Memorial Day Weekend: Eagle Creek to Wahtum Lake

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
renegadepilgrim

Re: Memorial Day Weekend: Eagle Creek to Wahtum Lake

Post by renegadepilgrim » May 29th, 2012, 4:27 pm

drm wrote:
renegadepilgrim wrote: My favorite creek crossing involved two separate parts. I don't know the name of the creek, but it's a reverse fork...so there are two creeks dumping into one. It was insane. Lots of water and it was moving fast.
In the tradition of hiker simplicity, I've heard of this spot as called the Two Creek Crossing. About 2 miles below Wahtum, right? There are great camps down below next to the confluence, and the cascade above is real pretty as well. The two creeks are wide and shallow, but in the spring deep enough to make dry feet crossings difficult.
Yep, that's the one...there were campsites on each side, which looked like cool spots to camp. My feet stayed mostly dry...my boots are not waterproof...but it was definitely tricky....I was more worried about falling in, even with trekking poles.
Travel and Outdoor Adventure Website: http://www.renegadepilgrim.com
Instagram/Tumblr/Twitter: renegadepilgrim

Dustin DuBois

Post by Dustin DuBois » May 29th, 2012, 8:52 pm

renegadepilgrim wrote:Then, around 1a, I heard footsteps going past our campsite and saw head lamp lights. Weird. What are people doing out on the trail this late?
haha I love the Eagle Creek Trail area in the dark. When I did the ECT/PCT/Ruckel Creek in August the sun went down right as I got to Wahtum Lake and I pushed on through to the Ruckel switchbacks where I took an hour nap around 4-5am. On previous trips I'd done all of the earlier parts of the ECT at different times of night. I like that area a lot in the dark! Of course, that was August dark...

The crossings before Wahtum Lake weren't really "crossings" in late August either, just some trickles that I noticed =P.

I'm anxious to get out and do this loop again but this time much quicker than 24 hrs ;D.
Hi!

mhoffman206

Post by mhoffman206 » May 29th, 2012, 11:06 pm

Then, around 1a, I heard footsteps going past our campsite and saw head lamp lights. Weird. What are people doing out on the trail this late? Didn't think much of it until I heard footsteps again...going the opposite direction and then again going back up the trail...this happened for a while and there were at least three or more people, based on the LOUDNESS of their voices, as well as the LIGHT of their head lamps. This went on until at least 2:30a!!! They were carrying on trying to find a campsite, finally settling on a very small piece of open dirt across from our site. I was sooooo irritated. They woke up three of the five of us at our campsite. (I found out today, they did the same thing to other people along the trail....)
Well let me take a moment to introduce myself. I hate to admit this, but I was part of this party that unfortunately disturbed renegadepilgram so badly that he had to blog about us sooo harshly :cry: . My friends and I had an excellent hike up Eagle Creek; enjoying the many falls, wildlife, and the challenge of finding a campsite on a busy Memorial Day weekend. Being six independent, fit, and adventurous young lads we decided to push forward into the the Hatfield Wilderness after not being able to secure a campsite earlier in the hike. Unfortunately, what we hoped would have lasted an hour turned into two, and all of a sudden we found ourselves hiking onward and upward to Wahtum Lake in the dark. Now, I know some of you are thinking, "Man, that is a dick move those guys pulled being loud and intruding on that person's campsite." And, in most situations I would agree. However, I need to defend my group in stating that we had hiked the entire distance from Eagle Creek trail head to Wahtum Lake (with some backtracks) mostly in the dark in 8 hours. Furthermore, we did not know that there was a parking lot at Wahtum Lake explaining the low vacancy of campsites. Also, we ended having to make camp on a tiny parcel of snow/dirt that afforded no sleep for our journey back down early the next morning (after being so rudely woken up by renegadepilgram's party and having to hear dirty nasty things said about my friends).

In my humble opinion and what I would have done if in renegadepilgram's shoes, would have been to get up out of my tent and see if these fellow hikers might have needed assistance. Maybe that LIGHT was because our group was in the DARK and we needed to SEE if there was any suitable campsites. And sorry for the LOUDNESS of our voices, but when it's dead quite in the middle of the night, a WHISPER can sound like a ROAR. All in all I'm happy I PUSHED myself to hike up to Wahtum Lake in one day. Sorry renegadepilgram if we put a damper on your wine and cheese camping excursion, but the last time I checked there weren't any hiking hours.

Drink more wine and sleep deeper. We weren't that loud. Oh, and tents are thin so be careful what you say about people who camp next to you.......we heard everything.

mhoffman206

Post by mhoffman206 » May 29th, 2012, 11:09 pm

haha I love the Eagle Creek Trail area in the dark. When I did the ECT/PCT/Ruckel Creek in August the sun went down right as I got to Wahtum Lake and I pushed on through to the Ruckel switchbacks where I took an hour nap around 4-5am. On previous trips I'd done all of the earlier parts of the ECT at different times of night. I like that area a lot in the dark!
Thank you proving my point perfectly H.I. and you're absolutely right! What an amazing hike that was in the dark. Coming into the fog in the pitch black and seeing a frozen Wahtum Lake is pretty awesome!

renegadepilgrim

Post by renegadepilgrim » May 30th, 2012, 4:20 am

mhoffman206 wrote:[
Drink more wine and sleep deeper. We weren't that loud. Oh, and tents are thin so be careful what you say about people who camp next to you.......we heard everything.
That was perfectly intentional too...I felt no need to keep my voice lowered since standard protocol at campsites is quiet hours are from 10p to 8a...which you so kindly did NOT observe. You also woke another group up around midnight about 2 miles down the trail doing the same thing...wandering around their tents with bright lights and loud voices.

As a WOMAN, I did not feel it was SAFE to leave my tent while a bunch of MEN were tramping around the campsite. So forgive me for taking my personal safety into account when it appeared you were doing just fine figuring out your situation, however loud and lit up it was...

A simple apology would have sufficed, but instead, you accept no responsibility for your actions. Or you are just a troll doing some pot-stirring...hmmm....
Travel and Outdoor Adventure Website: http://www.renegadepilgrim.com
Instagram/Tumblr/Twitter: renegadepilgrim

mcds

Post by mcds » May 30th, 2012, 7:44 am

renegadepilgrim wrote: A simple apology would have sufficed, but instead, you accept no responsibility for your actions.
+1

Dustin DuBois

Post by Dustin DuBois » May 30th, 2012, 9:42 am

I hope nobody ever complains that I'm on a trail in the middle of the night, I enjoy it. There's a difference between quiet hours at a "campground" and quiet hours at campsites along a trail in the middle of the wilderness, I think. If you want people to not be walking around or talking in the middle of the night, you should probably put up a tent at a real campsite that has things like "quiet hours".

renegadepilgrim, I think you're overreacting a bit and expecting a little too much "comfort" out of a wilderness trail-side campsite. It doesn't sound like they were carrying on partying, maybe you could try to be a little more tolerant. Or take earplugs and a sleep mask if you're that easily-disturbed.. in a pitch-black silent wood.
Hi!

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » May 30th, 2012, 10:24 am

renegadepilgrim wrote:
A simple apology would have sufficed
+2!!!

Rest of post deleted. This has been over-hashed.
Last edited by Grannyhiker on May 30th, 2012, 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mhoffman206

Post by mhoffman206 » May 30th, 2012, 10:41 am

Just because we didn't see the parking lot @ Wahtum doesn't mean we didn't plan granny. And furthermore Granny, what if we didn't want to make a plan, and rough it a little (since it is just a trail)? Is there any "hiking etiquette" that says every hiker must have a set plan and itinerary or else? Also, sorry that we didn't get an early start enough start for you and kept you up past your bed time. Again, based on your comments and demeanor, it sounds to me like if people didn't hike the trails the way you hike the trails, then they shouldn't be on them at all!

We tried our best not disturb anyone. We weren't shining our lights into tents or anything (their tents were literally right next to the trail) or yelling. Pull the sticks out of your a---- and try and let everyone enjoy the beautiful outdoors we have around here.
renegadepilgrim, I think you're overreacting a bit and expecting a little too much "comfort" out of a wilderness trail-side campsite. It doesn't sound like they were carrying on partying, maybe you could try to be a little more tolerant. Or take earplugs and a sleep mask if you're that easily-disturbed.. in a pitch-black silent wood.
Thank you again H.I. for being a voice of reason.

mjirving

Post by mjirving » May 30th, 2012, 12:43 pm

Aren't there bigger issues in our troubled world to deal with than this? It sounds like each side make some reactive behavior and that there wasn't anything malicious going on here on either side. Let's just move on...sound good? (Yes I know I can just choose not to read this, but one of the things I like about this forum is there are almost no flame wars)