Jefferson Park (via South Breitenbush), Labor Day 2012

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
adamschneider

Jefferson Park (via South Breitenbush), Labor Day 2012

Post by adamschneider » September 3rd, 2012, 9:58 pm

I just got home and am far too tired to write or post much (woke up at 5:15 this morning and got on the trail by 9:00), but I just wanted to say this for now: next year, if you're contemplating it, but thinking it'll be too crowded, go ahead and go to Jefferson Park on Labor Day!

We passed maybe three pairs of homeward-bound backpackers on our way up the South Breitenbush Trail, but barely saw anyone else all day. A couple groups of people were wading in shallow parts of Bays Lake and Scout Lake, but for the most part we felt like we had the place to ourselves. We didn't see a single tent set up anywhere, and not a single person by the river (which is where the best wildflowers are). Apparently everyone clears out early.

mjirving

Re: Jefferson Park (via South Breitenbush), Labor Day 2012

Post by mjirving » September 4th, 2012, 11:48 am

...or they are under the impression that it's on fire or closed still.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » September 4th, 2012, 12:07 pm

I feel like I probably made a list like this years ago, but now that I've actually hiked from all three Jefferson Park trailheads, I'll do it again:

Whitewater: 4.7 miles to JP, 1800' of gain
- Pros: Trail is in excellent shape; decent road (7.1 miles of gravel).
- Cons: Not much to see until you're in JP itself.

Park Ridge (PCT): 5.0 miles to JP (3.3 miles to Park Ridge), 2500' of gain (1500' out, 1000' back)
- Pros: Scenery almost from the beginning of the trail; great view of Jefferson from Park Ridge; possibility of a Park Butte ridgewhack.
- Cons: The HORRIBLE road is not fit for ordinary passenger cars; and you have to climb 1000' at the end of the trip.

South Breitenbush: 5.6 miles to JP, 3000' of gain
- Pros: Easiest drive (4.7 miles of gravel); nice scenery (including views of Jefferson) starting at about 3.5 miles in.
- Cons: Very rocky trail; lots of elevation gain; first few miles are monotonous.

Overall, I think if I were to recommend a trailhead to someone, I'd say to do the PCT route from Breitenbush Lake, if you have a vehicle that can handle. it. Otherwise I think Whitewater is the way to go. I'm glad I did South Breitenbush for once, but I don't envision myself returning there much in the future; I couldn't count how many times I nearly twisted my ankle on loose rocks on the way down.
Last edited by adamschneider on September 4th, 2012, 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » September 4th, 2012, 2:57 pm

For a longer (several day) trip, you could start at Olallie Lake and take the PCT south. The trail through the Scenic Area to Breitenbush Lake is beautiful (especially the first couple of miles, on a ridge with outstanding views) and you avoid the horrible road. Of course you have to hike longer!

I suspect that a lot of folk thought Jeff Park was still closed or at least would be smoky. At least that worked to your advantage!

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » September 4th, 2012, 3:20 pm

I hadn't considered the smoke angle. I checked the weather forecast and saw that west winds were expected, so there was nothing to worry about. We didn't even get one whiff of it, and the sky was perfectly clear.

This photo is looking east-northeast up the S. Breitenbush River, basically right toward the fire, which according to the InciWeb maps was just three miles away:

kelkev

Post by kelkev » September 4th, 2012, 7:26 pm

Sounds like we both hit Jeff Park this year with minimal crowds. I only ran into 3 or 4 people when I was there, but I did me a small mob headed in as I was headed out.
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir