Timothy Lake loop from Little Crater Lake 5/16

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
pdxgene

Timothy Lake loop from Little Crater Lake 5/16

Post by pdxgene » May 16th, 2012, 5:49 pm

Some fun shots from the long but level loop around Timothy Lake today from the Little Crater Lake campground lot.
Fun with the high clouds....

The Mothership about to descend atop Mt Hood...

Your typical snowy beach scene that's on most every hike...

Sun dogs! This was pretty cool, the sun bleaches out some of the color with the pictures but it was very bright in person..

Check out the tree in the middle of the trail. Somehow it managed to fall standing up and is now wedged in with the canopy. The tree it fell from is right there next to it. Almost like it was just lifted up and set down. It really looked strange walking towards it..

Sullivan's book says it's a 12 mile loop , the sign here (and all around the lake)say 13. Add a mile for the out and back to the Little Crater Lake lot. Whatever, it's a long way..

And a map of the route.. The trail sticks mainly to the lake, there's a lot of roads on that map too.

And finishing the day at Little Crater Lake. Spring runoff kind of dilutes that pure blue water you will see here later in the year. It'll be much better then.

A large tree has come down, blocked the path and fallen partially into the lake. There are dozens of small trees and branches down along the route and maybe half a dozen bigger ones that actually require some effort to get around.

I think now and late fall are the best times to go for one main reason. All the campgrounds are still closed and you'll have the place virtually to yourself. We saw a few people fishing here and there but not another soul on the trail from a bit after 10a to a bit before 4p. We had it to ourselves the enitre hike. The wind was roaring in the trees above but under their canopy it was just a refreshing breeze. More pics from another great spring day here..
http://picasaweb.google.com/pdxgene/TimothyLake5

Yay sun!

Crusak

Re: Timothy Lake loop from Little Crater Lake 5/16

Post by Crusak » May 16th, 2012, 8:08 pm

I'm very jealous of your last two trips, pdxgene. Both look amazingly fun. thanks for sharing! Timothy Lake looks like a fun loop to tackle right now. Hard to find solitude around Timothy Lake during the months when the campgrounds are open. I didn't realize that you can go down there in the off-season & just hike. THAT looks like a fun idea!
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

mileagemike25000

Post by mileagemike25000 » May 17th, 2012, 5:43 pm

Thanks for the great trip report pdxgene! I didn't expect to see this area being relatively snow free. Given the trail conditions in your TR, and our love for this region, we are planning to visit Timothy lake this weekend! :)

I was just wondering if Skyline Rd and NF-58 are both snow free to Little Crater Lake?

Thanks!

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » May 17th, 2012, 6:19 pm

What little snow that was still there never covered more than enough road that we couldn't just go around it. And there was just a few scattered patches. I'd guess most of that little bit will be gone. Go thru those areas slowly, the edges can be slick, and you'll be fine.
There might be a bit more down near the south end campgrounds approaching the dam. We didn't go that far and a few days earlier I had checked with PGE (seemed a better idea than the forest service since they pretty much run the place) and they said the route thru Estacada/Ripplebrook was completely clear and clear to Pine Point CG coming from 26. That'll be more than a week ago by the time you go.
There's also a work project constructing what looks like maybe an all-accessible (pavement) area right near the south end by the dam too. It's signed 'no entry from the dam side. We came from the other way and didn't see the sign that on our side only said something about a detour up into the trees. We went down by the water instead. Seemed easier.
Enjoy the quietude.. Someone got a car into North Arm campground so it seems that road in must be ok too.

cliffordlo

Post by cliffordlo » May 17th, 2012, 6:28 pm

thanks for your report...it's one of my favorite Spring running routes, but I wasn't sure about snow! Looks like it's pretty clear! Beautiful...I'll hit it in the next few weekends:) Lori

mileagemike25000

Post by mileagemike25000 » May 17th, 2012, 7:18 pm

Thanks much for the road access info! I think I'll stay clear of the SW dam area for now until there's more construction info. We really enjoy starting at Little Crater Lake, as you had done, and heading out counter-clockwise towards Meditation Point. We won't be hiking the entire loop but will try to scope out the Dam area if time permits?