Coyote Wall 4/15

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
potato

Coyote Wall 4/15

Post by potato » April 17th, 2012, 12:04 am

Went to Coyote Wall on Sunday with my wife, dog, and a couple of friends. It was pretty good weather for it and plenty of people out… probably 5x as many mountain bikers as people. On the sign it says bikers are supposed to yield for hikers, but we were the ones who did the side-stepping at every interaction, so I wonder what "yielding" means in this case.

Anyway, I know there have already been some trip reports from the area recently, I'll just say that the trails were all clear, we didn't get any ticks, we did see some young red poison oak, and there was a good variety of wildflowers but not a large volume of them.

I love the bark on these trees.

There's a power line that has broken away from its peers and is pretty close to the ground (touching it, in fact). Doesn't seem very safe.

A lawn growing out of a stump.

You can probably guess which mountain this is.

I think I would be OK with being a cow, if I got to live here.

Near the top of the wall.

These stinky little plants were everywhere.

Looking away from Hood River

Some of these shots will be similar. I like this cliff.

Pretty plant

East again

This one is for the Acrophobia thread -- the first time I came here, I was jumping from rock to rock near the edge when I came to this gap. I had too much momentum and in a split second decision jumped out above 100+ feet of air. It doesn't look like much from this angle, but the ground really drops out beneath you when you're over it! I jumped it again on Sunday on purpose so I guess I'm not too scared of heights.

Again it is hard to see the depth but I scrambled down this. My dog was smart enough not to follow me, and instead worked along the top of the ridge until he could meet up with me a bit later.

Furry, ropey little guys.

The red plants might be pretty if they weren't EVIL POISON OAK

A really lime green lichen, couldn't capture it well

Red moss

It's days like this that make me wish I lived in Hood River.
self observing universe (main blog)
Joe hikes (PCT blog)
Laws of Nature (bandcamp)

Splintercat

Re: Coyote Wall 4/15

Post by Splintercat » April 18th, 2012, 6:53 am

Great photos, Rad! Love your dog shots, too -- did she bring many ticks back to the car? I'm wondering how ours would do, given that we use Advantix (e.g., whether they'd still ride along for awhile, even if they don't attach).

Nice Hood photos, too -- great clouds!

Tom :)

potato

Post by potato » April 18th, 2012, 7:50 am

Thanks Tom. We use Frontline or some similar medicine as well. I never saw a single tick on Bombadil, neither climbing around on him nor already embedded, but it's entirely possible I missed a couple.

Still trying to figure out if my itchy shins are because of poison oak, or if I just scratched them on something...
Joe hikes (PCT blog)

roadtripmom

Post by roadtripmom » April 18th, 2012, 5:56 pm

Unbelievable photos ! :o I loved every one, especially the bark closeups. Thank you for sharing.

Amanda
Filling my bucket, one hike at a time.
Amanda

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » April 18th, 2012, 6:43 pm

Remember when using Frontline, still check for ticks. I've found them twice on my dogs. They were engorged to the size of a small corn nut kernel. It takes up to 48 hours to kill them with fronline. They are pretty creepy when they are that size.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

potato

Post by potato » April 19th, 2012, 8:48 am

Thanks Amanda... yeah that bark is really weird. Looks fake.

WS -- still haven't found any ticks on him... yeah, I've found them at that size too, it's really disgusting! I'm pretty good at getting them out by now though.
Joe hikes (PCT blog)

hlee

Post by hlee » April 19th, 2012, 3:32 pm

Cool photos. Some of the cliff shots almost have the effect of tilt-shift photos.

They did make my toes tingle a bit. The thought of one of my idiot dogs anywhere near a cliff edge like that makes my teeth clench, but I'm just ridiculously over-protective like that. (Plus, our smallest dog almost got run off the cliff at Eagle Creek a few weeks ago by someone's unleashed dog running around.)

I like all the photos of the flora, too. I never think to take picture of things like that.

Hannah

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.
-- T.S. Eliot

Schoolteacher John

Post by Schoolteacher John » April 20th, 2012, 6:57 pm

So that's what it looks like up close! I've seen that from across the river, and I always thought it looked like fun to climb. Thank you for the wonderful photos.

Stefrobrts

Post by Stefrobrts » April 21st, 2012, 9:52 am

hlee wrote:They did make my toes tingle a bit. The thought of one of my idiot dogs anywhere near a cliff edge like that makes my teeth clench
Glad I'm not the only one who was thinking that! Mine are idiots too - I would have been hanging onto the leash tight!

Gorgeous pictures! Thanks for sharing :)
Stephanie
Vancouver, WA

drm

Post by drm » April 21st, 2012, 10:21 am

Just wanted to pass on to lovers of this area that with the approval of the management plan covering the area from Coyote Wall east past Catherine Creek, trail work starts this year. The Washington Trail Assoc has trips planned next weekend and in early May. Then maybe some more in the fall. You can look them up at wta.org and sign up if so inclined. I don't know what the exact plans are for the first trips, though I think some of the worst sections of trail may get rerouted.