Mirror Lake and Tom, Dick & Harry 7-3-12

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Excursionista

Mirror Lake and Tom, Dick & Harry 7-3-12

Post by Excursionista » July 3rd, 2012, 8:43 pm

I solved two riddles today: Tom, Dick, and Harry Mtn is free of snow along the entire ridge, and if you want solitude on the Mirror Lake Trail, simply climb to the top of TD&H in the clouds and rain. I'll try to add some pics, but there's not really a reason, as you'll see.

I didn't hike the entire ridgeline, but there was no snow anywhere in sight, except a few small patches in the talus beneath the ridge. In the interest of providing a better report, after hiking I went to Mt. Hood Brewery's Ice Axe Grill for a beer, which has a view of the entire ridgeline. No snow in sight, and the ESB was tasty.

I was up and back down to the lake by 2pm. I was alone on the top, watching clouds roll past and open up and then obscure the view. Pretty peaceful, though I never saw Hood. I saw no one until I came down, and then I saw a stream of people coming up. Nothing says unprepared like a cotton-clad, shorts-wearing person asking "How far is it" in a cloud (especially if they've only traveled about 1/4 the distance). Also, the lake was surrounded by families, each of which was alike in their unhappiness (sorry Tolstoy!): every kid there was dressed in shorts and a t-shirt and had a towel around their shoulders. Not a single kid was in the water. It was just too cold.

The next to last thing I'll say is that the sun started coming out when I left the lake, and the rhodies look pretty nice right now. Nothing else is really blooming yet. I think much of the trail above the lake has only just melted out in the last few weeks.

And the last thing I'll say is that I watched a father bring his 6-year-old son to the water. The little guy picked up a rock, and the father said "No, put that down, that's not exploring."

I wanted to toss Dad in the lake and say, "That's not exploring either, but it sure was fun!" :twisted:

kepPNW

Re: Mirror Lake and Tom, Dick & Harry 7-3-12

Post by kepPNW » July 3rd, 2012, 9:50 pm

Hey, good to know about the snow up there! I'll pass that along to my kid.

Kinda crazy what you run into on that trail, even sometimes until you go east of the typical turnaround point on the ridge.

Thanks...
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » July 4th, 2012, 6:35 pm

Yeah, you gotta let those kids throw a few rocks in the water -- otherwise, how will you trick them into doing the next hike..?

Too bad those families missed he sunny weather by a day, but on the other hand, they had the quintessential Oregon experience...

Tom :D

littlefeet

Post by littlefeet » July 6th, 2012, 10:19 am

We took a short trip up on June 29/30 - and struck gold with the weather Fri/Sat.
IMG_8378.jpg
Mirror Lake...
Weather was perfect - crowds were thick... our camp overrun by foreign tourists with no clue!

But, nights were quiet, gear is all in order, foot is fully mended from surgery and I'm ready for the tough stuff now.

Headed to the Strawberries in a week. YAY!
Life is too short to wear tight shoes!