Wind Mountain - Beautiful! - 6/27/12

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
erin&alex

Wind Mountain - Beautiful! - 6/27/12

Post by erin&alex » June 28th, 2012, 11:54 am

Alex and I wanted to hike somewhere in the Gorge, but when we started the Aldrich Butte hike, a disaster struck! Alex got a horrible allergy attack, and we had to make our way to the North Bonneville gas station to purchase some allergy medication and beverages. We decided to try a different hike. Wind Mountain! Alex says it is his favorite viewpoint hike in the Gorge so far. I agree. These are all the delights of a Wind Mountain hike: huge trees, fresh conifer smells, blissful silence, crowd free, interesting Native American history and significance, and the perfect difficulty for the two of us (steep, and not long at all). There were a couple of things to look out for, but mostly it was very pleasant.

We probably didn't start hiking until around 4:30. We got back to the car around 7:00. Curious Gorge directions got us there without hassle. We only saw two other groups of people there.

There was a shoe brush mechanism at the trailhead.

There was also a sign stating that some parts of the trail may be impassable.

And while there were some trees fallen over and parts where the trail had become very skinny from erosion...

...it was still a beautiful trail!

Although there were some bugs flying around our heads, the trip up was very pretty, with views of surrounding mountains through the tall trees.

Once you get near the top, signs explain the importance of this mountain to Native Americans. It made the trail that much more interesting!

Here are some of the views from the top, including some of the rock walls.

Can you see the moon? It might first appear to be a speck on your computer screen...

On the way down, the sunlight on the trees was great.

Speckly light!

Watch out! I think it's poison oak!

Overall, the trail is Alex and Erin approved.

This was our first trip report, I hope it was okay. Enjoy! And go to Wind Mountain!

Stevefromdodge

Re: Wind Mountain - Beautiful! - 6/27/12

Post by Stevefromdodge » June 28th, 2012, 1:57 pm

Thanks for the report. I know Wind Mountain was hit very heavily by storms last winter. How many trees are still down over the trail?

erin&alex

Post by erin&alex » June 28th, 2012, 3:20 pm

I would say there were about ten trees down over the trail. The trees all had notches for getting over them, though, which made it easier. I would say that there were about three places where the trail was falling away quite extensively. Nothing too scary though!

hlee

Post by hlee » June 28th, 2012, 6:57 pm

Interesting TR. As I was recently up Dog Mtn, I wondered about possible trails on Wind Mtn. Nice photos!

Hannah

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.
-- T.S. Eliot

CuriousGorgeGuide

Post by CuriousGorgeGuide » June 29th, 2012, 10:28 am

Great report, and thanks for the thorough update aboout the downed trees. I didn't know a shoe-scrubber had been installed--thx! I hope you have a ummer filled wiith fun Gorge adventures....cheers, scott

puma111

Post by puma111 » July 3rd, 2012, 7:36 pm

Thanks for your report! I went to Wind Mountain today. I didn't take my camera...unfortunately.

It is so different up there than last year. When I got there today, there was a torrential downpour, and about a third of the way up... after scrambling over some slippery trees...I had almost decided this wasn't a safe venture for a solo hike (well, just me and the dog).

Then I saw a group of four coming down, and they assured me that we (me and the dog) would be okay the rest of the way up! Thanks, guys! I kept going and got to the top of one of my favorite hikes. The dog made it just fine, too - she could crawl under most of the downed trees.

The way down got a little harrowing in a couple spots for the dog -- she had to jump down over a log or two, which for her is harder than jumping up. We took our time and were very careful though, and made it unscathed! I think if I had to do this over, I'd take a friend next time....but I was very happy to see after all the damage from the winter storm, it looks like there is still hope for Wind Mountain.

airoff

Post by airoff » July 3rd, 2012, 8:21 pm

Nice TR- I love Wind Mountain!

I did Defiance, Dog, and Wind this weekend (and Franklin Ridge) and I swear Wind was the toughest! I don't know what it is about that trail, but each time I've hiked it I've felt exhausted at the top. That view to the west just can't be beat. And the east side is even more amazing!

And to all those who have worked on that trail- thank you so much, you've done an amazing job!
phpxnyK2RPM.jpg
phpxnyK2RPM.jpg (66.1 KiB) Viewed 2854 times