Three Sisters Circumnavigation July 29-31

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
BarleynHops

Three Sisters Circumnavigation July 29-31

Post by BarleynHops » August 2nd, 2012, 11:36 am

The wife, and I arrived at Lava Lake Trail head on the North side of the loop around 1:30 AM and hiked a mile or so before finding a flat spot to set up a cowboy camp.

We decided to hike the trail clockwise to get the hot dry east side out of the way early. The last time we hiked this loop the dogs had a hard time with the heat and dry volcanic sand on the east side.
IMG_5046.jpg
IMG_5054.jpg
A plump horny toad.
IMG_5055.jpg
A trail maintenance crew recently cleared the downs which the forest service mentions on their webpage. There are basically no down trees on the east side. The west side had a few downs. We probably encountered a dozen downs during the entire hike.
IMG_5064.jpg
There is still lingering snow on the climb up from Park Meadow to Green Lake Pass with large patches of continuous snow on the top; staying on trail required effort in this area.
IMG_5077.jpg
We camped on the pass above Green Lakes with beautiful views of Broken Top and the Sisters. The slight breeze kept the bugs from joining us for cocktail hour.
IMG_5093.jpg
Hit the trail early in the morning and were surprised to find it had dropped below freezing over night, the snow melt puddles had frozen. We donned our microspikes to hike down the icy snow to Green Lakes.
IMG_5114.jpg
Most of the designated campsites at Green Lakes are melted out. We saw a couple of tents at the lakes.
IMG_5124.jpg
We wanted to climb South Sister but were worried about the dogs getting too tuckered out so my wife offered to stay with the dogs above Lake Moraine while I hiked up South Sister. The weather was perfect for the climb. It took almost 4.5 hours hours up and back. There is a bit of snow half way up until just bellow 9000 ft. And then its dry trail to the summit.
IMG_5165.jpg
IMG_5167.jpg
IMG_5141.jpg
Wickiup Plains are not at their prime yet, in a few weeks the grass will be green and wildflowers will be in full bloom.

Really? Is laying unsightly branches and dumping rocks along the trail really what needs to be done to keep people from hiking off the trail?
IMG_5182.jpg
The bugs were out in full force around Mesa Falls creek until the snow started up again. We had to camp under the tarp with head nets on.

The next morning we again found lots of ice and the snow got continuous. Many times we gave up trying to follow the trail and just contoured along in the snow. We pulled out the GPS once and confirmed we were 0.4 mile above the trail but otherwise we didn’t need to use the GPS.
IMG_5208.jpg
Suncups
IMG_5212.jpg
IMG_5219.jpg

retired jerry

Re: Three Sisters Circumnavigation July 29-31

Post by retired jerry » August 2nd, 2012, 11:43 am

Nice!

What did you do for drinking water when you were above Green Lake? That would be an excellent area to camp.

BarleynHops

Post by BarleynHops » August 2nd, 2012, 11:47 am

More snow slogging
IMG_5226.jpg
Obsidian Falls and Sister Springs are normally pretty crowded, however, due to the snow we had it all to ourselves.
IMG_5233.jpg
IMG_5241.jpg
The black obsidian juxtaposed against the white snow was striking. Too bad we didn’t capture it well on camera.
IMG_5242.jpg
After Glacier Way trail junction the snow cleared up and we entered the lava fields. Luckily it wasn’t too hot because this area can be hard on soft indoor dog paws.
IMG_5260.jpg
Arrived back to the car and had a swim at the lake before heading down to Hop Valley Brewing Company in Springfield for some beer and burgers!

BarleynHops

Post by BarleynHops » August 2nd, 2012, 11:55 am

There was a small trickle of snow melt at the top of the pass. There was another snow melt creeklet along the trail on the just north side of the pass.

Here is the north of the pass:
IMG_5079.jpg

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 2nd, 2012, 1:04 pm

When I've walked through there it was in September and there were no creeklets, but it seemed like a nice spot to camp. There were a few snow patches. Maybe if I had looked around more and walked higher up...

Scree

Post by Scree » August 2nd, 2012, 5:48 pm

What kind of permit do you need to get to hike this?

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 2nd, 2012, 6:39 pm

No permit

In the Obsidian area you're supposed to have a permit to camp. If you're thru-hiking you don't have to. Maybe you wouldn't want to camp there anyway because it's too busy.

In the Green Lake and Moraine Lake areas you have to camp in a designated campsite.

There's a bunch of info in the field guide.

Scree

Post by Scree » August 2nd, 2012, 8:35 pm

Actually I stopped by the Trail Around Three Sisters Hike field guide page first but wasn't sure from that; I'd heard a lot in the past about needing permits to go near Obsidian Falls but I guess not for this hike. Thanks for the information and for the report. I'll probably be there in a couple of weeks.

Slugman

Post by Slugman » August 3rd, 2012, 10:59 am

I am thinking about heading in to Moraine lake and Green lakes next week, perhaps Thursday the 10th of August. I see by your excellent reports and pictures that snow won't be a problem for me (much). I would like to also visit Chambers lakes on the same trip. I have six days, so that's a good amount of time, but I also must drive back and forth from Seattle, so really it's more like 4 1/2 days on the trail. So, my question is, to get from Green lakes to Chambers lakes, by trail, seems like a long way, with lots of elevation loss and re-gain. Is there a reasonable way to get from Green lakes to Chambers lakes, perhaps a trail or way trail not shown on the USGS map, or by off-trail travel? It's only a couple/three miles, but the country may be really rough, or off-trail may be prohibited, I'm not sure. Thanks for any info you may have.
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. ~John Muir

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 3rd, 2012, 11:48 am

Someone said they went from Green Lake to Chambers Lake direct.

Above Green Lake, the trail reaches a maximum elevation of about 7000 feet.

From there, traverse over, gradually gaining a few hundred feet, maybe up to 7600.

From the topo map it looks doable. There are cliffs to maneuver around.

I've eyed that route from both ends and it looked doable.

Take some pictures and report back if you do it.

From the high point above Green Lakes towards Chambers Lakes:
100_6923.JPG
From the pass between South and Middle Sister towards Green Lakes:
139.JPG