3/25/12 Beacon Rock State Park Hike /Plenty of snow!

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
mileagemike25000

3/25/12 Beacon Rock State Park Hike /Plenty of snow!

Post by mileagemike25000 » March 25th, 2012, 6:57 pm

I went hiking solo today so I decided to go to Beacon Rock State Park as it's close to home. I really wanted to see for myself just how much snow was still out there? I arrived at the trailhead and found the parking lot had quite a few vehicles in it already!
1 Beacon Rock Equestrian Trailhead.jpg
I walked up the trail/road and passed a few streams.
2 Stream Along Trail.JPG
And started seeing more than a few patches at about 1500ft.
3 Trail #1.JPG
I reached the first intersection with the Hardy Ridge Trail but kept going to try a long loop that goes past the equestrian bridge.
4 First Intersection to Hardy Ridge.JPG
I reached the 2nd intersection and turned left to go up the road toward the Bridge Trail.
5 2nd Intersection to Bridge Trail.JPG
This trail had plenty of snow on it but was easily hiked. There were footprints from a few hikers but no significant traffic was observed.
6 Toward Bridge Trail.JPG
When I finally reached the Bridge Trail Intersection the snow was about 8" to 1ft deep. There was significant foot traffic turning onto the Bridge Trail but I never saw anyone from that group. I did bump into a couple of guys that said the snow depth on the ridge to Hamilton Mt was about a foot deep so I wasn't concerned about snow depth at this point!
7 Intersection with Bridge Trail.JPG
The Bridge Trail was completely snowed in and the depth was variable depending on whether there was tree cover or open terrain. I really appreciated the people who compressed the snow before me or it would have been even more work!
8 Bridge Trail #1.JPG
9 Bridge Trail Snowed in.JPG
But there were several streams along the way where the ground was exposed.
10 Stream across Bridge Trail.JPG
11 Closer view.JPG
And the snow depth kept getting deeper and deeper as I approached the Equestrian Bridge. Note that my hiking stick is about 45" long! Doesn't look so bad so far at about 1ft.
12 Snow Depth on trail.JPG
But I finally reached the Equestrian Bridge and found the snow depth on the bridge to be greater than 2ft.! What's more is the snow is fairly soft and post holing would have been frequent if not for the previous hikers.
13 Equestrian Bridge.JPG
14 Snow depth on bridge (2ft+) !.JPG
I moved across the bridge and was quite surprised that the snow depth had suddenly increased significantly to 3ft! At this point ( and really much sooner) it became apparent that snow shoes were a must! It could be that this high snow depth is very localized but I didn't want to risk it alone.
15 Snow depth past bridge (3ft)!.JPG
At this point I didn't know if the Upper Hardy Creek Trail was also this bad but I wasn't going to find out. There comes a time when you turn around to hike another day! I ended up hiking back up the trail and going to the picnic area where the trail crosses Hardy Creek. I then went back to the car and drove home.

Hamilton Mt. seemed to be accessible as I did see 2 couples come down past the picnic area but it is evident that the Bridge Trail and possible the Upper Hardy Creek Trail are good opportunities for snow shoeing. Also note that I only made it to an elevation of about 1850 ft on this trip and went about 8 miles!

Have a great hike!

Eric Peterson

Re: 3/25/12 Beacon Rock State Park Hike /Plenty of snow!

Post by Eric Peterson » March 26th, 2012, 5:58 am

Hey Mike, nice TR :)

Any chance you have a Topo of your hike? Trying to figure out where that horse
bridge is, I'm guessing it crosses Hardy Creek pretty far up the trail.

EDIT = went looking and found a DN map in the PH Field Guide -

mileagemike25000

Post by mileagemike25000 » March 26th, 2012, 7:21 pm

Hi Eric! I've attached the map of my hike to show the location of the bridge. It looks to me like your map has the location of the new bridge. If you want I can give you the actual coordinates of the bridge but your map looks pretty good!
Beacon Rock Hiking Map with Equestrian Bridge.JPG
And here's a view from the bridge that I forgot in the TR.
View upstream from the bridge.JPG
The actual trail I was trying to hike is shown below.
Trail I wanted to hike!.JPG
Have a great hike!

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » March 27th, 2012, 5:59 am

Awesome Mike, thanks for sticking that map in.

I just haven't explored up that far in there yet, should add that to my 2012 goals list :)