Jefferson Park ala Whitewater Trailhead

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
OutandBack

Jefferson Park ala Whitewater Trailhead

Post by OutandBack » August 17th, 2012, 10:11 pm

A few of us decided to do a little shake-out run (test some new equipment & make sure the old stuff still works) before heading off on a 5-day trek in the Eagle Cap Wilderness next weekend. None of us had ever been to Jefferson Park. I'd attempted to get there last year in early July, via Pamelia Lake & a very snowy Woodpecker Ridge but decided to give up the go when I reached Jeff Creek & deemed it too dangerous to cross.

We camped Friday night at Lost Lake on the Santiam Pass & struck out early Saturday morning but not before catching this nice reflection.

We arrived at the trailhead about an hour later & were greeted by a ton of cars & some of the SAR people who filled us in on the missing hiker. Eventually we hit the trail...my girlfriend was overly anxious, she'd never been backpacking.

The trail was great and well-maintained. It was a long grade but nothing strenuous.

Three Pyramids

Nevertheless, we finally made it to Jeff Park & it was definitely worth the little trek.
More shots from in the park

And we headed back out Sunday...

great little trip but the mosquitoes were hell. Another thing...I'm glad I had a campsite map, some of those sites are hard to find. We had a nice spot at Bays Lake. All in all, a greet weekend. I'm glad I got to see it. Tomorrow we're doing the South Sister & then next weekend we head for Eagle Cap. :D