:28 pm

Thanks for the report, this looks awesome! Is the route very technical?
self observing universe (main blog)
Joe hikes (PCT blog)
Laws of Nature (bandcamp)

Rabid Swan

Post by Rabid Swan » September 27th, 2012, 3:49 pm

The majority of the route is straightforward, but there are many passes that involve class 3 sections and we encountered a few class 4s, but we only did those out of stubbornness instead of backtracking. Because we went late season in a dry year we had miles and miles of endless talus requiring constant concentration. This route definitely requires good map reading skills and experience in off trail travel. I only had to use my compass a few times and i was only lost once when i tried finding a pass after dark.

texasbb

Post by texasbb » September 27th, 2012, 6:51 pm

Wow, just wow. I haven't been there at all (yet), so I suppose I should put the trails on the bucket list first. But boy, those pictures sure tempt me to try something beyond my abilities! :)

Thanks for sharing; looking forward to more details!

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » September 27th, 2012, 7:27 pm

texasbb wrote:Wow, just wow. I haven't been there at all (yet), so I suppose I should put the trails on the bucket list first. But boy, those pictures sure tempt me to try something beyond my abilities! :)

Thanks for sharing; looking forward to more details!

+1 to this. Sounds like a heck of a way to spend part of the summer. Thanks for posting :)

Paul

Post by Paul » September 27th, 2012, 7:44 pm

Awesome pics! I love the Sierras. I go every other year for Jeeping and spend half my days hiking to little tranquil lakes. And the weather is generally very temperate, unlucky stretch with 12 days of rain...
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
- Will Rogers

pyles_94

Post by pyles_94 » September 27th, 2012, 8:39 pm

Man this is awesome! I'd say those days of rain were really a benefit, look at all those cloud photos you got! SO jealous.
Jamey Pyles

BarleynHops

Post by BarleynHops » September 28th, 2012, 1:11 pm

I was surprised to see your trip report! My wife and I just got back last week from hiking the SHR from 9/5-9/22. Ran into one other couple hiking end to end and a few others section hiking it. We had the same experience as you joining the JMT after Frozen Lake pass and seeing more people in 5 minutes that we had the previous 3 days on the High Route! Sure is a rugged and beautiful route that Roper put together. Although I have to say I'm happy to be done hiking over miles of talus.
Here is a link to our journal: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=390200