Bluff Mountain Trail 6/22

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Delfiin

Bluff Mountain Trail 6/22

Post by Delfiin » June 23rd, 2008, 7:47 pm

So with all the snow this year we have been sticking to mostly low elevation trails in the gorge and along the coast. This weekend we decided we needed something different. After reading all the wonderful reviews about the Bluff Mountain Trail to Silver Star, we were itching to give it a try. The road to the trailhead was clear, but it was obvious that they did a lot of work to make it that way. There are logs and rocks to the sides at various places. Arriving at the trailhead, we were completely surrounded in fog. We decided to believe the weatherman and trusted that the sun would greet us as we hiked. Within two minutes of starting the hike we hit our first snow patch.
Bluff_Mountain10.JPG
Bluff_Mountain2.JPG
The snow is hard packed and easy to walk on. All in all we were feeling pretty confident with the way things were going. As we approached the saddle between Bluff Mountain and Little Baldy the fog began to lift and we were treated to our first views.
Bluff_Mountain8.JPG
I also was able to see plenty of one of my favorite flowers the avalanche lily
Bluff_Mountain4.JPG
Bluff_Mountain5.JPG
As well as its cousin the glacier lily
Bluff_Mountain6.JPG
As we turned the corner towards little baldy we were met with another snow patch. At first it seemed like no big deal. When I stepped onto it, I realized it was a little too icy to kick steps into, and a little too steep to be able to stop myself if I took a spill.
Bluff_Mountain7.JPG
So we decided to backtrack a little and scramble up Bluff Mountain instead. This was a fun little scramble and the views from the top were great.
Bluff_Mountain1.JPG
Bluff_Mountain9.JPG
It was a great hike, if shorter than we had planned. On the way back we were treated to clearing skies with views of St. Helens and Adams. We also noticed some fresh bear tracks in the snow that weren't there during our hike in.
I would guess that if the weather stays nice this trail should be pretty clear in another 10-14 days. I am going to try it again in Mid July. I can't wait!
Last edited by Delfiin on June 24th, 2008, 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlexanderSupertramp

Re: Bluff Mountain Trail 6/22

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » June 23rd, 2008, 8:36 pm

Wonderful report Delfiin.....I think I'll try in mid July as well :)

Adam

fettster

Post by fettster » June 23rd, 2008, 9:14 pm

Wow! I was on this trail almost two years ago exactly and found conditions very different. It is quite something to compare your views to what I saw then. My very first time on this trail we had exactly the same views as you did at the trailhead, none! It is quite striking what the difference it is when conditions are clear. I wonder how much the flowering season has been altered this year up there, crazy!

Delfiin

Post by Delfiin » June 24th, 2008, 4:23 am

Fettster, I can't believe how different it is from your trip two years ago. As far as the flowers, some of the lower areas had paintbrush, but most of the trail is just breaking out with the avalanche/glacier lilies. Plus, areas higher than we made it aren't even beginning to bloom yet. I think there will still be a variety of flower by late July. By the way, your dog is adorable. What a great hiking companion.