Table Rock 6/20/08

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Aridd

Table Rock 6/20/08

Post by Aridd » June 23rd, 2008, 5:50 pm

i was given the day off on friday and thought i was blessed with the perfect day to give table rock a try. ive asked about it a couple times and called a few weeks ago to keep getting the expected "snowed in" answer. i headed out of salem with my girlfriend at 10am, a little later than i had liked but oh well. i pointed table rock out to her for the 20th time as we headed toward the molalla exit on the freeway (woodburn exit). i had been there before, a couple times in the snow and completed it once. its a good hike if there isnt snow. we got to the trailhead, my pack weighing in at a 30-40lbs to get used to the weight for longer summer trips coming up, and her with no pack and some treking poles. we walk about 30 minutes, passed the first section which is an old road and we head through the first section of forest with the nice view of the drainage to soon encounter snow and more snow, we found the person belonging to the one car at the trailhead and the set of foot and dog prints we were following through the snow, he told us he couldnt find the trail so he headed back after a couple hours.

^this is the trail right where we turned around.^

i had been through that game before so we headed back to find another hike in the area before we wasted more day. almost back to our car we decided to join two older men (who one of which knew the area very well) in their snow scramble up the hill and onto the mountain. at about 4000 ft it was all snow until the top which was mostly clear. our day of hard work was rewarded as we gazed upon the sisters, mt jefferson, mt hood, mt adams, mt washington, mt st helens just to name a few, i also spotted downtown portland in the setting sun. i wish i could have taken more pictures but i will and hope to cover the trail better next time.

markesc

Re: Table Rock 6/20/08

Post by markesc » June 23rd, 2008, 6:46 pm

Wow looks like you both lucked out! That place really always has this "out there" feeling I cannot describe! Great photos!!!

fettster

Post by fettster » June 24th, 2008, 7:26 am

Way to take advantage of the day! I recognize your turnaround point from hiking there late last fall. Fortunately there wasn't enough snow then to prevent us from following the trail. Battle Axe is really starting to shed its snow it looks like, though I wonder how the northern slopes are looking?

Thanks for sharing!

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » June 24th, 2008, 8:11 am

Is Battle Axe the high point on the horizon to the right in that last photo?

We had a terrible time in one section in our hike this past October just as the trail comes out of the woods and butts up against the cliffs - I'm wondering if with the snow so much deeper if you had an easier time in that section? You didn't mention snowshoes - so I'm guessing you didn't have them. Was there much postholing?

Aridd

Post by Aridd » June 24th, 2008, 6:10 pm

actually we took a shortcut up the west ridge and skipped all of that, and your right it would be almost impossible getting through those boulder fields in this snow, we were all agreeing its not worth an ankle or leg.