Silver Falls State Park - 10/18/08

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
justpeachy

Silver Falls State Park - 10/18/08

Post by justpeachy » October 26th, 2008, 7:44 am

After much debate, last weekend Greg and I decided to go away for the weekend to Silverton so we could visit Silver Falls. We stayed at a lovely B&B called the Water Street Inn and Saturday morning we drove out to the park to have a look at the autumn colors. (All pictures here.)

We started at South Falls, where the bigleaf maple that appears in almost every autumn shot of South Falls was in full color.

The vine maple in the park was quite lovely...

... but 75% of the bigleaf maples hadn't turned yet.

Lower South Falls:

Lower North Falls:

I have no pictures of Middle North Falls, although it looked beautiful. I think it's weird and irritating that the park built a platform viewing deck for pitiful little Drake Falls, but they couldn't do the same for Middle North. You have to stand on the trail to see it and photograph it, holding up traffic on a busy Saturday like this one. When we arrived, there was a photographer taking pictures, and several people with point-and-shoots waiting their turn, and another photographer coming down the trail with a tripod. Even people not taking pictures just wanted to get a look and were stopping. There was no room; it was a bottleneck. I don't blame the hikers, I blame the State Park for not setting up a viewing area. Anyway, I hate crowds and I hate standing around waiting my turn to take a picture, so I told Greg I'd meet him further up the trail and skedaddled.

At Twin Falls, which of course can't be seen from the trail, Greg waded across the creek above the falls to get a picture from the other side. I have no evidence of his adventures to show you since it may be Christmas before he gets around to processing these photos; you'll have to use your imagination. ;)

And finally, North Falls. I was losing steam and we skipped Upper North.

It was a nice day for a hike. Although cloudy for most of the day, it never rained (yay!) and the temperature was mild. The fall colors were pretty, although I do wish that more of the maples had turned yellow. It would be really pretty if they all turned yellow at the same time.

meana39

Re: Silver Falls State Park - 10/18/08

Post by meana39 » October 26th, 2008, 8:03 am

What beautiful photos! I've only been there in the spring, I'll have to give autumn a try it seems. Last time I was there was on our 21st wedding anniversary, it's only about a 2 hour drive from our home, and then we stopped at Multnomah Falls for dinner. I like the B&B idea though!
Thanks for sharing....will have to work on that "all the trees turning yellow at the same time" request....I don't think I have much influence on that one though ;)
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. ~John Muir

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » October 18th, 2018, 3:26 am

Throwback Thursday! :mrgreen: Ten years ago to the day.

Anyone have photos from this season?

Naturebat

Post by Naturebat » October 18th, 2018, 9:42 am

Wow, stunningly beautiful photos! That first shot in the opening photo is my favorite. The fall colors really look enticing, although the crowds are the main reason why I haven't hiked there, yet.
- Previously ElementalFX