Soapstone Lake-Clatsop State Forest

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
rogersjd74

Soapstone Lake-Clatsop State Forest

Post by rogersjd74 » August 19th, 2012, 7:11 pm

Soapstone Lake-
-1.5 miles (plus a .9 mile loop around the lake)
-Elevation gain 250 Feet
-Clatsop State Forest-Soapstone Lake
Directions: Highway 26 west to Highway 53, head south 4.8 miles and turn left on gravel road signed-Soapstone Trailhead. Follow gravel road to trail head.
IMG_4090.JPG
Trail Head
I was looking for a good overnighter trip for my wife and 9 year-old son. With temperatures hot all last week, baking the cascades, we decided to head for the coast range. I had read about Soapstone Lake a few years ago and forgot about. In short, this is a GREAT family entry level backpacking trip. The trip is about an hour from Portland, it offers a short hike with brutal elevation changes, it provides a mild coast climate and it has a lake. This was my sons 2nd backpacking trip, last year we took him to Veda Lake, and this was a good follow-up. He is now asking for a multiday trip, I think I did my job by breaking him the right way.

We took our time leaving home, realizing that we had a short drive and short hike. We left the house at 11am, had lunch at Camp 18, and then hit the trail by 1:30pm.

The trail meanders through quite a bit of trees blown down from the 2007 wind storm. Much of it is in the process of being logged or has been logged recently with new tree plantings evident as well. The rolling hills through the blow down area are soon replaced by a cool moist coastal forest walk. You pass over several simple bridges, walk through meadows full of waist high grasses and flowers until you reach Soapstone Creek. Soapstone creek is bridged by a cool looking V-type trail bridge and has several shaded pools in the creek which look quite inviting. After the bridge the trail begins to climb. A large hill with exposed tree roots is soon replaced by railroad tie type steps as you gain a wee bit of elevation surrounded by old Douglas Firs. The trail soon comes to a “T” type junction which circles around the lake.
IMG_3986 (600x800).jpg
Soapstone Lake Glimpse
IMG_4030 (800x600).jpg
Soapstone Lake
IMG_4076 (600x800).jpg
Steps
There are two to three different campsites at this serene little lake. Two of the sites are to the right of the “T” and one is on the water near a beach outcropping on the lake. Floating logs crowd the western end of the lake near the outlet, a beaver den on the northern side of the lake and a swampy skunk cabbage marsh makes up the eastern end of the lake. We chose the first campsite to the right of the “T.” which is a ways above the lake, but my thoughts were that it would be less buggy and the lake would be less of a temptation for my Golden Retriever, Gus.

The lake offers lots of safe for the kids with a swimming/fishing area on the small beach area, newt racing with a few of the lakes 100,000 rough skin newts or rock skipping. My 9 year old did all of the above and had a grand time. Be forewarned though…. The lake is a soft muddy bottom and the kids will get muddy!
IMG_4097.JPG
Newts
IMG_4017 (600x800).jpg
Fell in the lake...
The water in the lake is a bit low right now, and the creek flowing in to the lake is but a trickle. The water in the lake is warm and full of newts and fish. I have a Steri-pen and filter and was sure drinking from the lake would be fine, but decided against it after my wife’s very vocal protest. The best water source is about .5 miles back down the trail (towards the car) at Soapstone creek, where the trail crosses a fast flowing creek.
IMG_4096 (535x640).jpg
V-Log Bridge- Noted Water Source
In all, this was a great chance to spend time with family outdoors. If you are looking for a short jaunt for the family or a new place to enjoy, Soapstone Lake out in the coast range would be a great pick!
IMG_4064 (597x800).jpg
Soapstone Lake
Map Here: http://cms.oregon.gov/odf/field/astoria ... ailmap.pdf

Jane

Re: Soapstone Lake-Clatsop State Forest

Post by Jane » August 19th, 2012, 10:25 pm

Wonderful report and photos! I haven't done that little hike in a few years - I believe it was closed off for logging as well as work on hwy.53 - glad to see it's open! I remember the newts too, more than could count, glad your family enjoyed that unique area : )

rogersjd74

Post by rogersjd74 » August 20th, 2012, 7:13 am

Jane-

Thanks for the reply. It is unique little area. My main purpose in the write up was to offer another option to those who are trying to get thier families into backpacking. At 1.5 miles (or longer if you loop around the lake) Soapstone Lake offers the family an entry level trip and is fairly close to home. I've mainly lurked for years on this site and have seen others inquire about kid friendly trips. This is a short distance hike to a lake and fits the bill of a family friendly hike.

-Jason

joerunner

Post by joerunner » August 20th, 2012, 5:01 pm

Good luck keeping the Golden out of the lake. :lol:

Nice looking family. Thanks for the report!

rogersjd74

Post by rogersjd74 » August 22nd, 2012, 12:38 pm

Thanks...

The crazy thing is this Golden seems broke! He has a huge aversion to water. Will go up to it, sniff it, put a paw in and then he backs off... Crazy Dog! He is so unlike our prior Golden who much like all other Goldens we have been around, are drawn uncontrollably to anything water!

jbellink

Post by jbellink » September 30th, 2012, 10:32 pm

Thanks for the write-up. We just passed the sign for this hike tonight on the way home from the coast, and I was intrigued. One question: since there's only 250 feet of elevation, there are no "brutal" elevation changes, right? (I ask only because your intro says, "The trip is about an hour from Portland, it offers a short hike with brutal elevation changes . . . ") Thanks again!

KAR

Post by KAR » August 13th, 2013, 2:18 pm

Really nice write-up! My son and I headed out there yesterday, but wanted to update folks on the area.

Soapstone Lake is currently open for day use only. All camping signs are covered with "Day Use Only" signs. We hiked in to the upper campsite and the signs are all covered up there as well.

We saw lots and lots of scat on the trail (way more than we usually see anywhere else) and can't really be sure what kind it was, as we are far from being scat experts. There was fur in some of the scat. The deposits did not look like owl pellets at all. We did recognize elk/very large deer prints and droppings though.