Saddle Mountain 20 JUN 08

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
AlexanderSupertramp

Saddle Mountain 20 JUN 08

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » June 21st, 2008, 1:21 pm

Much thanks go to Jane for planting the seed of inspiration for this hike (http://portlandhikers.com/forums/thread/60334.aspx). Having never done the trail, I don't know what it looked like before. But like Jane said, you could tell the amount of work that has been done is amazing! There is still a lot of work left however. I had gone out there originally on Tuesday only to find a locked gate and a "Closed Monday - Thursday" sign. Drats!!! That'll teach me not to call ahead. Oh well, my daughter and I went together yesterday and found another sign at the trail head. "Trail impassable". Hmmm. We knew it was going to be a sketchy hike, but technically the trail is closed. We decided to proceed and turn back if / when it got to wicked. It was every bit as fantastic as Jane had described. We completed it in about 4 hours mostly due to the fact that daddy takes pictures and we hold hands in the "Crumbly rock" parts. It definitely is precarious in spots, but never in areas of great exposure. Not enough to scare Thea back, so we did it. We actually ran into quite a bit of folk on the way back down, so it doesn't look like the "Closed" trail is scaring to many people away. Here are some pictures.

Jane

Re: Saddle Mountain 20 JUN 08

Post by Jane » June 21st, 2008, 8:54 pm

AlexanderSupertramp wrote:Much thanks go to Jane for planting the seed of inspiration for this hike (http://portlandhikers.com/forums/thread/60334.aspx). Having never done the trail, I don't know what it looked like before. But like Jane said, you could tell the amount of work that has been done is amazing! There is still a lot of work left however. I had gone out there originally on Tuesday only to find a locked gate and a "Closed Monday - Thursday" sign. Drats!!! That'll teach me not to call ahead. .[]
Hey AlexanderSupertramp, I am SO sorry about the closed trail!! And to ZacharyP who also went out on a weekday, I saw NO signs alerting to their closure on the weekdays! I sure hope both of you had a plan B and didn't waste your day or drive!

Great report and photos above, I havn't had time to write a report or edit my photos from last Sunday, I hope it's okay if I just glop some on here behind yours : )

June 15th Saddle Mtn. parking lot:
6-15-08 Saddle Mtn. lot.JPG
begining trail:
6-15-08 Saddle. Mt. beginning trail.JPG
later trail challenges:
6-15-08 Saddle Mtn. trail challenges.JPG
indications of recent trail work:
6-15-08 Saddle Mtn. recent cut logs.JPG
careful here!
6-15-08 Saddle Mtn. rocky section.JPG
many pretty flowers:
6-15-08 Saddle Mtn. Indian Paintbrush.JPG
6-15-08 Saddle Mts. white flowers.JPG
6-15-08 Saddle Mtn. yellow flowers.JPG
6-15-08 Saddle Mtn. pretty flowers.JPG
6-15-08 Saddle Mtn. more flowers.JPG
6-15-08 Saddle Mtn. flower hillside.JPG
Did you notice this trail marker (seveal feet up from trail on hillside)?
6-15-08 Saddle Mtn. trailmarker.JPG
it's just beyond (upward) from this bridge:
6-15-08 Saddle Mtn. bridge below trail marker.JPG

and pretty views:
615-08 Saddle Mtn. blue sky views.JPG
6-15-08 Saddle Mtn. beautiful views.JPG
[
6-15-08 Saddle Mts. trail view.JPG
looking back down from near summit:
6-15-08 Saddle Mtn. looking down on trail steps.JPG
cool rock formation:
6-15-08 Saddle Mtn. Rocky formation.JPG
The summit was foggy, but occassionally gave glimpses of green:
6-15-08 Saddle Mtn. foggy summitt.JPG
6-15-08 JG Saddle Mtn..JPG
6-15-08 Saddle Mtn. blue skies trying.JPG

On the way and then back down I noted a yellow rainslicker stashed by a tool box, I noticed some lettering on it so I opened it up to read it - a forgotten belonging to some of the hard trail workers!
6-15-09 Saddle Mtn. rainslicker.JPG

I'm so glad you had a beautiful day with your daughter, did you see any wildlife? Besides some soaring hawks and other birds, I was blessed with some lovely does who let me watch them a hundred yards or so from the road on the way out.(I didn't want to frighten them away so I didn't reach for the camera).

So...Saddle Mtn. is a great hike right now, but check the open hours I guess! :roll:

fettster

Post by fettster » June 22nd, 2008, 8:51 am

I've read Saddle Mountain has the best flower display in the Coast Range. Your photos definitely support that! Good to read you both made it to the top.

AlexanderSupertramp

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » June 23rd, 2008, 11:43 am

No problem Jane! When I got turned back I wound up doing a nice little hike not far from there called Bloom Lake. Thank again,

Adam