Good Old Devil's Rest Loop 20-July-2012

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

Good Old Devil's Rest Loop 20-July-2012

Post by VanMarmot » July 20th, 2012, 2:59 pm

My unexpected Friday off and the big plans I had for it came a cropper in the face of early morning thunderstorms, lightning, rain, wind etc., etc. from the Central Cascades N thru the Gorge. So Plan B became a hike just for the exercise - nothing new, no off-trail, no views. After waiting out the worst of the storms, I left the Angels Rest TH about 8:30am and went on up to Angels. The view from the boulder field near the top was not a sunny, happy one,

but the Rest itself was doing some cool stuff with swirling clouds. The atmosphere today might best be described as troubled.

It never actually rained on me but the vegetation crowding Tr 415 over to Wahkeena Springs was soaked and soon I was too. I got around to the best viewpoint on the Devil's Rest trail to find not much of a view.

As I worked my way back to the TH, I came across this little guy in the middle of the biggest mud puddle in the Foxglove Trail. I don't have a beard and I'm a bit taller, but we sure shared the same same wet, mud, and expression. Dude, I feel your pain, what happened to summer?

Despite the weather, the trail was busy from Angels on down and both parking lots were full - guess I'm not the only one who thought July = summer. Still, a good leg stretcher - 10.5 mi, 3000' EG.

donaleen

Re: Good Old Devil's Rest Loop 20-July-2012

Post by donaleen » July 21st, 2012, 9:21 am

I love that Angels Rest view photo. Very nice. Worth the trip by itself.

Splintercat

Re: Good Old Devil's Rest Loop 20-July-2012

Post by Splintercat » July 22nd, 2012, 8:40 pm

Ditto on that, Van - that second shot of Angels Rest with mist rolling off the cliffs is a classic!

Tom :)