Latourell Falls Closed: THEY WILL CHASE YOU ON DIRT BIKES

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
surfgypsy

Re: Latourell Falls Closed: THEY WILL CHASE YOU ON DIRT BIKE

Post by surfgypsy » June 6th, 2012, 8:58 pm

Splintercat wrote:
...and here I was feeling guilty, thinking I took a closed trail. Thank you. The more I replay it in my mind, the stranger it seems. I will give an update afterwards.
Not only that, but it was just the opposite: if they came down the trail on the east side of the creek, then they were in the closed area. I'm not sure how they got past the blockade nailed to the east end of the footbridge, but let's hope they didn't ride through the creek! Definitely worth calling in to law enforcement -- dirt bikers have to either haul their bikes in, or live in the area. There's a good chance these rogues live in the area, given the Gorge is not exactly a dirt bike haven.

BTW, I hiked the open section on Sunday, and saw several parties cross over the blocked east end of the bridge and head up the east leg of the falls trail to the main (and completely torn up) parking lot. One guy even set a fine example for his tiny boys, and led them past the blockade. Nice.

Tom
I do not live in Portland, but am here for a few days (dog sitting for a buddy) . . . so, I went back to the trail today (yup, that's right, but I carried my stun gun with me) and yes, I did wonder the same thing about the blockaded footbridge, because it is really screwed on tight. Did they hit a nice bank and fly over? Makeshift ramp? Hmmm. The tracks are obvious, if anyone hikes the western trail in the next day or two, you will see the tire tracks. I also noticed a few drop-offs where they obviously had some good fun and caught some nice air. Ya, bra!!!! It would be incredibly easy to slip around the fenced off area with a dirt bike on the eastern side. I called this in to the authorities after hiking the trail today, and the deputy I talked with just laughed and laughed . . . we both assume it's locals out for a good joy ride . . . he told me he wouldn't do anything unless he receives multiple reports, but he did recommend I have my boyfriend follow me on a dirt bike if I ever run the Boston Marathon. He said he had no doubts I would win. Well, hey a have a whole new level of motivation about running. He also told me to hike with a baggy full of nails or tacks next time around . . . "yeah, just sprinkle them all over and dive off the trail." Okay. Thanks, Mr. deputy. I'm glad I made your night. HAHAHAHA LOL LMAO

airoff

Post by airoff » June 6th, 2012, 10:28 pm

Ok, I'm going to be the first to say that this seems like an odd reason to sign up for this forum, but to each her own.

Maybe you should try craigslist and see if any BMXers saw a girl they thought was cute and tried to talk to on the trail. Or worse, they were a pack of rapists on bikes. But no one would chase down an "illegal" hiker like that for any reason period. And also, I find it odd you think it's ok to flee what you thought were authorities.

I don't know what your motives are, but frankly I don't believe your story. Sorry.

Excursionista

Post by Excursionista » June 6th, 2012, 10:51 pm

airoff wrote:Ok, I'm going to be the first to say that this seems like an odd reason to sign up for this forum, but to each her own.

Maybe you should try craigslist and see if any BMXers saw a girl they thought was cute and tried to talk to on the trail. Or worse, they were a pack of rapists on bikes. But no one would chase down an "illegal" hiker like that for any reason period. And also, I find it odd you think it's ok to flee what you thought were authorities.

I don't know what your motives are, but frankly I don't believe your story. Sorry.
I also have a hard time believing this story. However, if I see a TR tomorrow from Latourelle Falls and there are dirt bike tracks all over the place, I'll be hard-pressed to doubt it, and pretty upset with myself for my cynicism and suspicions. So I'll reserve judgement.

Still, I'd like to ask the moderators to watch this thread and any future posts by this person carefully.

surfgypsy

Post by surfgypsy » June 6th, 2012, 11:02 pm

What happened is over and done with. I ran and I'm sure if it happened again, I would run again. Go look at the tracks. I'm not asking anyone to believe my story. I know what happened. I joined this forum after looking up some hikes on Google, and several posts led to this forum. I hike every week both where I live on the coast (daily with my doggies), and when I visit friends along the gorge. I posted my run-in at Latourell Falls because I didn't know whether or not that western trail was open/closed and didn't know why I was chased. As several users stated, it could have been benign activity, and maybe what I thought I heard amidst the yelling and splashing of the creek and echo in that little canyon got lost in translation, but I just reacted to what seemed like very aggressive yelling and no mistake, dirt bikers hot on my heels. I ran like hell. I have no doubt I did the right thing in my mind. I don't have a "thing" for running from authorities. I wasn't smoking pot, I wasn't doing anything illegal. I went for a beautiful hike/run, and got scared shitless out of my Zen and did not expect guys on dirt bikes to come flying down the trail. End of story. It is a hikers' trail. I am certainly not trying to pick up a date. I have a partner of over 2+ years (seems you are implying I'm on here to hook up by spreading fanciful, outlandish stories). Please check back regularly. I will write all about my Sasquatch adventures on the Olympic Peninsula. Happy hiking.

For the record, I took a few low quality cell pictures the day of my "encounter" just before I sprinted back to the road, and today when I hiked back in, I did take pictures of the dirt bike tracks. The deputy laughed off my experience and again, we both assume it was some locals out for a joyride, but I did have a feeling to take a few pictures. I will post those soon and then I am off to get some sleep. It is much too late for this nonsense.

Eldon

Post by Eldon » June 7th, 2012, 12:40 am

Any pics of the tracks yet?

raven

Post by raven » June 7th, 2012, 2:52 am

Please check back regularly. I will write all about my Sasquatch adventures on the Olympic Peninsula.
Figures.

surfgypsy

Post by surfgypsy » June 7th, 2012, 4:33 am

I ran like hell and I would run like hell again. You will surely discredit me and discount and dismiss me so I'm not sure why I am posting these pictures or for whom . . . anyhow. Please don't make "humorous" references to rapists. That is perhaps my one request. It doesn't amuse most women and running away from guys on dirt bikes (who are yelling at you very loudly and aggressively) is not really all that amusing. I was terrified. I tend to see the humor in things afterwards, but certainly did not as I was sprinting up then down the trail. Oh and please do skin my hide, because I hopped over the blocked gate because I really wanted to know how the hell they got over it, and crossed the bridge . . . I have noted the shots from the western trail and the shots from the eastern trail. Yes, the Sasquatch comment was pretty snooty. I apologize. I suppose I will stick with the positive forums I do visit and I will stick with sharing sacred surf breaks, fishing holes, paddle spots, and camp sites with close friends and family. That is what I have done my entire life . . . it works out beautifully . . . so I guess I'll stick with it. Cheers. Let the sacrifice begin. I probably will stick around to hear your comments, but possibly not much longer than that. Please feel free to delete this thread, as I have apparently rubbed so many valley boys the wrong way. -Em
Attachments
14.JPG
eastern trail
13.JPG
eastern trail
12.JPG
Looking at the falls from the eastern trail...just above the bridge...
11.JPG
western trail
10.JPG
western trail
9.JPG
western trail
8.JPG
western trail
7.JPG
western trail
6.JPG
western trail
5.JPG
western trail
4.JPG
western trail
3.JPG
western trail
2.JPG
western trail
1.JPG
western trail (1-14 are taken with my point-shoot-and-say-a-prayer camera yesterday 06/06)
trailclosed.jpg
This was taken on 06/05 from my crappy phone camera . . . I'm walking towards the gate from the western trail
trailclosed.jpg (11.88 KiB) Viewed 2825 times

surfgypsy

Post by surfgypsy » June 7th, 2012, 4:55 am

Oh and just a few more...
Attachments
19.JPG
18.JPG
16.JPG
15.JPG

SeanMMM

Post by SeanMMM » June 7th, 2012, 5:59 am

Did you owe the bikers two dollars?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP9gSfXgir0

surfgypsy

Post by surfgypsy » June 7th, 2012, 6:06 am

Ah thanks, man. I laughed and laughed . . . the free fall is epic! Stunt double? jeje Thank you! :lol: And no, I don't owe them two dollars and no, I did not drop my wallet (as someone suggested). Thanks for keeping it upbeat. :lol: