Snake on Dog

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
airoff

Snake on Dog

Post by airoff » July 2nd, 2012, 8:58 pm

Sorry if this doesn't qualify as a true trip report (it's my first try!). I mostly just wanted to thank the two ladies who saved me from the rattler on Dog Mountain last Friday! I'd have stayed and been more polite but it was 2:00 and I still had to summit Wind Mt. and get back to pdx for happy hour at 5!

These are the only shots I could get:
phpL1BWSnPM.jpg
phpL1BWSnPM.jpg (20.44 KiB) Viewed 2964 times
phpvAoIEtPM.jpg
phpvAoIEtPM.jpg (23.64 KiB) Viewed 2964 times
I heard one of you joke that someone should write a trip report on Portland Hikers so I figured, why not!? Anyway, nice to meet fellow PoHikers on the trail!

More photos to make it more of a TR:
php1cO3N8PM.jpg
php1cO3N8PM.jpg (23.19 KiB) Viewed 2964 times
phpihAfFtPM.jpg
phpihAfFtPM.jpg (23.32 KiB) Viewed 2964 times
phpjKMglqPM.jpg
phpjKMglqPM.jpg (20.88 KiB) Viewed 2964 times
phpuVqs1BPM.jpg
phpuVqs1BPM.jpg (18.64 KiB) Viewed 2964 times
phpwACfzTPM.jpg
phpwACfzTPM.jpg (23.13 KiB) Viewed 2964 times
I had a great weekend of hikes. After doing Dog and Wind on Friday, I did Multnomah Falls/Franklin Ridge/Oneonta Loop on Saturday, then went up Starvation Ridge to Mt. Defiance and down Defiance Trail on Sunday. I swear it takes longer to add photos to a trip report than to do the trip itself, so I'll leave it at that!

Peder

Re: Snake on Dog

Post by Peder » July 2nd, 2012, 10:22 pm

This is a true and great trip report! Your flower photos are cool (I thought the flowers were dead on Dog Mtn by now) though I cannot manage to enlarge your photos. Your snake is a bit fuzzy, but then I happily leave rattlesnakes to others. :D

Welcome to this site and keep posting cool trip reports! Thank you.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 3rd, 2012, 6:13 am

Yeah, nice pics. Dog gives such great views of the gorge.

I was thinking of a snake attacking someone's dog :lol:

hlee

Post by hlee » July 3rd, 2012, 7:39 am

Ugghhh, so jealous about the snake! I had every certainty that I would see a rattler on Dog Mtn, just from the power of positive thinking. But I didn't. :cry:

Nice photos!

Hannah

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.
-- T.S. Eliot

airoff

Post by airoff » July 3rd, 2012, 7:21 pm

Peder wrote:This is a true and great trip report! Your flower photos are cool (I thought the flowers were dead on Dog Mtn by now) though I cannot manage to enlarge your photos. Your snake is a bit fuzzy, but then I happily leave rattlesnakes to others. :D

Welcome to this site and keep posting cool trip reports! Thank you.
Hey thanks!!! I'll figure out the photos yet. I too assumed the flowers were dead- I was more than surprised when I entered the clearing below the summit to see all the yellow. I had to resize all the photos to post them- there must be a simple html code I can use to post small pics that can be clicked on and enlarged. And yeah, I was a bit hesitant to try to get a better shot ;) I truly appreciate your kind words!!
retired jerry wrote:Yeah, nice pics. Dog gives such great views of the gorge.

I was thinking of a snake attacking someone's dog :lol:
Haha! Yeah, I thought I'd try a Santorumesque title for intrigue.
hlee wrote: Ugghhh, so jealous about the snake! I had every certainty that I would see a rattler on Dog Mtn, just from the power of positive thinking. But I didn't. :cry:

Nice photos!
I'm always on the lookout for rattlesnakes and this is the first I've ever seen! I didn't even consider they were present west of Bingen for some reason. Now if I could ever just see a beaver...(not a euphamism).

Finally, I'm super sorry for bumping a Dog Mt. TR to the top, I know that's lame. I just wanted to say thanks!

Reckless

Post by Reckless » July 3rd, 2012, 9:24 pm

AUUUGGGH!!! Rattlesnakes?!?! I'm terrified of rattlesnakes... Here I was, thinking I was safe on this side of the Cascades... =( Not gonna be able to go outside anymore!
Better to live in the wild - feel it, smell it, see it - and do something real that succeeds. - Jack Turner

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 3rd, 2012, 9:43 pm

airoff wrote:Hey thanks!!! I'll figure out the photos yet. I too assumed the flowers were dead- I was more than surprised when I entered the clearing below the summit to see all the yellow. I had to resize all the photos to post them- there must be a simple html code I can use to post small pics that can be clicked on and enlarged. And yeah, I was a bit hesitant to try to get a better shot ;) I truly appreciate your kind words!!
I think you just resized them too small. If you resize them to about monitor size, then upload and put them inline like you did, the site will resize them again to that smaller size and pop the larger one when clicked. I played around in the test forum, for just a little bit before the patterns became clear. The Preview button is great, too.
airoff wrote:Haha! Yeah, I thought I'd try a Santorumesque title for intrigue.
:lol:
airoff wrote:I'm always on the lookout for rattlesnakes and this is the first I've ever seen! I didn't even consider they were present west of Bingen for some reason. Now if I could ever just see a beaver...(not a euphamism).
I've seen both. Much prefer the latter! (What you said. ;) ) Skunks and rattlers are two things I just don't need to see more of.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...