PCT from Bonneville TH 5-26.27-12

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
turtle

PCT from Bonneville TH 5-26.27-12

Post by turtle » May 28th, 2012, 5:44 pm

As much fun as I have had this year snow-shoeing and snow camping I wanted to just hike on dirt for a change. I headed north on the PCT via the connector trail (can't remember the name) from Bonneville TH. I started about 9 am with decent weather. The clear cuts were as ugly as I remembered but I guess that is part of the experience on this trail.
P1000424 [1280x768].JPG
Shoot around the clear cut.
Gillette Lake had three sets of campers and I think someone widened the road since I last visited.
P1000421 [1280x768].JPG
If you can't avoid the giant tower, make it part of the scenery...sort of.
I really like the two stream crossings in this area, very pretty and green this time of year.
P1000425 [1280x768].JPG
I continued north on the PCT at a leisurely pace since I had no set destination other than north on the PCT. As I passed the Two Chiefs trail I made the umpteenth mental note "I really have to hike that one of these days." There seemed to be a large crowd set on hiking to the top of Table Mountain so I decided to stay north and leave them behind. A few to several miles later I ran across this thing and figured I would ask if anyone knew what it used to be.
P1000444 [1280x768].JPG
I was surprised at the views back towards the Columbia and being able to see where I had come from, so to speak.
P1000448 [1280x768].JPG
I made better time than I thought and reached the trail intersection with the Three Corner Rock trail. It seemed like a good time and place to stop for the night. I met two other intrepid souls named Zach and Denise; chatted for a bit and found a nice stealth site far enough away to keep everybody private. It was also close to the top of the slope for dry ground. After setting up my stealthy tent we all had dinner at what they called the Amphitheater.
P1000451 [1280x768].JPG
We were all enjoying the views and each others company plus the hikers cuisine and pretty soon it was ten o'clock or so. Completely dark. It took me just over half an hour to find my stealthy tent and stealth site. Before I left the site I had thrown my cooking gear in my nearly empty pack to schlep everything down to the overlook. This included my sleeping pad and chair kit. So half my gear is hiding in the deep dark woods and the other half is with me. One more mental note: put something that reflects light on the @#%$ stealthy tent. My choice to camp near the top of the slope also put me directly in the path of a lot of wind. That plus some rain made for a wet and stormy night. Mental note # 3: good job seam-sealing the tent, Dude! No leaks, just condensation in the morning.

It was misty/foggy in the morning as I packed up and said my goodbyes to Zach and Denise. This intersection by the Rock-pit caught my eye.
P1000453 [1280x768].JPG
I also had a siting of the rare Hiker beast in action.
P1000455 [1280x768].JPG
yes, I know I caught my good side.
The foggy weather made for good shots of the trees and trail.
P1000457 [1280x768].JPG
P1000461 [1280x768].JPG
I was getting a little gassed on the return trip so I passed on hiking Table Mountain. I was back to the car by 4:30 to 5'ish and headed back home.

Flower shots:
P1000463 [1280x768].JPG
P1000418 [1280x768].JPG
P1000441 [1280x768].JPG
Trail notes: The trail is in great shape overall. Some areas need a bit of brushing and there is one blow-down of good size just north of the Two Chiefs junction. About 3 or so miles north of Table Mountain there is a nice spring coming out of the ridge and across the PCT. This is the only good water before the spring a short distance up the Tree Corner Rock trail by the PCT.

I think I ended up hiking about 14 miles each day. It was a great trip and I was pleasantly surprised at tne number of views to be had north of Table Mountain. I will definitely have to go back to this area.
Summer breezes caressed me, my legs stepped forward as though possessed of their own appetite, and the mountains kept promising. Rebecca Solnit

Grannyhiker

Re: PCT from Bonneville TH 5-26.27-12

Post by Grannyhiker » May 28th, 2012, 8:10 pm

For the too-stealthy tent--reflective guylines! With even a small LED light, you can spot them several hundred yards away! They also help prevent tripping over the guylines at night.

http://gossamergear.com/etc/accessories/ezc-2-line.html--what I have on my GG tent

http://lawsonequipment.com/All-Products ... -p881.html--free shipping!

http://www.kelty.com/p-136-triptease-lightline.aspx--a bit heavier, but no stronger--Tarptent.com uses this for guylines
Last edited by Grannyhiker on May 29th, 2012, 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adventuremuse

Post by Adventuremuse » May 28th, 2012, 9:12 pm

Thanks for the report Turtle. No poison ivy for you, I hope!

drm

Post by drm » May 29th, 2012, 7:08 am

I've wondered about that section of the PCT which doesn't get much attention, maybe because it is mostly in state forest land. My map shows a separate access to the Three Corner Rock area via Stevenson, and that might be better for me since I think I'd prefer to avoid the long and clearcut sections from the North Bonneville trailhead. I don't think you were too far from the trailhead near Stabler.

Peder

Post by Peder » May 29th, 2012, 8:51 am

turtle wrote:A few to several miles later I ran across this thing and figured I would ask if anyone knew what it used to be.
Donkey Skids.JPG
Turtle - Those look like the foundations for steam donkeys that are to be found close to the powerline. You can also ask Don Nelsen!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

percival baxter

Post by percival baxter » May 30th, 2012, 4:16 pm

I did a shuttle hike of roughly the same area 5/26 to 5/28. We started up at the FR43/PCT intersection near Stabler/Hemlock and hiked south to the Aldrich Butte TH.

I agree that the trail is in great shape. Many people overlook the area, but Sedum Pt (north of 3 corner rock) is a great place to camp with excellent views and a cliff side fire ring!

I used to live down in N. Bonneville and would often hike near table and up the hamilton creek drainage, but I would never use the actual 'Bonneville PCT trailhead.' Next time you make a trip up that way, think about using the Aldrich Butte TH or the Bonneville hot springs TH. I find them both much more enjoyable than trudging through a few miles of clear cuts. The maze of roads and user made trails can be a bit confusing if it is your first time up that way, but once you figure it out you may never use the Bonneville PCT TH again.